PDA

View Full Version : Adele Rants About Tax

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

modern_muslimah
05-27-2011, 10:19 PM
We may be spoiled by American standards but just the other day I spent 30 min stuck between King's Cross and Camden in the ancient London tube:( So, NO.

Try living in a city with no subway system and where the buses run every 1/2 hour during peak hours and every hour during non-peak hours and weekends. They're actually scheduled to run that badly. Heaven forbid there's a traffic jam on top of it. To top it off, on Sunday there span of two-three hours where the buses don't run! The crappy mass transit schedule here, which seems to get worse and worse, has made me learn how to drive real fast. Of course that doesn't help much with gas prices being so fecking high! :mad:

Let's just say I would kill to have access to the London mass transit system right now.

made_in_canada
05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry, but I side with Adele. Where is the justice in taxing anyone to that extent? Do we really want to base government policy on pandering to envy? Do we really want another wave of tax-exiles , the 'Brain-Drain' as it was known? Adele has the right to complain because she earned her money.

My Dad makes enough money that his tax rate is about 50%. He earned it, yes, and has no problems paying his taxes. As far as he's concerned the wealthy should pay more tax. It's not like he can't afford to live due to his taxes, he still has plenty to have a very comfortable lifestyle. And he appreciates that him and his family have access to some pretty decent medical care, relatively good infrastructure and whole ton of other things that we tend to take for granted.

And let's just clarify; I for sure would go ballistic at a 4m tax bill but I would do it in private and NOT bleat to the press about it in a climate where most Brits would tell her where to go shove it!!

This. Incredibly bad judgement to air her grievances to the press.

caseyedwards
05-27-2011, 11:32 PM
She's paying her taxes. She doesn't want to go to a place and not be taxed. She wants good service for her money.

overedge
05-27-2011, 11:45 PM
She's paying her taxes. She doesn't want to go to a place and not be taxed. She wants good service for her money.

Yes, that is what she said. What's your point?

MacMadame
05-28-2011, 03:20 AM
She should count herself lucky that she can afford to make her own choices when the majority of Brits cannot.
Exactly. I bet she didn't complain about the tax system when she was making less money. Now suddenly it's unfair because she's rich. I'd take being rich and paying a lot of taxes

Also, if she ever gets cancer or some other major illness, she'll get her 4 million's worth of services back pretty quickly.

My Dad makes enough money that his tax rate is about 50%. He earned it, yes, and has no problems paying his taxes. As far as he's concerned the wealthy should pay more tax. It's not like he can't afford to live due to his taxes, he still has plenty to have a very comfortable lifestyle. And he appreciates that him and his family have access to some pretty decent medical care, relatively good infrastructure and whole ton of other things that we tend to take for granted.
I'm glad he has perspective. While the amounts the rich pay is higher, those who aren't wealthy are often paying a greater percentage of their disposable income in taxes and have a lot less left over when they are done.

triple_toe
05-28-2011, 05:35 AM
I'm just tickled that Adele has reached the level of popularity where she people get their knickers in a knot over her comments about taxes. :encore:

If I had to pay 50% of my income in taxes, I'd be pretty pissed too. How old is she? 22? I've heard plenty of 22 years olds say things much more stupid or offensive than this, let alone 22 year old musicians. I really don't see anything wrong with what she said. Taxation is a hot-button issue in many countries, especially in the context of quality of government services provided, pork barrel spending, etc. What's wrong with expressing displeasure about it? It's not like she said "50% of my income is too much, so I'm not going to pay it at all." Not liking laws is not the same thing as not abiding by them. Plenty of people share her views that taxation has run rampant, just like plenty of people disagree.

Granted, her comments about getting a gun and shooting were not in the best taste, but Americans are hyper-aware of things like this now while others are not. There are things people in other countries are very sensitive to at which Americans wouldn't bat an eyelash. I give her a pass on this one.

Dr.Siouxs
05-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Agreed. Doesn't she have PR? They must be aghast. Like her music, but that's not smart(and makes me feel better about missing her Philly concert).

Ooooh take that Adele. :rolleyes:

Prancer
05-28-2011, 06:14 AM
There are things people in other countries are very sensitive to at which Americans wouldn't bat an eyelash. I give her a pass on this one.

Except it isn't just Americans who think her comments are insensitive.

And let's just clarify; I for sure would go ballistic at a 4m tax bill but I would do it in private and NOT bleat to the press about it in a climate where most Brits would tell her where to go shove it!!

Taxes, like so many other things, are relative.

rjblue
05-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm just tickled that Adele has reached the level of popularity where she people get their knickers in a knot over her comments about taxes. :encore:Me too. This is a girl who cancelled her first USA tour to be with her boyfriend. I wouldn't expect that her responses in interviews would be filtered to what is PC to say.

Allskate
05-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Exactly. I bet she didn't complain about the tax system when she was making less money.

She was only 19 when she released her first big album. (Hence the name of the album.) She didn't have much time to struggle and she may just not be very aware of what it is like for the average person. I've known affluent people who were just wildly out of touch with what daily life and financial stresses are like. In her interviews, she has struck me as very young and very unfiltered.

I don't particularly care for her comments because they do make her seem rather greedy and insensitive. But, that's a different issue from her music. I'm certainly still looking forward to seeing her in concert soon -- even if I did have to think hard about whether I could really afford to go.

triple_toe
05-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Except it isn't just Americans who think her comments are insensitive.

Oh, definitely. I just mean that perhaps being born in London, Adele does not find her comments are as insensitive as say, someone from Blacksburg, Virginia would. It wasn't a smart thing to say, but I get the impression that she talks to interviewers like she would her friends. I've certainly said things like "I wanted to kill so and so" when I'm explaining how mad I was at someone, but it doesn't mean I literally wanted to commit homicide (well, usually... :shuffle: ;)). While I wouldn't say that to an interviewer, I also don't get interviewed :lol:. I'm sure I'd say something stupid that would be taken the wrong way if I had reporters constantly asking me questions about everything under the moon.

It's more of an off-hand phrase that is just a euphemism for being angry. So to me, although her comments aren't necessarily excusable, they are understandable. YMMV.

JJH
05-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Who's Adele?

BigB08822
05-29-2011, 01:57 AM
You pay that much in taxes then you should be able to complain. I don't see the big deal. If I spent a lot of money on a product and it didn't do what it was supposed to I wouldn't just let it go, I would complain and try to get it fixed or replaced.

Lara
05-29-2011, 04:13 AM
Ooooh take that Adele. :rolleyes:

Um, that was more trying to console myself than being serious about a boycott (which I'm well aware would have zero impact on her!)

It's true that she did become successful young, it's hard to remember she's only in her early 20's when you hear her songs. And we've all said/done stupid things at that age. Still, I do hope she gains some perspective as she gets older no matter how rich she becomes. And by all means *do* fight for that 4mil to be well spent.

Allskate
05-29-2011, 04:36 AM
You pay that much in taxes then you should be able to complain. I don't see the big deal. If I spent a lot of money on a product and it didn't do what it was supposed to I wouldn't just let it go, I would complain and try to get it fixed or replaced.

If you pay any amount in taxes, you shoud be able to complain about how those taxes are being used. The problem is that Adele was speaking about much more than that and it came across as being a bit self-interested and insensitive. There's a recession going on. A lot of people are not going to be very sympathetic about someone who "only" made four million pounds from their album. And I don't have a lot of patience for people who only want taxes going to things that they personally benefit from.