PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Latte
06-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Baez is a jerk and a bad lawyer. He is also inexperienced and should not be on this case.
I don't think he cares if they find her guilty and put her to death. This is all about him and getting himself publicity.

skatemommy
06-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Isn't Baez court appointed? As in FREE for Casey?

milanessa
06-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Isn't Baez court appointed? As in FREE for Casey?

He was originally hired by her family and when the money ran out the court appointed him.

Marge_Simpson
06-08-2011, 04:47 AM
It's been speculated that Baez is just defending Casey because he wants to become death-penalty qualified.
Can anyone update me on who has testified this week? I am still in DC and have not seen anything on the news, apart from Geraldo interviewing someone but not letting them talk. He kept yapping about getting a guilty verdict reversed because Casey was not Mirandized when Yuri Melich interviewed her at Universal. I don't get that, because Casey hadn't been arrested at that point. Why would the police have to read her her rights if they were just interviewing her?

AxelAnnie
06-08-2011, 05:39 AM
OMG - I just lost this entire response (and I was doing it on my phone...GRRRR)

Monday the witnesses were mostly the CSI people. Fascinating, I thought. How they collected the evidence....and they entered scads of stuff into evidence. Also had the guy from the Body Farm in Tennessee............Really interesting. There was a fair amount of stupidity from Baez (When did you first see this.......? On July 17th. OK - did you see it in June?.........he is such a goof)

I think they ended with the trash bag from the car (I had no idea they still had that). What was in it...how they dried it....identified it....and it did NOT smell like a dead body.

Today more about the trash bag. Baez was sure drying the trash somehow tainted everything.

Most interesting today was the dog handler. Learned all about how dogs are trained, what training this dog had, etc. Was very intricate. Videos and pictures of the dog.
Then lots about what searches this dog is done, how searches are conducted, and what happened with the dog both in the yard and around the car. Compelling and believable testimony. The dog hit on the trunk, and in the yard near the playhouse. Evidently they brought the dog back one or two days later, and the dog did NOT hit on the same area in the yard....he hit on nothing. Baez tried to make hay of this. However, it turned out that between the dog's first trip and his second trip, they had scraped away the dirt to take it to the lab to be examined. Yay dog!

Baez was objecting all over the place............and was over ruled pretty much across the board.

So, so far, 7 people and one dog have confirmed that "it smelled like there was a dead body in the damn car"

There is a lot of talk about the Mirandizing or lack thereof. Judge Jeanine Pero said, and I believe this to be true...that there is a (I forget what it is called) exception to the Miranda Warning rules if the life of a child may be in danger, and the police believe that child is out there and needs to be found, and this person can help them find the child. So, I think the defense is toast as to that.

That is all I can remember. Can't wait until the defense puts on their case..........since as near as I can tell....they have none.
Travel safely.

BaileyCatts
06-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Is there an actual timeline to how many days the Prosecution has to present its case? Or it is, when they are done they are done? Just wondering about when the Defense starts to present their, uh .... 'case'.

danceronice
06-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Mirandizing is a fuzzy area--the courts can have a lot of leeway (the 'child-endangerment' probably would be a tough sell here as it's very clear the police interviewing think the kid's already dead so it's not like she's getting any deader as they wait.) If they were obviously treating her as a suspect, while technically she could have asked for counsel any time, rights read or no, they probably should have Mirandized her just to be on the safe side.

Bailey: The state can take as long as it takes--if they've got a lot to present, it takes longer.

Marge_Simpson
06-09-2011, 01:33 AM
I watched Dr. Vass (from the body farm) when he did his deposition and he totally rocked. Good luck to Baez trying to trip HIM up!

zippy
06-09-2011, 03:39 AM
I don't know of anyone who isn't annoyed as hell by Nancy Grace :scream: .

This is a little on the crass side but I had to laugh at one of the posters on the CNN article who suggested that we should just lock Casey, Van der Sloot and Nancy Grace in a room together and see what happens :lol:.

I did catch Dr. Vass and I definitely recommend watching some of his testimony - he was as excellent as Baez was obnoxious. I'm really curious about what the defense is planning or if they just know it's over at this point.

BaileyCatts
06-09-2011, 04:33 AM
I'm really curious about what the defense is planning or if they just know it's over at this point.

Some of us at lunch today think this is what will happen once the Defense gets to present their case: "Your Honor, the Defense Rests". That Baez won't present any defense at all, won't call any witnesses, and will just make up more shyte in his closing statement like he did in his opening statement and be done with it.

Will be interesting whatever he comes up with though. I really hope Casey takes the stand though. I'd love to hear her explain all the people she was "friends" with that don't exsist! Like the man who she claims recommended "Zanny" to her as a nanny because Zanny watched his son, Zachery, who was around the same age as Caylee? The man doesn't even have a child!

Cyn
06-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Some of us at lunch today think this is what will happen once the Defense gets to present their case: "Your Honor, the Defense Rests".

The defense attorneys during the Manson Family trial tried that tactic - we all know how well that worked for them. Hopefully this will have the same outcome.

judiz
06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Given the poor job Baez is doing, I'm shocked he hasn't used the split personality defense, claiming Casey had a split personality and the evil side got rid of Caylee while the nice side had no recollection of what happened.

danceronice
06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
This is a little on the crass side but I had to laugh at one of the posters on the CNN article who suggested that we should just lock Casey, Van der Sloot and Nancy Grace in a room together and see what happens :lol:.

Okay, that I would watch.

And my guess is Baez might be going for any possible help on appeal, including poor defense representation. He hasn't got anything else....

escaflowne9282
06-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Given the poor job Baez is doing, I'm shocked he hasn't used the split personality defense, claiming Casey had a split personality and the evil side got rid of Caylee while the nice side had no recollection of what happened.

Well, IMHO, she's guilty as sin. Even the best defense attorney wouldn't be able to do that much.

taf2002
06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
If she gets the death sentence she will automatically get an appeal. So Baez may figure he doesn't need to do much now.