PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Audition rounds (starts 5/26)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21

genevieve
06-02-2011, 06:26 AM
jesus q christ on a stick, I think there were more minutes of commercials than show tonight :rolleyes:

I despise Robin Antin. I watched both seasons of her show (searching for the next PCD and creating Girlicious) :shuffle: but she is frightening and totally one note. I knew she would love that first blonde girl who danced VERY PCD style, but why o why did she have to troll for new PCDs all day long? :blah: Seriously, wasn't Lauri Ann Gibson available to help judge? :EVILLE:

Amnesia girl - very sweet, clearly not ready for this level of competition, but her smile during her audition won me over. This is the type of "no" audition I want to see, not the deluded mess or combative famewhores.

I didn't need naked boy's girl trouble stories, and in some ways the nekkidness showed off some imperfections in his technique, but I loved his choreography and performance. Yay MODERN dance!! And gotta admit, the dude's physique is impressive. Even to me! :P

I can't believe how much time they devoted to that Starr whackjob. But I'm even more offended that someone praised her performance skills. I can only imagine it was because they realized she probably wouldn't get off the stage if they didn't say something nice.

I missed what was up with the girl whose dad came on stage - but he was awesome!

I thought Lady Lookyloo or whatever was going to be awful but she was totally fabulous!! I'm shocked they sent her straight to Vegas though, because -though her "whack"ing was amazing, those 2 leaps she did in the routine didn't inspire confidence that she is going to be able to handle more traditional styles. but there were a couple of people they sent through because they were already counting votes, so whatevs.

I liked Krump for Khrist guy No, really! I thought his krump was phenomenal, and I liked that he took Nigel's slams against Krump ("such an attractive dance" and "I know all about the anger that drives you to do this" blah blah blah) and turned it back on him. Plus, from the little we saw in the choreo round he did very well. He even took Mary's comments (which I agreed with) with a minimum of fuss and I think he really listened. The only snark I have was his comment about taking krump back from the mainstream....by auditioning for the most mainstream dance program on tv :lol:

It was just FRONG that Mary Kate the Irish dancer had to go through choreography :huh: Her legs were completely amazing in her audition :eek:

Loved the hip hop guy who Irish stepped his way to his golden ticket :cheer2:

Jess the musical theater guy was fantastic. My favorite of the night. Criminal they sent him to choreo, because there was no way he wasn't going to be able to do it, and if the issue was his smiling or whatever he wasn't likely to fix that in just a couple of hours. Glad he's going to Vegas, hope he is able to 'fix' whatever they said was wrong because I want him in the top 20.

Latin ballroom girl was ok. I was happy to see some ballroom, for sure, but of all the ballroom folks was she really the best they had to offer us? And WTF I wanted to see Flamenco girl!!!! :wuzrobbed

Iveta is even more frighteningly skinny than last time :scream: Wish we'd seen her apparently amazing dance :(

Glad we ended with a nice audition. I hope Woo Guy does more than wooooo in Vegas, but that was a great dance. Of course, we started with Amnesia Girl and end with Amnesia Judges, since they forget all the hip hop dance they've seen on SYTYCD where the dancer puts entertainment and personality front and center (er....Hok, Twitch, Dominic immediately come to mind).

Whatevs - on to LA!!

pixie cut
06-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I want to see Iveta's driver's license or passport, because honestly there's no way she's still age eligible. If she truly is no older than 30, she should take better care of herself because she looks around 40. She's World 10-dance champion, so of course she is great in her genre, but this is her third time trying out for the show. There was a tiny clip of her last season. It's not happening for her.

I'm with everyone else, I do not understand why Mary Kate, the step dancer, had to go through to choreography. What didn't she do in her audition?

Yellow fringe ballroom girl was nothing special in ballroom let alone choreography. How did she make it through to Las Vegas?

AYS
06-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I had no idea Mary was getting treated for thyroid cancer, I guess I've been out of the SYTYCD loop lately. I hope she continues in good health. No wonder she's been more low key. And while I actually loved the non-mainstream krump guy's dancing AND his attitude for the most part, I thought her point about not alienating people in the business was well taken and well expressed too. She said her piece in a "just a bit of advice" kind of way, then just moved on to the dancing critique.

Jayar
06-02-2011, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=pixie cut;3198910]I want to see Iveta's driver's license or passport, because honestly there's no way she's still age eligible. If she truly is no older than 30, she should take better care of herself because she looks around 40. She's World 10-dance champion, so of course she is great in her genre, but this is her third time trying out for the show. There was a tiny clip of her last season. It's not happening for her.
[QUOTE]

She was 29 in 2009 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1u-v7kBFN4, so this is her last shot (she probably *just* made the cut off date). Given that there HAS to be someone who dances ballroom on the show, I am guessing that she has a realistic shot. She is the best in her genre, so it just means that she needs to get through the other styles. I think she has a real shot.

Jayar
06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
P.S. She turns 31 on June 29th.

pixie cut
06-02-2011, 06:12 PM
P.S. She turns 31 on June 29th.

She is a beautiful dancer, but she looks really old for her age.

She was cut in season six during a round where the heinous Laurieann Gibson choreographed. She was only shown for a second last year, so who knows when or why she was cut, but it was well before they were picking the final 10/11. It would be nice to have a really strong ballroom dancer on the show because there was none last year.

Cheylana
06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Got home very late from work but still made a valiant effort to watch this on the DVR last night, although I fell asleep somewhere in NYC :coffee:

Robin Antin's "trout pout" was horribly distracting; so was the line of demarcation between her heavily botoxed face and leathery neck - who told her that looked good? :yikes:

I assume they are only sending Krump4Christ to Vegas so they can get the inevitable confrontation/smackdown from Lil' C. Either that or the judging panel was too scared to tell him no :lol:

LOVED Riverdance girl. Probably my fave of the night.

Didn't see the big deal about the "whacking" girl. Maybe I'm missing something.

Seemed like everyone had a sob story, complete with parents crying in the audience. Didn't warm the cockles of my cold dark heart :EVILLE:

Speaking of parents, why did some girl's dad also get a ticket to Vegas? I can only assume he's just going to Vegas in a chaperone role...I hope???

Nigel's jokes with the amnesia girl were not.funny. Stay classy Nigel.

Rob
06-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I got a report from a friend that Irish dance girl is extensively trained in ballet (Joffrey Ballet school), jazz, modern etc. I could tell from her solo she had training in other styles. It was really light and controlled. I was surprised she looked so clunky/stumbly in the choreography.

They have to have some ballroom dancers this year. There was just Cristina the salsa girl last year and she got cut too early.

I thought Krump for Christ was compelling, but what 'tude!

Musical theater guy was good, but he does need more connection to the audience.

pixie cut
06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
I assume they are only sending Krump4Christ to Vegas so they can get the inevitable confrontation/smackdown from Lil' C. Either that or the judging panel was too scared to tell him no :lol:

LOVED Riverdance girl. Probably my fave of the night.

Didn't see the big deal about the "whacking" girl. Maybe I'm missing something.

Seemed like everyone had a sob story, complete with parents crying in the audience. Didn't warm the cockles of my cold dark heart :EVILLE:

Speaking of parents, why did some girl's dad also get a ticket to Vegas? I can only assume he's just going to Vegas in a chaperone role...I hope???

Nigel's jokes with the amnesia girl were not.funny. Stay classy Nigel.

I thought whacking girl was very entertaining but a mediocre dancer. The crying parents were too too much. Nigel's jokes about amnesia girl were offensive. You know Krump4Christ is going to get into a smackdown with someone. That has to be why they sent him to Vegas because from what I saw he sucked at choreography.

Matryeshka
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM

It was a joke. Her father was a dancer, and she made the comment that she had never danced with her dad, so he came up and they danced. Or rather, she stood back and he hammed it up. It was kind of cute.

When they both got the tickets, you could hear Cat's voice dimly above the whooping and posturing, "if only he can prove he's under 30." :lol:

I will say one positive thing for the auditions this year: they have kept the bad auditions to a minimum. IIRC last year, we saw cities where they seemingly had one good dancer to fifteen bad ones.

Rob
06-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I thought whacking girl was very entertaining but a mediocre dancer.

I agree - really cool, but no real showing of technique underneath.

Matryeshka
06-02-2011, 06:59 PM
I liked Princess Whackadoo and was vastly entertained that she went straight through to Vegas. I'm imagining they just gave her a ticket because they knew she wouldn't be able to do the choreography.

Not getting too attached--for the past two seasons, none of the showcased auditions made the show. I'm hoping there are some great dancers out there we won't see till near the end, and hopefully some NEW dancers, besides Iveta. I would really like to see Iveta make it.

I feel like sometimes the contemporary dancers get a pass in other styles because they want to show the best contemporary dancers, but hip hop and ballroom don't get the same. I wish they would do the same for ballroom and hip hop as well. I'd love for them to automatically reserve a spot for the best of--best hip hop, best ballroom. I feel like in other dance styles, you get people that are sort of jack-of-all-trades, master of none, which is why we end up with that annoying married ballroom couple that surely were not the best ballroom dancers that tried out.

Cheylana
06-02-2011, 07:01 PM
It was a joke. Her father was a dancer, and she made the comment that she had never danced with her dad, so he came up and they danced. Or rather, she stood back and he hammed it up. It was kind of cute.

When they both got the tickets, you could hear Cat's voice dimly above the whooping and posturing, "if only he can prove he's under 30." :lol:
Oh - I missed that! :lol:

Forgot mention earlier that I also liked Chyna a lot. And yeah, I was glad they showed mostly good dancers and not too many clunkers like certain other TV shows (looking at you American Idol).

Rob
06-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I think they made an effort to put though more hip hop/different styles this year than in the past and made more people with obvious training go to choreography (like musical theater guy/Irish girl). They have a bio in front of them so I bet they know where these people say they have trained. The producers decide whether to cast the person as untrained street dancer even though their bio shows years of training in different styles (like Russell).

pixie cut
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
The dancing father, although now a few pounds overweight, was actually a very nice dancer. He did more moves in 10 seconds than the Princess Whacky did her whole audition.

As for that video of Russell and Iveta, they were great but that was one of the most obvious examples of producer manipulation. Russell wasn't paired with her by accident. They wanted to make sure he didn't screw up ballroom.