PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68

FigureSpins
07-14-2011, 07:04 PM
The whole case can be summed up with two words: Lynch mob. :P

You're not too far off the mark. There was an article about how Casey's going to be taken out secretly wearing a disguise and how she's going to change her name and go into seclusion. (Yeah, right. That'll last until the first pub crawl.)

The comments made towards her on the webpage were really scary. One person said that if she were found out, she'd be duct-taped and tossed into a trunk wearing only plastic bags. Others said everyone should keep an eye out for her and report her location if she moves to your neighborhood. Another insisted that you should watch your kids because she's a predator.

She's probably going to have a rough time if people are still that angry weeks later.

Silver Lining
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't always agree with Joy Behar, but she asked a very interesting question of one of Casey Anthony's attorneys on her show last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7WrjftImo

She did everything to avoid answering that question. The expression on her face at 42 seconds pretty much says it all.

taf2002
07-14-2011, 07:59 PM
While Casey's bhavior was certainly not within the "normal" range of reaction to the death of a child. It could fit in as an aberration.

I am suspecious of aberrations. Apparently it was an aberration for that man to kill that Brooklyn boy. Ever time you hear of an aberration, there is something really horrible that has happened.

Let's face it. There is no way to ever satisfactorily explain to the rest of us the facts of this case. No known (by us) human experience that would explain a mother finding her drowned child, duct taping her mouth, putting her in garbage bags, & throwing her into a swamp. This is not what would normally be called "normal" behavior. Doing all that & then not changing your demeanor or behavior in any way is unthinkable to us, going by the remarks in this thread.

The fact that she is clearly an accomplished liar as well as a person without the norm in emotions & behavior would keep me from letting her babysit a child. Let's say she was babysitting & you came home to her tales of a man with a gun who took your child. Would you ever believe this story? She is like the boy who cried wolf. I wouldn't believe her now no matter what she said.

ETA there is a Texas group who spent over $100,000 searching for Caylee & they had to turn down 15 other families during the time they searched for her. They are suing Casey, so if she makes a lot of money off of this, there are going to be a lot of hands in the pot. And IMO the state should not spend one more penny on her to give her protection.

Latte
07-14-2011, 08:16 PM
I heard on one of the news shows, forget which one, that Casey is leaving the country as soon as she gets out, possible the same night.
If I were her I would also change my hair color, change my name, and do my best to look different even if I had to have surgery. She is going to be in danger all her life.

I think if I was George or Cindy, I would do the same thing. No way can they ever have a normal life in Florida.

BigB08822
07-14-2011, 08:22 PM
She can leave the country but people will be tracking her down fast. I think she will have a hard time really getting away.

MacMadame
07-14-2011, 08:28 PM
While I have no issues with the verdict, I wouldn't let Casey Anthony babysit my kids. She's irresponsible! But there are plenty of people I wouldn't let babysit my kids who have never even known anyone who murdered someone let alone been charged with murder.

So I would have said to Ms. Behar that she seems to be implying that the only criteria for being a good babysitter is to not be a murderer but most parents have higher standards than that.

I think that lawyer doesn't think too well on her feet which is kind of strange for a lawyer...

taf2002
07-14-2011, 08:30 PM
While I have no issues with the verdict, I wouldn't let Casey Anthony babysit my kids. She's irresponsible! But there are plenty of people I wouldn't let babysit my kids who have never even known anyone who murdered someone let alone been charged with murder.

So I would have said to Ms. Behar that she seems to be implying that the only criteria for being a good babysitter is to not be a murderer but most parents have higher standards than that.

I think that lawyer doesn't think too well on her feet which is kind of strange for a lawyer...

I thought the same thing. I expected her to say she had other criteria than that. She came off hurting Casey more that she helped IMO.

GaPeach
07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
She can leave the country but people will be tracking her down fast. I think she will have a hard time really getting away.

There was talk she was going to Puerto Rico --and then the anti-Casey protest started there.

soxxy
07-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I thought the same thing. I expected her to say she had other criteria than that. She came off hurting Casey more that she helped IMO.

I think a good answer for the lawyer would have been Casey should only be concentrating on herself after being incarcerated for three years.

MacMadame
07-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I think a good answer for the lawyer would have been Casey should only be concentrating on herself after being incarcerated for three years.

Ooh, good one!

Ziggy
07-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh ok. Then we should all close down studies involving groups of people since, you know, they all have "different genetic make-up, different brain chemistry, etc, etc..." Lets face it--we barely belong to the same species. Lets just cancel medical and social science today and be done with it. What a waste of :bribe: that has been.

Ziggy, how do you come up with this psychobable nonsense? :lol:

Huh?

It's not psychobabble, it's science.

To rephrase what I said:

Due to individual differences, you can't expect people to behave the same way in response to the same situation. Because people differ in many many ways.

If you want to make a prediction of somebody's behaviour, you need a lot of hard data on various aspects of their personality. And even if you have it, that prediction will only be an estimate.

It's not like there is an algorithm that can count for us the exact outcome of what happens when person x gets into situation y.

Psychology would like to do that, but it's still very far off (which doesn't mean we should cancel the research, I am simply pointing out that we're very very far from getting there).

And it's not like any members of the Casey Anthony lynch mob have an understanding of her personality in the first place. What the media has presented surely is a very accurate and balanced picture. :shuffle:

My point was: When you talk about "reason" or "logic" when talking about somebody else's behaviour, you are applying YOUR OWN reason and logic. But the person you are talking about is not you. It's somebody else. With their own different reason and logic.

(I don't know what that has to do with science. Scientists know that, hence they only make predictions if they have a lot of data and those predictions tend to be very cautious as I pointed out above).

Far from being psychobabble, it's the first thing you learn when studying any kind of psychological help/counselling/therapy/etc. You're NOT supposed to give advice to your client/patient because what is right and works for you might not necessarily be right and work for them.

And the second point is:

Let's face it. There is no way to ever satisfactorily explain to the rest of us the facts of this case. No known (by us) human experience that would explain a mother finding her drowned child, duct taping her mouth, putting her in garbage bags, & throwing her into a swamp. This is not what would normally be called "normal" behavior. Doing all that & then not changing your demeanor or behavior in any way is unthinkable to us, going by the remarks in this thread.

One very simple explanation is panic.

It's easy to sit in front of your computer and speak what should or shouldn't be done in a certain situation.

But the truth is, none of us actually has a clue what we would do in an extreme situation (even though most of us think we do).

Research has shown that when faced with what is described as a "weak," ordinary situation, then your personality traits determine how you will behave.

But when you are faced with a "strong," extreme situation, your personality stops to matter and your reactions tend to be determined by your primal instincts.

A good example of that is people always being shocked that no passers-by react when a crime happens.

Because all the people outraged at the lack of help from the witnesses to the crime, would SURELY stop that big guy with a knife from stabbing somebody to death if only they were there. Obviously. :P

IceAlisa
07-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Huh?

It's not psychobabble, it's science.

To rephrase what I said:

Due to individual differences, you can't expect people to behave the same way in response to the same situation. Because people differ in many many ways. What science is that, exactly? Having studied psychology, especially social psychology, there are plenty of phenomena described that turn out to be predictable behavior, such as a bystander effect you mention for instance. This is the reason in an emergency you can scream "Help!" or you can give the bystanders specific directions.

It is hard to predict how an individual would react. However, you have a lot of problems contending this proves innocence: the theory of being "different" and reacting "differently" fails to explain many facts away in the case of Casey Anthony.

If you want to make a prediction of somebody's behaviour, you need a lot of hard data on various aspects of their personality. And even if you have it, that prediction will only be an estimate. And what do you think reasonable doubt is, an example of hard science?

And it's not like any members of the Casey Anthony lynch mob have an understanding of her personality in the first place. And you do? Based on what hard data?

My point was: When you talk about "reason" or "logic" when talking about somebody else's behaviour, you are applying YOUR OWN reason and logic. But the person you are talking about is not you. It's somebody else. With their own different reason and logic.

Far from being psychobabble, it's the first thing you learn when studying any kind of psychological help/counselling/therapy/etc. You're NOT supposed to give advice to your client/patient because what is right and works for you might not necessarily be right and work for them. So you took this principle of counseling and applied it to Casey Anthony as proof of her innocence? Yes, this was a strange way of mourning your child but that's hardly the beginning or the end of the case against her.

Ziggy
07-15-2011, 01:14 AM
What science is that, exactly? Having studied psychology, especially social psychology, there are plenty of phenomena described that turn out to be predictable behavior, such as a bystander effect you mention for instance. This is the reason in an emergency you can scream "Help!" or you can give the bystanders specific directions.

Psychology.

Certain situations have been studied a lot and the reactions are predictable but the reaction to your child's death isn't one.

Screaming "Help!" doesn't work because the more people there are gathered, the more responsibility ends up "spread between them" (you don't act, because you expect somebody else already did or will).

The effective strategies are:
- screaming "Fire!" (gets people's attention)
- pointing out at somebody and asking them specifically

It is hard to predict how an individual would react. However, you have a lot of problems contending this proves innocence: the theory of being "different" and reacting "differently" fails to explain many facts away in the case of Casey Anthony. And what do you think reasonable doubt is, an example of hard science?

Why are you saying this to me?

I didn't say anything about proving innocence or the facts of the case or reasonable doubt.

And you do? Based on what hard data?

I don't. That's why I am not making a judgement.

So you took this principle of counseling and applied it to Casey Anthony as proof of her innocence? Yes, this was a strange way of mourning your child but that's hardly the beginning or the end of the case against her.

I didn't.

All I said is that it's wrong to expect everybody to behave the same way in response to the "same" situation.

cruisin
07-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Let's face it. There is no way to ever satisfactorily explain to the rest of us the facts of this case. No known (by us) human experience that would explain a mother finding her drowned child, duct taping her mouth, putting her in garbage bags, & throwing her into a swamp.

There is no proof that she duct tape the child's mouth. The tape could have been on the plastic bags, or the tape could have come from an unrelated source. The brand of tape was the same as what was in the Anthony's home, but how many brands of duct tape are there? That could be pure coincidence. It's all hypothetical. All anyone knows for sure is that there was tape stuck to the child's head. It was all supposition, how the tape got there.

IceAlisa
07-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Certain situations have been studied a lot and the reactions are predictable but the reaction to your child's death isn't one.

Someone hasn't been paying attention in class. (http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/) :P