PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Audition rounds (starts 5/26)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Angelskates
05-28-2011, 12:47 AM
I loved Melanie, easily my favourite girl.

I wish they didn't include any back stories.

rfisher
05-28-2011, 01:03 AM
I found out today my stylist tried out for this show. He got as far as dancing before the judges. He said his technique wasn't good enough and he came home and took some ballet (he did ballroom). He said the experience was very intense and somewhat grueling to get to that point. He didn't mention it being fun.

I told him at least he didn't end up on TV as a bad act. He said one dancer from his group was picked as a bad act for TV. Those people know that's the deal before they come and all the drama about not being picked is faked.

Aceon6
05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
He didn't mention it being fun.

One of the members of my niece's company made Top 40 a few seasons back. He said the worst part (after sleeping in line) was losing edge in between dancing for the lower level producers, then the real producers, then coming back for the judges, and, in his case, the choreo round. He said Vegas was hell week on steroids. The different styles put different stresses on his body, and there was very little down time. I think he said the most sleep he got was 4 hours. Only the fittest survive.

genevieve
05-28-2011, 01:35 AM
One of the members of my niece's company made Top 40 a few seasons back. He said the worst part (after sleeping in line) was losing edge in between dancing for the lower level producers, then the real producers, then coming back for the judges, and, in his case, the choreo round.
Does all of this happen on one day? I think on AI, the auditions with the producers is at least a few days before the ones with the judges (which is why we sometimes get fluff on auditioners who then get totally torn apart by the judges). I can't imagine how how hard that is on both the body and the mind to have to keep prepping yourself for performance mode and then sitting around for hours. And of course ideally the best performance is the last one, but you have to make sure you get to that last round so every stage is critical. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

rfisher
05-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Alex said it's several days worth of endurance. I asked if he'd considered trying out again and he said no way.

Aceon6
05-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Alex said it's several days worth of endurance. I asked if he'd considered trying out again and he said no way.

The kid I mentioned auditioned in Boston. One day in line and pre-screening with a first level audition after a couple of false warmups. Callbacks were on a different day with several rounds, and the Nigel auditions/choreo on yet another day.

Holley Calmes
05-28-2011, 04:31 AM
I know several people who auditioned. One of our really wonderful alumni from where I work got to Vegas, but he got cut there. His ballroom was lacking. He was also too short, I think, but he's fabulous and has his own dance company out of San Francisco- Post:Ballet. He is a member of Company C Contemporary Dance Company. He was one of Dance Magazine's "25 To Watch in 2011." So I guess even if you don't make SYTYCD, your career isn't over.

One of our little senior girls tried out last year. Beautiful child, but I knew she didn't stand a chance. She was a lovely ballerina and could handle contemporary, but that was it. Still, she got to the judges. She said the first day was all filling out forms and dancing for underling producers and being interviewed and photographed. She was asked to come back for day 2, but then she was cut that day. Fun stories to pass on to her grandkids, I guess.

walei
05-30-2011, 02:31 AM
I didn't watch last season so I didn't know who Ryan was but she totally rocked her 1 minute of screen time during the Glee finale.

I also like the black girl near the beginning of the episode. But seriously though, I still don't 'get' contemporary dancing. A lot of their dance moves look like constipated robots waiting in line for the toilet.

rfisher
05-30-2011, 02:43 AM
. But seriously though, I still don't 'get' contemporary dancing. A lot of their dance moves look like constipated robots waiting in line for the toilet.

:rofl: I don't get it either, but I like this description.

Cheylana
05-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Am I the only one who thought Melanie's hair looked just like Sasha's new haircut? Add her flexibility in and I was calling her "Sasha" all night. :D
Not the only one; I was thinking the same thing! A less graceful Sasha with a sob story

genevieve
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
I didn't think of it at the time, but I agree that her hair looks a bit like Sasha's. except it looks more natural on Melanie than on Sasha, who in my mind's eye can only have straightened longer hair pressed into the tightest bun on the planet, or hanging loose when she's making cookies

Theatregirl1122
06-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Are we continuing in this thread tonight?

genevieve
06-02-2011, 01:08 AM
yes please!

oh wait, do you mean instead of starting a new one? Seems like we may be able to get through at least the prelim auditions (maybe even Vegas) before needing to go to a new thread each week - eys?

Theatregirl1122
06-02-2011, 01:09 AM
yes please!

oh wait, do you mean instead of starting a new one? Seems like we may be able to get through at least the prelim auditions (maybe even Vegas) before needing to go to a new thread each week - eys?

I thought so, too. But then the thread was titled with last week's date. So I wasn't sure. :shuffle:

I thought the typical Nigel blond dancer needed a serious extension on her shorts.

PrincessLeppard
06-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Who is the judge with the giant fake lips?