PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

julieann
07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Of course it is. When I worked in media, I reported on a trial where a man was sent to jail for 2 years under the criminal code offence of offering indignity to a body.

You're right I was under minding what happened to her after her death verses the way in which she died; when in reality anyone can be charged with several crimes in relation to a deceased body. The prosecution should have added that charge, but for some reason didn't.

cruisin
07-06-2011, 07:55 PM
You're right I was under minding what happened to her after her death verses the way in which she died; when in reality anyone can be charged with several crimes in relation to a deceased body. The prosecution should have added that charge, but for some reason didn't.

That might be because of when it came out. I didn't follow this as closely as many of you here. Did it come out that Caylee drowned and the father and Casey hid her during the trial? If so, it may have been too late to add on.

However, why couldn't that be a different case? They would no longer be charging Cacey for the death of Caylee, but the mistreatment of the body.

Cyn
07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
:rolleyes: This has already been refuted. Everyone here who has served on a jury has talked about the professional make-up of the jury.

But Cyn is right--you want off a jury, tell them you have a four-year degree or better and don't get your knowledge of the legal system from Law & Order and CSI. I have a background in actual forensic anthropology (a pro seminar with the best in the field on the East Coast, meant for MEs, so no saying it's just an undergrad course), a father who's a lawyer, and a graduate degree. Lawyers do not WANT me on a jury. They do not want anyone with a demonstrated ability to perform complex reasoning tasks and in a case like this they REALLY don't want anyone who actually knows anything about police forensics.

I think I need to clarify - it's not *all* professionals or those with college degrees that get dismissed, but rather any of those that may pertain to the particular case at hand. Professionals with degrees in law, political science, medicine, biological or chemical sciences, and the like, are usually disliked by defense counsel.

My father was a criminal lawyer (yet another thing that has counted as a "strike" against me in a potential jury pool) before he left that profession to go into business for himself. He left because he was disgusted with a lot of what he considered "unethical shenanigans" (in his eyes) as well as having to defend clients who he felt were guilty - it went against his personal ethics to engage defending someone he whose innocence he couldn't believe.

As for some of my own experiences in jury duty, in one case when I went through voir dire, it was for a civil case in which an elderly man had run a stop sign and hit a car (not too hard) full of 18-20 year-olds. The family of one of the kids was bringing a huge civil suit because their daughter suffered brain damage from hitting her head from the impact, but at the time of the accident, she wasn't wearing her seat belt. I was the girl's age, and three weeks before serving, my BF had been killed in an accident in which he would have survived had he had his seat belt on.

During voir dire, they asked each of us if we wore seat belts and had any opinion about them - I'll leave it to your imagination as to what my response was (and yes, I kept my potty-mouth in check :P), but as soon as I let them know about what happened to David, both counsels immediately offered their condolences on my loss and I was dismissed.

On another one, I cannot remember what the exact criminal case was (a murder, but I do not know the specifics), but during voir dire, we were asked about our opinions regarding capital punishment, did we pay attention to criminal trials or anything related to political and/or criminal issues, etc.. When I answered, as soon as I mentioned one name, "Neal Boortz" to be exact, I was gone from that jury pool in a nanosecond :rofl: .

In yet another case, it was a class action suit regarding the outrageous property tax hikes that year in Fulton County (the northern half of which is very upper middle-class to very wealthy). That's where my parents lived, and they were part of this suit, so needless to say, I wasn't someone they wanted on that jury.

OMG. A white woman is on trial for killing her white child who was obviously fathered by a white man and all of a sudden this case has racial overtones? If the prosecution snickered at Baez it was because he was an ass, not because he was Hispanic. Get your head out of whereever it is. Not everything is about race.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to taf2002 again."

I just want to say one thing. The public will not determine whether or not Casey Anthony gets rich. I have seen this said in here and on other sites such as FB. Casey Anthony will get a HEFTY signing bonus and be paid up front for any books, interviews, movies, etc. It really won't matter one bit if the public tunes in or buys anything with her name attached. She may not get as much money on the back end of the deal but she will already have gotten the big check up front. I still wont support her but don't fool yourself into thinking she wont get a dime if we all ignore her, she will. Besides, the majority of people will show interest and we all know it.

The little that I have allowed myself to watch today of the aftermath of yesterday's verdict, there is a huge groundswell starting of people planning to petition and contact publishing companies, media outlets, etc., and threaten boycott of not only their businesses, but in the case of the media, their advertisers if they opt to pay ICA for any book, television, or movie deals. I'll be signing and doing my share of letter-writing, and I hope others will as well.

skatemommy
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Just saw a blurb for ET, "Who Will Play Casey Anthony?" in the made for TV movie. FSU needs a vomit emoticon....

Cyn
07-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Just saw a blurb for ET, "Who Will Play Casey Anthony?" in the made for TV movie. FSU needs a vomit emoticon....

Take your pick…. (http://planetsmilies.net/smilies/vomit/)

skatingfan5
07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Just saw a blurb for ET, "Who Will Play Casey Anthony?" in the made for TV movie. FSU needs a vomit emoticon....I'm OK with just using this one: :lynch: Pretty depressing thought that there's a good probability of some sort of TV movie actually being made.

AxelAnnie
07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Frau Muller

I know that this is beside the point but...As a person "of color" (Latina), I could not help but silently cheer Jose Baez when he pointed out "That Laughing Man" during the closing arguments. Anyone "of color" anywhere in the world who has ever been "laughed at" by someone not of color, in a public "power situation" (at a board meeting, in a classroom, etc.) knows what I mean.

I sure hope you are kidding.........because if you are not, that is one of the most horrific racist statements I have heard in years. To judge the actions of anyone in that trial by his/her race.....:o......man, and I thought we were making progress!

AxelAnnie
07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I just want to say one thing. The public will not determine whether or not Casey Anthony gets rich. I have seen this said in here and on other sites such as FB. Casey Anthony will get a HEFTY signing bonus and be paid up front for any books, interviews, movies, etc. It really won't matter one bit if the public tunes in or buys anything with her name attached. She may not get as much money on the back end of the deal but she will already have gotten the big check up front. I still wont support her but don't fool yourself into thinking she wont get a dime if we all ignore her, she will. Besides, the majority of people will show interest and we all know it.

Well, be that as they may....I hope everyone in the world sues the $hit out of her. For months she led the world on a wild goose chase looking for a child that she knew was not missing............as said in court. There has to be a particular place in hell for her.

snoopy
07-06-2011, 09:27 PM
AxelAnnie – Ha! Good point. Didn’t the local officials fine the Colorado guy who sent his kid off in a big balloon? For all the expenses incurred trying to get him down?

skatingfan5
07-06-2011, 09:32 PM
AxelAnnie Ė Ha! Good point. Didnít the local officials fine the Colorado guy who sent his kid off in a big balloon? For all the expenses incurred trying to get him down?I think you mean the guy who DIDN'T send his kid up in a big balloon. Getting the kid down from the attic didn't take much expense ... but the futile tracking of the balloon probably cost a few bucks.

AxelAnnie
07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Yep - and the Tim Miller from Equusearch was talking about it also this morning............scads of his resources were used to search for Caylee. I think, like OJ, if she has any assets, there may be enough people out there who are angry enough to keep her separated from any earnings for a very, very, long time.

And, the people of Orlando...............what a fortune they spent. And they are still spending it to protect someone who covered up an accident. Just keeping the people out of the Anthony neighborhood has got to be costing a fortune.

IceAlisa
07-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Only web sites that are actually visited show up in the browser's history.

That's my question: what websites have actually been visited? And how was the involvement of chloroform in the death of Caylee determined?

KHenry14
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Obviously CA will get some money from a book deal if she has the nerve to write one. But I can't see anything happening beyond that. No TV movies, no speaking tour etc. I mean, there's no happy ending here, there's no alternative perpitrator, clearly Casey had SOMETHING to do with the child's death. Even if Caylee drowned accidently, why the coverup? Why the deception? And ultimately, why the seemingly lack of interest in her daughter's well being for 31 days? And whatever answers Casey gives to these questions, they will show her to be a shallow, selfish person. Which says to me, you can't make a TV Movie out of a completely unsympathetic charactor like Casey.

IceAlisa
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Well, isn't there a movie about Amanda Knox?

skatingfan5
07-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Well, isn't there a movie about Amanda Knox?Yes, there was -- on the Lifetime Channel, of course. The producers of that one perhaps may be regretting doing it so soon ... if she gets a new trial or the conviction is overturned.

There have been lots of movies about unsympathetic characters ... including mothers who killed their young children ... Small Sacrifices with Farrah Fawcett is just one.