PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

judiz
07-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Could they go after her for Child Endangerment or Child Neglect? How about Abuse Of A Corpse?

Biaz will just claim it was the meter reader who abused the corpse. I wonder if he'll file a suit against the defense team for slinging his name through the mud?

Latte
07-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Biaz will just claim it was the meter reader who abused the corpse. I wonder if he'll file a suit against the defense team for slinging his name through the mud?
I wish he would. And George and Lee also.

Christina
07-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Anytime there is a drowning or near drowning of a child, there will be a police investigation. Always. If a child dies in a pool, it's very rare for someone not to be charged in connection to that. Since pools are supposed to be secured, a child's death is evidence of both neglect and reckless child endangerment or manslaughter. The issue becomes not if someone will be charged, but who and with what. Any police officer would know this.

While it is true there is always a police investigation, there are not always charges filed. Accidents happen all the time. Last week, a child crawled through a dog door and drowned in the pool, for example. In my county we've had six children die in the past three months by accidental drowning. To my knowledge, none of the caregivers have been charged criminally.

I've investigated (with law enforcement) five or six child deaths in the past ten years that were the result of drownings. None resulted in criminal charges. Drownings are the leading cause of accidental death in children under five in Florida. While it might be more "normal" in other states, criminal charges are not automatic here.

heckles
07-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I think NG needs to get off her high horse.

I'm a lot less troubled by Nancy Grace's rage than by the apathetic masses who just shrug their shoulders and mumble, "Well, I guess the jury had no choice..."

At best, Casey went out partying after her toddler drowned, didn't tell the police about the drowning, lied to detectives including the Universal Studios con, and continued her nonsense at taxpayer expense for three years. She might not win the gold in the Olympics of the Suckiest Human, but she'd have a shot at the podium.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Let's face it, the apathetic masses would have been a lot bigger if this wasn't a highly publicized and dare I say, overexposed case.

And not everyone who thinks the jury had no choice given the evidence and the way the prosecutors presented the case are apathetic. I think some are just not so quick to call out for the members of the jury's blood in a mob mentality fashion the way people like Perez Hilton and a vocal portion of the general public seem to have been in the hours and days after the verdict.

numbers123
07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I've investigated (with law enforcement) five or six child deaths in the past ten years that were the result of drownings. None resulted in criminal charges. Drownings are the leading cause of accidental death in children under five in Florida. While it might be more "normal" in other states, criminal charges are not automatic here.

In my area, I recall only one case over the last 10-15 years that resulted in some criminal charges. I think it was child neglect because the grandmother was not where she claimed to be.

BigB08822
07-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm a lot less troubled by Nancy Grace's rage than by the apathetic masses who just shrug their shoulders and mumble, "Well, I guess the jury had no choice..."

At best, Casey went out partying after her toddler drowned, didn't tell the police about the drowning, lied to detectives including the Universal Studios con, and continued her nonsense at taxpayer expense for three years. She might not win the gold in the Olympics of the Suckiest Human, but she'd have a shot at the podium.

And your point? She was found guilty of lying to the police. She will undoubtedly lose a future civil case to recoup the money for the search and anything else involved in trying to find Caylee. There is no law that says one shall not go out and party after your child dies and there is currently no law on how long you can wait before saying your child is missing, that is why so many petitions are going around to start one. It isn't apathetic to say the jury had no choice, it is realistic. I am much MUCH more bothered by someone like Nancy Grace who completely crucifies people before there is so much as a trial even underway. She is nothing but a ratings whore and don't ever think she does ANYTHING without thinking about that first.

cruisin
07-09-2011, 08:36 PM
^^ BigB08822, I agree. It is hardly apathetic to understand that the jury couldn't do much with what they were presented. Apathy means that people don't care. If people didn't care, they would not have been following this with so much interest. If people didn't care, they would not have felt disappointment that the jury did not convict her of more than lying. Maybe there will now be a law, on the books, that says that a parent has to report a child missing within a certain amount of time or it is an actionable crime. But right now, that law doesn't exist. In fact, someone has to be missing for 24 hours minimum or the police won't do anything, that's a long time for something awful to happen.

The jury didn't believe the prosecutors assertions. They did not believe that the circumstantial evidence, in this case, was enough. There was a lot of lying going around, by Casey, her mother, her father, and who knows who else. There was an awful lot of embellishment on the part of the prosecution. I think for many, the anger is not directed at the jury, but at the prosecution for completely missing their mark.

rudi
07-09-2011, 08:57 PM
This is the first time I have come back to post here since the verdict.
I was stunned and sad because I really expected some kind of guilty verdict with respect to at least one of the counts regarding the death of Caylee.

Partially because I live in Orlando and partially due to the media coverage, I became very caught up (too caught up) in this case. In December of 2008, my daughter and I went to the site where Caylee's remains were found, and we left a toy there. (I wouldn't think of driving by there now due to all the craziness.)

One difficult thing has been explaining to my daughter what happened. Like I said, she has been aware of the case since 2008 and was 7 years old at the time. I assured her that Casey would probably be going to jail for a long, long time. Now she is having a hard time understanding why she is being released and was actually a little scared that she will see Casey around here (we shop at the same Target!) and that Casey will hurt more children. I explained to her that she didn't have anything to worry about. It was a good teaching moment about the jury system, etc. However, it's been difficult for me, as an adult, to wrap my head around what happened with this verdict, much less explain it to a child.

After the sentencing on Thursday, I have decided to move on and hope that justice will be served someday...maybe not now or even on this earth, but someday. As Jeff Ashton said, my other hope is that Caylee didn't suffer. :(

heckles
07-09-2011, 09:35 PM
There is no law that says one shall not go out and party after your child dies and there is currently no law on how long you can wait before saying your child is missing, that is why so many petitions are going around to start one.

I did not say that those actions should be illegal. I said those actions qualify Casey as a sucky human being. Casey has laid out a buffet of suck; even if the entree of murder isn't available, there's still plenty of rotten appetizers to go around.

nursebetty
07-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I do think more people care than we hear about openly. I hadn't heard many people at work talking about this case, but when the verdict was read it seemed like everyone had something to say. Most couldn't believe she wasn't found guilty on all charges, but some didn't agree with the murder charge. Some felt like the jury got it right.

Tinami Amori
07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I did not say that those actions should be illegal. I said those actions qualify Casey as a sucky human being. Casey has laid out a buffet of suck; even if the entree of murder isn't available, there's still plenty of rotten appetizers to go around.

My feelings are right with you and so many others who feel this way. I detest people like Casey Anthony for many reasons which became apparent during investigation and trial. I believe she should have been given a conviction at least for child neglect or endangerment, if such verdict was offered in the trial.

But can you say with a near 100% certainty that a person who’s child died parties because she is callous and not because a small very small possibility that she is trying to escape the reality? Or that is how she deals with tragedy? People are not obligated to show the expected reactions to tragic occurrences…..

Can you say with near 100% certainty that her tattoo “Bella Vita” means “Happy Life” (for Casey), and not “Beautiful Existence” (another meaning for “Bella Vita”) in commemoration of her daughter?

Can you say with near 100% certainty that the tape on Caylee’s mouth is a result of murder, and not a misguided attempt by Casey to make a freak accident look like a kidnapping because she was scared of consequences she might have received for child neglect which lead to death of Caylee? Could have she allegedly keep the body for a period of time in her trunk for the same reason?

Unfortunately, I would very much like to be that certain, but I can’t be… So I am OK with the verdict of the jury. They did not have another option in this given case.:(

bek
07-09-2011, 10:58 PM
My feelings are right with you and so many others who feel this way. I detest people like Casey Anthony for many reasons which became apparent during investigation and trial. I believe she should have been given a conviction at least for child neglect or endangerment, if such verdict was offered in the trial.

But can you say with a near 100% certainty that a person who’s child died parties because she is callous and not because a small very small possibility that she is trying to escape the reality? Or that is how she deals with tragedy? People are not obligated to show the expected reactions to tragic occurrences…..

Can you say with near 100% certainty that her tattoo “Bella Vita” means “Happy Life” (for Casey), and not “Beautiful Existence” (another meaning for “Bella Vita”) in commemoration of her daughter?

Can you say with near 100% certainty that the tape on Caylee’s mouth is a result of murder, and not a misguided attempt by Casey to make a freak accident look like a kidnapping because she was scared of consequences she might have received for child neglect which lead to death of Caylee? Could have she allegedly keep the body for a period of time in her trunk for the same reason?

Unfortunately, I would very much like to be that certain, but I can’t be… So I am OK with the verdict of the jury. They did not have another option in this given case.:(

Thank you. It is totally possible Casey partied to numb the pain. The thing is 99.9% of America doesn't really know this girl, so we can't judge what her actions and even her words really mean. I mean we can't but we can't.

A couple of years my dead cousin made the news a little bit. His social media account was brought up where he talked about liking loose women. You can imagine how he was portrayed. The thing is my cousin was troubled, but the facebook account was absolutely a joke. My cousin didn't even really date, he had been heartbroken when his girlfriend dumped and hadn't dated much since. But the few news media there was, didn't know all of this.

heckles
07-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Casey wasn't crying into her beer, she was partying it up. Big difference. You're right there can be a wide variety of acceptable ways that people express grief, but Casey stepped far outside that range.

How much time and taxpayer money were wasted on her little games? For example, how much money were the detectives paid when they tried to verify her employment at Universal Studios, including on the day Casey took them there and illegally entered the office building with them? That is just the tip of the iceberg; no ethical person, even one who's experienced trauma, toys for three years with people who are trying to help a child.

BigB08822
07-09-2011, 11:35 PM
But I fail to understand how Casey laying "out a buffet of suck" has anything to do with so called apathetic people who understand why she was acquitted? If she hadn't done those things do you think people would care more or do you think she deserves a guilty verdict regardless of the evidence because she partied it up like a rock star, which is how I took your post.