PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

danceronice
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
:rolleyes: This has already been refuted. Everyone here who has served on a jury has talked about the professional make-up of the jury.

Oh, and when I was going through voir dire? The ones trying to weasel their way out of jury duty? People I wouldn't have wanted on the jury anyway.

Uh, the list I saw was not highly educated people.

numbers123
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
This just makes me sick! A child is dead. No one will be punished for it.
Unfortunately it happens all the time.

Casey's future book: Bella Vita: How I got away with murder and got rich doing it.
only if the public is stupid enough to buy it.

FYI, I have been on a jury before, twice. Both times I voted for guilty. No, they weren't murder trials.
me too - you deliberate over what has been presented not what your personal opinion of the defendent.

I keep going back to what was said at the trial, if your child drowns in the pool, you don't cover it up, you try CPR, you call 911, you do everything possible to SAVE YOUR CHILD!! What possible reason would Casey or George have for covering up an accidental drowning??
I don't believe that she is innocent.

But what about another scenario regarding drowning. This mother was out partying. The baby was left alone for a great length of time and the baby drowned in a bathtub or other water and Casey did not find her for 18-24-36 or more hours. Obviously calling 911 would not be an option. You carry the baby's body in your car for weeks trying to decide what to do to make it seems like someone else did it. After all the media attention - how do you make it seem like you were not involved? Etc.

I am not saying it happened this way, just offering another scenario.

PrincessLeppard
07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Uh, the list I saw was not highly educated people.

Highly educated doesn't equal smart. Not highly educated doesn't equal stupid.

That said, I already made the statement that any trial with a sequestered jury was going to seriously minimize the juror pool.

taf2002
07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I know that this is beside the point but...As a person "of color" (Latina), I could not help but silently cheer Jose Baez when he pointed out "That Laughing Man" during the closing arguments. Anyone "of color" anywhere in the world who has ever been "laughed at" by someone not of color, in a public "power situation" (at a board meeting, in a classroom, etc.) knows what I mean. Also, notice the racial make-up of the defense side of attorneys versus the prosecutions' row of lawyers. Hmmm...and I wonder the racial/ethnic composition of the jury? Hmmmm? Laughing Man did a disservice to the Prosecution when he snickered. The TV cameras did not capture all of the times during the past 6 weeks when the lead prosecuting attorney and/or his Team may have snickered or made other arrogant gestures while Baez spoke. (We don't know; we couldn't see.) Just sayin'. And when that row of beautiful defense attorneys of all ethnic colors stood in a line, in their press conference after the verdict, a little something in me cheered. And when Baez spoke in Spanish to his family...well, I applauded. Muy bien hecho, Senor. Again, this is totally beside the point but...Just Sayin'.

p.s. And of course some power sectors would call the jury "dumb." So typical. Muy bien hecho, Senores y Senoras. Muy bien hecho.

OMG. A white woman is on trial for killing her white child who was obviously fathered by a white man and all of a sudden this case has racial overtones? If the prosecution snickered at Baez it was because he was an ass, not because he was Hispanic. Get your head out of whereever it is. Not everything is about race.

Prancer
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
But Cyn is right--you want off a jury, tell them you have a four-year degree or better

That sure hasn't gotten me out of jury duty. Nothing I have ever tried has gotten me out of jury duty.

There was actually a study done on this a few years ago, done by the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut, that was designed to examine whether there is a bias in the jury selection process that results in relatively undereducated juries, and, if so, how much and why.

The conclusion: The results are surprising: there is no evidence that juries are undereducated relative to the venires n13 from which they are selected. Indeed, juries seem to be better educated than the Connecticut population demographics reported by U.S. census data. Thus, our study suggests that the system is not broken in the way we typically imagine.

This was reported in the Connecticut Law Review, February 2006. You need to be able to access a legal database to read about it, I believe, but I have the full citation if anyone is interested.

IceAlisa
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, well. In my totally anecdotal experience, the jury selected in the criminal case comprised of people who barely graduated high school. As soon as someone answered that they knew what DNA evidence was, they were booted off by the defense.

And Prancer, here's how you get off a jury in a criminal trial: say that you don't believe in the presumption of innocence and pointing to the defendant, scream "S/he is a rapist (murderer or whatever the case may be)!" with lots of :drama:. It will work like a charm. Another person said she'd witnessed a similar crime perpetrated on her friend in college and could not possibly be objective. Buh-bye.

I've seen a lot of creative solutions to evading jury duty when I was called. Luckily for me they selected the jury before they got to me.

PrincessLeppard
07-06-2011, 04:23 PM
The defense can only randomly boot something like five people. Here are some of the people who didn't get selected in my jury pool. "All cops lie." "I would have to be sure beyond all doubt." "I work for a lawyer." "I applied to be a police officer and got turned down." And my personal favorite. "I was framed by the cops once. They gave me a DUI after I crashed my car. I mean, I was drunk, but not legally drunk."

OlieRow
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
^^ I agree, the drowning in a pool story is ridiculous. But, I do think that it still could have been unintentional. I think, though, that the real story might have been one where Casey could have been held more culpable. Like maybe she didn't have anyone to watch Caylee, she put the child in the trunk and left her there while she partied and the child died from the heat or lack of oxygen. The latter would show clear manslaughter or negligence, where the accidental drowning would imply less responsibility.

Not that it matters, but this is exactly what I think happened. It was probably some sort accident, but not one that makes her completely uninvolved.

another sk8rmom
07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
My brother's tactic is to be overly excited and animated about wanting to be selected as a juror. He's never been picked.

Prancer
07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
And Prancer, here's how you get off a jury in a criminal trial: say that you don't believe in the presumption of innocence and pointing to the defendant, scream "S/he is a rapist (murderer or whatever the case may be)!" with lots of :drama:.

I'm not willing to go that far.

"I work for a lawyer."

I not only worked for a lawyer, but I had interviewed to work for a partner of the lawyer who was suing his client in one particular case. They still put me on the freaking jury (and we found in favor of the client :P).

BigB08822
07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I just want to say one thing. The public will not determine whether or not Casey Anthony gets rich. I have seen this said in here and on other sites such as FB. Casey Anthony will get a HEFTY signing bonus and be paid up front for any books, interviews, movies, etc. It really won't matter one bit if the public tunes in or buys anything with her name attached. She may not get as much money on the back end of the deal but she will already have gotten the big check up front. I still wont support her but don't fool yourself into thinking she wont get a dime if we all ignore her, she will. Besides, the majority of people will show interest and we all know it.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I think many people know how to avoid serving on a jury, but it's interesting that people are now bad-mouthing juries in general and it seems some in here are advocating the idea that you can measure intelligence by whether or not you made a conscience decision to lie or exaggerate to avoid serving on a jury. Of course, then turn around and complain that juries are made up of uneducated folk (despite the study that Prancer spoke about and a few examples in this thread of people who had served on juries and were educated...not that it implies people who aren't as educated can't get to the same outcome).

skatingfan5
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
The defense can only randomly boot something like five people. Here are some of the people who didn't get selected in my jury pool. "All cops lie." "I would have to be sure beyond all doubt." "I work for a lawyer." "I applied to be a police officer and got turned down." And my personal favorite. "I was framed by the cops once. They gave me a DUI after I crashed my car. I mean, I was drunk, but not legally drunk."I didn't want to avoid serving on a jury, but was rejected twice: once by the assistant state's attorney (I think he was irritated that I corrected him when he professed knowledge about where I worked) and once by the defense (for that one I guessed that they thought I was too old to be sympathetic or unbiased towards someone charged with assault from a barroom brawl -- little did they know :lol:).

I was surprised that they didn't reject someone who had about a half dozen police officers among immediate family and someone else who had a spouse who was serving time for a felony conviction. The most surprising "keeper" for me was someone who said that he had been on a jury within the previous 2 or 3 years -- but couldn't remember what the case was about! :eek: Not sure I would want a person with that faulty a memory (or attention span) on my jury.

numbers123
07-06-2011, 04:43 PM
I served on three juries and was dismissed in another. I have a master's degree in nursing which you think would eliminate me from a wrongful death/compensation for loss of companionship/pain and suffering prior to death. I have a sibling who is a lawyer, again something that might have dismissed from trials.

The one case that the defense used it's option to dismiss me as a possible juror was one where there was a copyright/trademark issue because my husband had developed and marketed successfully a computer application that at the time of that particular trial where he was pursuing some trademark issues/violations in another country.

Contrary to what most of you have been posting, those potential jurors who were dismissed by the judge were those who had high school or lower educational level. Reasons were similar to what Princess said - I don't trust the police, that place (in the case of a robbery) charged way too much for their product, that driver was drunk and I won't be able to be fair, etc.

PrincessLeppard
07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
My brother's tactic is to be overly excited and animated about wanting to be selected as a juror. He's never been picked.

Why would he not want to serve on a jury?