PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Audition rounds (starts 5/26)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21

Cheylana
06-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Worked late (again - ugh!) and had to catch this on the DVR late last night. I was really impressed with just about every dancer they showed - so much talent. The judges will have their hands full trying to narrow down the pool to 20 dancers! :eek:

Jeanine's sister was good but not great, it just seemed to be a lot of disjointed HMV moves set to music. I didn't get the feeling that the judges were all that impressed with her either, even their gushing seemed a bit forced. But she's only 18, and the trip to Vegas may do great things for her continued development.

I didn't think the guy with the pregnant girlfriend was as good as everyone else made out. I also thought it was kind of awkward when Cat asked them if the pregnancy was an accident - felt like an overreach there.

genevieve
06-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Jeanine Mason is kind of in actor mode these days.
http://twitter.com/#!/itsjeaninemason

Hmmmm. In one of her tweets she mentions being at the up-fronts for Fox. I wonder if she's going to be an all-star.
If you read down in her Twitter account, she talks of working with Sonya Tayeh and "the SYTYCD crew" on a piece and there's a photo. I wonder if those are the all-stars for the season. if so, Alex will be one!!

PeterG
06-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty certain I could do most of what some of these dancers do.

I'm kinda certain I can do some of what most figure skaters can do.

Meredith
06-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Would that be to fall, Peter? :D

numbers123
06-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Are they doing All-Stars this season?

One could only hope that they DO NOT. But reading later in the thread it appears that they will.

I personaly that the All-Stars detracted from the current contestants. How many of last seasons routines do you think that the current contestant was showcased, or were you more interested in seeing a previous favorite dance? By and large the stars outshone/overpowered the current contestants. I want it to be about the current season not the previous ones.

pixie cut
06-04-2011, 08:58 PM
One could only hope that they DO NOT. But reading later in the thread it appears that they will.

I personaly that the All-Stars detracted from the current contestants. How many of last seasons routines do you think that the current contestant was showcased, or were you more interested in seeing a previous favorite dance? By and large the stars outshone/overpowered the current contestants. I want it to be about the current season not the previous ones.

I TOTALLY agree. Although I loved watching some of the previous competitors -- Pasha, Anya, Kathryn, Twitch, Ade, Allison and Mark -- I thought they often overshadowed the season's competitors. It also lacked the freshness of the blending of talents. Unexpected couplings like Jamie and Hok, Sara and Pasha, Chelsie and Mark, Katee and Joshua, Melissa and Ade, and Ellinore and Ryan brought so much excitement to the show. The All Stars often came off like a round of Pro/Am.

rfisher
06-04-2011, 09:17 PM

That would be me. Well, actually no, because I wouldn't put on ice skates in the first place.

PeterG
06-05-2011, 12:17 AM

That would be me. Well, actually no, because I wouldn't put on ice skates in the first place.

HEY! I can do BOTH of those moves!!! :cheer2: :D :cheer:

Cyn
06-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I made the mistake of reading the Spoilers thread over at TWoP. Without giving anything away, all I'll say is that there's going to be a whole bunch of :mitchell: :mad: :wall: :blah: at who makes it (or rather, who doesn't) through Vegas Hell.

Aceon6
06-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I made the mistake of reading the Spoilers thread over at TWoP. Without giving anything away, all I'll say is that there's going to be a whole bunch of :mitchell: :mad: :wall: :blah: at who makes it (or rather, who doesn't) through Vegas Hell.

Dunno about TWoP. Trandrew has most of the girls and a few of the boys with videos. I don't see any surprises and I'm pleasantly surprised by a few selections.

Each year, SYTYCD has three categories "expected and connected", "extraordinary regional talent" and "cannon fodder." Of the girls, I recognize three in the EandC category and one ERT. Holley can probably point out others and where they might fall.

Matryeshka
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM

This is why I wish they would show more of Vegas week than the auditions. I'm going to at least hope that some of our early audition favorites just could not handle other styles, or in some cases choreographed versions of their own styles, and that's why they were cut, because they way they do it now seems so scripted, even by reality competition standards.

It's rather silly to me, and a waste of the producers' money, to do backstory on all these candidates who never make it past Vegas Day 2. Let's get down to the wire and THEN let us get attached to dancers before utterly breaking out heart.

Cheylana
06-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Longer version of Melanie Moore's audition piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnflvBjUwo

Thank you for posting - actually, I like Melanie a lot better on second view!

Allskate
06-05-2011, 11:16 PM

I think it's hard to know who should have made it, but didn't without having seen so many of the auditions. There are several on there that I wasn't all that impressed by and I'm sure I would have preferred others. But, some of my favorites are on the spoiler list. For those who don't want to search, here's the spoiler list from TWOP:

1. Melanie Moore Contemporary
2. Miranda Maleski Contemporary
3. Ryan Ramirez Contemporary
4. Jordan Casanova Jazz
5. Sasha Mallory Hip Hop
6. Ashley ? - Contemporary (Originally listed as Ashley Everett, but that has now been changed to an unknown Ashley)
7. Caitlyn Lawson Ballroom
8. Iveta Lukosiute Ballroom
9. Missy Morelli Contemporary Jazz
10. Clarice Ordaz Jazz

Guys:
1. Ricky Jaime Contemporary
2. Marko Germar Contemporary/Jazz/Hip Hop
3. Jess LeProtto Musical Theatre/Broadway
4. Robert Taylor Jr. Hip Hop
5. Nick Young - Tap
6. ? Hip Hop/Breaker
7. ? Hip Hop/Breaker
8. ? Hip Hop/Breaker
9. ? Ballet (Not Alex Wong)
10. ? ? (Not Ballroom)

I'm very, very happy to see Melanie on the list. If Ashley is the Ashley from the SF auditions, then that's good, too. I didn't care for Jordan's audition, so I hope she just chose that dance in order to get Nigel's attention and actually is capable of better. Ryan is kind of meh to me. Is this "hip-hop" Sasha the sister we saw this week? I guess she is more likely to be able to a variety of kinds of dance than someone like Hero. I'm glad Iveta finally made it. I don't remember seeing any of the other girls' auditions.

I'm glad to see Jess made it. That kind of surprised me given how Nigel has treated certain Broadway dancers in the past. I thought Marko was good, but not great, but he's cute and has a good backstory, so it's not surprising that he made it. I don't think I saw the other named guys audition. I hope the four hip-hop guys are able to partner other dances. They may just be guys that Nigel is going to pretend are street dancers with no training.

Aceon6
06-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Hmmm, the TWoP list was copied word for word from trandrew.com. Hope whoever did it gave the source and link. It's Andrew who's doing the hard work of tracking these folks down.

pollyanna
06-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Is this "hip-hop" Sasha the sister we saw this week? I guess she is more likely to be able to a variety of kinds of dance than someone like Hero.

Yes.

Also see here (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3199686&postcount=261).