PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Frau Muller
07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Here's an interesting article on Jose Baez' background. Born in my own Puerrrrto RRRRRRiccco! "It's not where you start - it's where you finish."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/05/2301017_p2/jose-baez-casey-anthonys-lawyer.html

Kruss
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
The defense can only randomly boot something like five people. Here are some of the people who didn't get selected in my jury pool. "All cops lie." "I would have to be sure beyond all doubt." "I work for a lawyer." "I applied to be a police officer and got turned down." And my personal favorite. "I was framed by the cops once. They gave me a DUI after I crashed my car. I mean, I was drunk, but not legally drunk."

I was not selected due to my cousin being a cop and by me working in a law firm - and being the only one questioned who was honest when I replied that they all did, in fact, discuss their cases with me. I didn't try to avoid it, but pretty much knew they'd not pick me. Judging by the defense's questions of potential jurors, they were going to claim the police arrested the wrong guy.

somechick
07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
What I cannot possibly fathom is, if this was in any way an accident that didn't result from some sort of abuse or neglect on Casey's part and that her father/parents help cover it up....would Casey seriously have sat in jail for 3 years and risk going to trial and potentially getting the death penalty and not say anything? If this was the scenario her defense presented (or ANY accident that was not her fault) she would have thrown her father under the bus long ago.

And the celebration her defense team held was rather appalling. Show just a little bit of class and respect for that little girl. Casey was not acquitted because of her defense--she was acquitted in spite of them.

Yehudi
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I know one person who was a former federal prosecutor, but is currently a Georgetown Law Professor, Communications advisor to some high profile companies who probably get sued every day, and whose wife used to be an ADA in Philly. He somehow ended up making the jury in a murder trial.

Marge_Simpson
07-06-2011, 05:30 PM
It's being reported that Casey was served with a civil suit from Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzales last night.

MacMadame
07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
If she did in fact die in the swimming pool because she accidentally fell in, anything done to her dead body is not a crime as bad as it sounds.
Actually, it's a crime to mutilate a corpse.

But no one could say for sure what really happened. Except Casey and she had the right not to take the stand.
You assume Casey had something to do with it. Even that wasn't actually proven.

I don't think she's pretty at all. :shuffle:
Or particularly thin. She's weird looking and puffy, in fact. Probably from being in prison (prison food, lack of exercise, lack of sunlight).

And for those who say the duct tape came from the Anthony house and not Casey's, Casey always had access to George and Cindy's house and could come and go as she pleased.
But so did other people including George, Lee and Cindy. That's the rub. The prosecution didn't tie the duct tape to Casey and that opens up the possibility of reasonable doubt.

So, I heard this from a local news commentator today and thought it was spot on. He said "20 yrs ago before all the DNA testing, before smell tests, and every other test science has come up with that was done in this case, if a mother was the last one to be known to have seen her child alive, she would have been found guilty. That would have been enough."
But you say that like it's a good thing... I think a lot more innocent people went to jail before DNA and other scientific advances.

As I said earlier, I think the jury could come to this conclusion reasonably only if they assume Casey has some derangement which caused her to uncontrollably and outrageously lie about the most important thing ever in her life.
Having once dated someone who was a pathological liar, I can tell you that they will lie about EVERYTHING. Heck, they will lie about stuff where the lie gets them in trouble but the truth wouldn't. They get a thrill from from lying and pulling something over on you that outweighs any logic about what they are lying about.

Even the prosecution called Casey a pathological liar.

Habs
07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
anything done to her dead body is not a crime as bad as it sounds.

Of course it is. When I worked in media, I reported on a trial where a man was sent to jail for 2 years under the criminal code offence of offering indignity to a body.

BigB08822
07-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Why would he not want to serve on a jury?

Maybe his job offers minimal time off for jury duty and it could potentially be a long case. Not likely but possible. The pay per day while serving is so low that they really shouldn't even bother.

cruisin
07-06-2011, 06:26 PM
But so did other people including George, Lee and Cindy. That's the rub. The prosecution didn't tie the duct tape to Casey and that opens up the possibility of reasonable doubt.

And, unless I missed something, all they proved was it was the same brand. There was no proof that the tape found with the body came from that roll.

PrincessLeppard
07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Maybe his job offers minimal time off for jury duty and it could potentially be a long case. Not likely but possible. The pay per day while serving is so low that they really shouldn't even bother.

I don't believe they are allowed to dock you for serving on a jury. I had to give my $35 a day back to my employer.

Most cases take a day, two at the most. My case was four days.

cruisin
07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Why would he not want to serve on a jury?

I think there can be many reasons why someone would or could not serve on a jury. The obvious, being primary caretaker for a child or elderly person. But, I don't think I could do it. Not because I want to shirk responsibility, but I am so OCD I don't think I could get through it emotionally. I probably would never be chosen.

reckless
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
The death penalty wasn't the only option.

Again, 1st degree murder wasn't the only option given to the jury. They chose not to convict on anything but giving false information. Are you ok with that in the above scenario? Because I'm not, not in your hypothetical or Casey's verdict.
I didn't follow the case very closely, but I suspect two things may have affected the outcome.

First, the prosecution claimed up-front that it could prove what happened and that it was premeditated murder. Trial Advocacy 101 is don't promise what you can't prove. By telling the jury that X occurred, the prosecution could not really backtrack and say, well, if it's not X, then it's almost certainly Y, so find her guilty on a lesser charge. Here, by arguing that Casey committed premeditated murder, the prosecutor cast doubt on any theory that it was an accident that was covered up.

Second, despite as awful as I've heard Baez was, I think one of his supposed "mistakes" helped greatly. People criticized Baez for giving his opening before the prosecution's case. But by offering his opening early and telling the story of what might have happened, he gave the jury something to think about as it heard the evidence. So the jury was probably already primed to expect some repudiation of the theories Baez tossed out which, when not forthcoming, left them questioning the strength of the prosecution's case.

Bogie
07-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I think it's totally inappropriate as well. It's like she has it trademarked and gets royalties every time she says it; it's straight-up ridiculous. Tot mom? (Ironically, it always sounds to me like she's saying "Top Mom.") It's condescending and disrespectful, which is exactly Nancy Grace's intention.

I assumed she was "twitterizing" her speech - I could visualize a hashmark every time she said it, and sure enough, there it was on Twitter. Is this something that other commentators are doing these days?

Anita18
07-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Having once dated someone who was a pathological liar, I can tell you that they will lie about EVERYTHING. Heck, they will lie about stuff where the lie gets them in trouble but the truth wouldn't. They get a thrill from from lying and pulling something over on you that outweighs any logic about what they are lying about.

Even the prosecution called Casey a pathological liar.
I think the most outrageous lies Casey told were to her own parents and brother, and if the family was really that dysfunctional, I can see how she'd get a kick out of pulling one over on them.

My friend became an unabashed pathological liar when she realized she was smart enough to trick people and get away with it. This was when she was 5, it's a real power trip for a little kid. Her favorite thing to do was to talk circles around her mom. She's in her mid-20s now and still has a precarious relationship with her mother. She's no longer a pathological liar though, she gets her power trips by :kickass: in school instead of lying to people. Or at least I haven't caught her in one in the years I've known her, and I've got at least a good as memory as she has. ;)

Some people probably don't grow out of it...

nubka
07-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Your description fits my first husband to a T! ITA. :(