PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

IceAlisa
07-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Was there a specific instance of child abuse that caused them to charge her with aggravated child abuse?

Could they have charged her with child neglect resulting in death? Is that a crime in FL?

Isn't it the charge of manslaughter?

FiveRinger
07-06-2011, 02:28 AM
I understand your angst, frustration, and disgust with the verdict. This trial has been a polarizing and emotional one. However, you have to understand that you are viewing this case through the eyes of a biased media. You did not sit in the courtroom, you did not hear all of the testimony. You tell us what you would have done if you were on the jury, but you weren't. The case against Ms. Anthony is very compelling, and the information that you cited, such as the fact that she did not report the absence before the 31 day period, is confounding and stupefying. Yet, amongst all of this uncertainty, I haven't heard or seen any hard, tangible evidence that leads me to think "Yes, it's her, it's Casey. She murdered her daughter." Apparently, you've seen something that I haven't.

Thank you for this. I think that the prosecution just overwhelmed the jury with all of the info, much of it janky.

BigB08822
07-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Well this is a time when I wish Dexter were real.

ks777
07-06-2011, 02:36 AM
So what's next for Casey Anthony? Does she even have a place to go live?

WindSpirit
07-06-2011, 02:39 AM
You've definitely been the most vocal one on this thread, Cyn. So please, tell me. What makes you so certain? I'm not Cyn, but I don't think I or she or anyone else have to be *certain*. Not even the jurors (not many people would be ever sentenced if that was a requirement) Beyond reasonable doubt, that's the key phrase. And we, as spectators, don't even have to go with that.

You weren't in the courtroom every day listening to every word of testimony, from Casey, Cindy, George, and many more. All that was easily available to anyone who was looking for the information. The only thing we need to remember is the we actually had more information than the jury. Some of it they were not allowed to hear.

Do I think she's a f*cking bad mother? Hell yes. But do I believe there was enough evidence that this woman killed her child that she deserves to be put away for life, or worse, executed? Hell no. But that wasn't the only option. There were two other lesser counts. You don't think the evidence was enough even for them?

And to all of the people compaining about the justice system in the United States of America, wake up! We are privileged to have such a democratic and thorough judiciary process. Just ask Amanda Knox. I'm sorry but statements like that is what makes Americans look so ignorant to other nations, not to mention chauvinistic. You think Italian justice system is undemocratic and not thorough? Using one example to claim some system is those things is just ignorant. No system is perfect and never will be. But the American justice system is so good it never fails, does it?

It's really insulting of you to say/imply that this jury got it wrong. [...] Twelve juror didn't get it wrong. Because they never got it wrong before, did they? The American justice system must be perfect after all, it makes humans infallible.

FiveRinger
07-06-2011, 02:40 AM
So what's next for Casey Anthony? Does she even have a place to go live?

Her attorneys said that she will NOT be going home to her family. They said they didn't know where she was going to be and even if they knew they wouldn't tell us. I saw this on CNN a few hours ago.

ks777
07-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Her attorneys said that she will NOT be going home to her family. They said they didn't know where she was going to be and even if they knew they wouldn't tell us. I saw this on CNN a few hours ago.

I wonder if she is going to get a new identity..

heckles
07-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Too bad OJ Simpson isn't in Florida anymore. Casey and OJ could have totally hooked up and compared notes.

Cyn
07-06-2011, 03:20 AM
This pretty much sums up my mood as of right now:

Host of the Seraphim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJOH5PImrw)

If there is a god and heaven exists, may that sweet, innocent child be soaring amongst the angels…..

zippy
07-06-2011, 03:22 AM
For those that say they had reasonable doubt, can you explain where the reasonable part comes in for you? I don't mean that quite the way it sounds; it's just that for any alternate scenario I come up with, I find it to be about as likely as me becoming the queen of England. Beyond reasonable doubt isn't the same as beyond the shadow of a doubt - there will always be a doubt of what happened unless you were there or it was caught on video or something. And if you always had to acquit cases where cause of death can't be proven, that would make it awfully easy to get away with murder - just make sure nobody finds the body for a good few months.

For me, the whole body of circumstantial plus forensic evidence is enough for a conviction, at the very least for manslaughter if not for 1st degree murder. There could be reasonable doubt for each piece of evidence individually, but not so much when they're put together. I have a science background and find forensics interesting. I watched the trial and thought the forensic evidence was very compelling, enough to prove that Caylee had been in the trunk of Casey's car for several days and that Casey was the one who dumped her in the woods. She was found a block away with duct tape across her mouth, the car that Casey abandoned tested through the roof for chloroform, and deleted searches for chloroform were found on the computer. Add to that Casey's behavior - the hiding, the lying, refusing to admit Caylee was even missing, not cooperating with police, etc. To me there's no scenario of true accidental death that can explain all that - the only thing is if there was something to cover up. I might have enough reasonable doubt to think that maybe a young, scared mother could act that way if there was an accident that involved gross negligence on her part, so I could see convicting for manslaughter and not murder. On the other hand, to sit in jail for 3 years and risk the death sentence because you couldn't admit you were being negligent and the child died accidentally?

I don't buy the defense theory that the grandfather was involved in a drowning accident cover-up because I think only one very confused person could let something snowball out of control like that. I don't think there's any way that two people could come to the same conclusion that covering it up would be a good idea. I also think an older person, more experienced in child rearing and especially with a law enforcement background would know to call 911. I find it suspicious that the defense waited so long to come up with the drowning theory, something that could fit with the pathology findings.

Maybe if Casey was scared to tell the truth about some sort of accident, she might have put on the duct tape to try to make it look like a kidnapping homicide. But she never went through with a kidnapping story until she was caught without Caylee an entire month later. I wonder what her plan was - to never tell anyone Caylee was gone? Just dump the car in a parking lot? Some of her text messages to friends around that time had me wondering if she was plotting something insidious toward her parents, too - telling a girl friend that she could move into the Anthony home and they could be roommates, and telling her boyfriend that soon he could come over and spend the night any time he wanted. Hopefully my imagination is just overly active and she's not a menace to society - although I do find it horrifying that she'll be free to reproduce again :scream:

Jenna
07-06-2011, 03:35 AM
But that wasn't the only option. There were two other lesser counts. You don't think the evidence was enough even for them?

I'm sorry but statements like that is what makes Americans look so ignorant to other nations, not to mention chauvinistic. You think Italian justice system is undemocratic and not thorough? Using one example to claim some system is those things is just ignorant. No system is perfect and never will be. But the American justice system is so good it never fails, does it?

Because they never got it wrong before, did they? The American justice system must be perfect after all, it makes humans infallible.
Wow, wow, wow. Nobody, including me, has ever said that the American justice system is infallible. It's not. However, comments like "I'm so disgusted with the justice system right now" are simply ignorant to me. The system in place is very fair, with both the prosecution and the defense having equal opportunity to speak and with both sides’ witnesses given ample opportunity to testify. I truly believe there is no better way to conduct a trial than the current system. Let's be real. Has every verdict rendered been a just one? No, humans aren't perfect, they're infallible. Was the verdict rendered today a just one? Nobody will ever know except Casey Anthony herself.

I wasn't putting down the Italian justice system, but there are two KEY differences, one being that the jurors that preceded during the Knox trial were not sequestered, and therefore, were susceptible to public and media opinion, which is, as we all know, very biased and also very influential. Separation of Church and State is another key difference, and is another advantage of the American Government. I don't know if I'd like to be tried in a courtroom where a large, wooden crucifix is the main piece of decor. Sure, it would be nice if the jurors got to leave the courtroom every day like everyone else, but the whole idea of them turning on the TV at night and watching people like Nancy Grace lambast Ms. Anthony for killing her daughter makes me uncomfortable and thankful that during this trial, the jurors were sequestered throughout the entire trial

Getting back to the verdict itself, it is my personal opinion, and I've stated this many times on this thread already, that there was not sufficient evidence for the homicide charge. The manslaughter charge is also a hefty one. It's hard to deny that Anthony was a terrible mother, and evidently, has some severe medical issues, but again, there was just an utter lack of tangible evidence and I can't justify putting someone away without PROOF, JMHO. The one charge she was convicted of providing false information to a law enforcement officer, is black and white. Not much debate there, she failed to report Caylee's absence for 31 days, and was punished for that. Everything else is purely circumstantial.

PrincessLeppard
07-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Most juries are not sequestered. When I was on mine, we were told not to watch the news, read the newspaper, talk to anyone about the trial or look at anything to do with the case on the internet. I followed those instructions and I believe most of my fellow jurors did as well.

numbers123
07-06-2011, 04:06 AM
for those of you who are concerned that she will reproduce again and that child would be endangered, remember this is such a high profile case and Casey is so recognizable that if she should have another child, there will be so many people looking out for any signs of abuse/neglect/abandonment.

Unless I was sitting in that juror chair, I really won't know their perspective. If I had watched every moment on TV, I see all the sidebars and the speculation of what those sidebars are about by the reporters. The jury does not have that perspective - they know that there is a sidebar end of story.

As a pediatric nurse and having seen many child abuse cases/some deaths where the perps are never punished, the only way I can possibly reconcile to that situation is to rely on my faith and know that eventually the perps will have to answer for their actions. I realize that many people don't have that faith.

taf2002
07-06-2011, 04:18 AM
So she is going to be released in a couple days? I wonder if she is going to be out partying hard this weekend?:D

Who would she party with? I feel sure her former friends are going to distance themselves from her.

I wonder if she is going to get a new identity..

Oh please. Who would give her a new identity as well as fund it? The only people who are likely to have anything to do with her now are the kind of people who want plenty of publicity, ie the tabloids of the world.

Civic
07-06-2011, 04:54 AM
The prosecutor Ashton is an idiot and a blowhard, the state has zero evidence that Casey committed premaditaded murder, no fingerprints, no dna no motive except the ridiculous assertion that she was a party girl. Their forensic evidence is truly laughable i believe Casey`s father is a dangerous man and should be investigated but since he is an ex cop he won`t be. As a Juror i would acquit hands down and that is what will happen.

Damn! You called it correctly. I haven't followed this case so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, I assume that the jury felt the prosecution didn't prove Ms. Anthony's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt since they acquitted her. In that case they did the right thing. She wasn't on trial for being a self-absorbed party girl.