PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Cyn
07-06-2011, 01:22 AM
It's really insulting of you to say/imply that this jury got it wrong. We all know how you feel about Casey. When it boils down, their decision was the only one that matters. You can spit all of the venom you want. It's not going to change the fact that the jury did what they could with the evidence and instructions they had. Twelve juror didn't get it wrong.

Maybe you're wearing a cape and have a big C on your chest. But, after all of this, all of the jurors, attorneys, the judge and everybody else has the right to be tired. I am tired for all of them and I am 1500 miles away. Just imagine having to live it or try to make sense of it. Are you that insensitive?

Yes, I believe that Casey had something to do with Caylee's death. The defense didn't have the burden of proof--the prosecution did. But my belief is based on what I know-- my knowledge came from the media in one form or another (including social media). And until we hear from just the alternate juror, it's wrong to make suppositions about what they think. After all, they didn't get to read all of your rants at FSU while sequestered telling them to fry the bitch, did they?

While it's often made as a joke, there's a lot of truth to the fact that juries are often composed of people who are too stupid to get out of serving on a jury (no offense meant to those here who have served - one of the reasons I enjoy this board is that the overwhelming majority of its members are intelligent and educated).

Dennis Miller back in 1990 had a great rant about jurors and how most of them wanted to get the hell out of there so they could get home to "watch Alice reruns because they thought Flo was a real hoot."

As for this case, why do I feel this way? For starters, I have a strong education in science, enough to understand what sounds like mumbo-jumbo to a lot of jurors when they hear testimony about DNA evidence, molecular science, and the like. I also watched the trial. Yes, it was long, and tedious, but it was informative. Had I been on that jury, you bet your sweet ass I would have held out for nothing less than Murder One.

I've been called for jury duty several times and gone through voir dire. Each time I've been dismissed, because of either my experience or education, and in one case, my socio-economic upbringing, and each time but for one, it was the defense counsel that crossed me off.

As for the venom, as you put it, as a mother, it is absolutely unacceptable and inexplicable that ICA (Inmate Casey Anthony) for 31 days went without reporting her daughter's absence, lied her ass off, and was partying like there was no tomorrow. So that venom comes from being a loving and caring mother who for the life of me cannot understand how someone who chose to give birth and raise a child, given such a loving gift of life, can piss it away to go hit the clubs and get tanked. Am I bitter, hell yes.

If you have a problem with that, well, that's your problem, not mine.

ETA: Just to add, FTR, that I pretty much avoided all the media shows that blew this into a massive to-do. There's just too much bias involved there.

ks777
07-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Hey I have a question. Can Florida state go after Goerge Anthony for helping cover up the drowning death of Caylee?

ilovepaydays
07-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Nancy Grace is on right now. Tried to watch it - I lasted about 4 minutes.

I don't entirely agree with the verdict, but I understand that the prosecution presented too weak of a case. Nancy Grace really needs to stop.

Cyn
07-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Vincent Bugliosi wrote a book following the OJ Simpson trial detailing how the prosecution failed in getting a conviction. I would hope to see him write a book about this one as well.

WindSpirit
07-06-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm speaking on philosophical terms. We do not know for sure what happened to Caylee. We were not there. We cannot know with 110% certainty (ie, being God and watching and knowing everything) that Casey was there either. That's why we have a justice system with juries and two sides arguing their opposing cases. Because we cannot know for sure. We don't have to accept the outcomes as correct, because we cannot know for sure either way. We just do the best we can. Exactly. The state has to prove a case beyond the reasonable doubt. That's not the same as 100% certainty that someone is guilty or not. There have been cases where the jurors said they felt someone was guilty but they didn't think the evidence presented was enough for a guilty verdict.

It's not a perfect system, but that's what we have. I always say, it's better to let a guilty person walk than to put an innocent person in jail. If you have doubts, go with your conscience.

I think Casey is guilty. For me the evidence was enough (certainly for one of the lesser charges). It might have been circumstantial and every single piece alone would not be enough, but together it painted a compelling picture. Unfortunately the jury didn't see it that way. I wish they would explain their reasoning so we could try to understand it. Although I don't blame them at all for not wanting to speak to the media. I wouldn't if I were on the jury, no matter the verdict. In this case, they probably knew people would be attacking them. Or at least questioning them. People/media would be pestering them for years to come. Who needs that? I'm not going to be surprised, though, if after it all settles, someone comes forward. There's usually at least one person who would like to discuss it. Plus, money talks.

As for Casey, I'm sure she thinks what she's always thought. That she's a great liar and she can manipulate everyone. She beat the system, there's no higher prize for a psychopath like her. She might even get rich on her daughter's death. Bella vita, indeed. My only hope is that she will never get pregnant again. Go have fun, lie and party your head off. Just don't bring another innocent life into this just to mess it up.

Jenna
07-06-2011, 01:35 AM
While it's often made as a joke, there's a lot of truth to the fact that juries are often composed of people who are too stupid to get out of serving on a jury (no offense meant to those here who have served - one of the reasons I enjoy this board is that the overwhelming majority of its members are intelligent and educated).

Dennis Miller back in 1990 had a great rant about jurors and how most of them wanted to get the hell out of there so they could get home to "watch Alice reruns because they thought Flo was a real hoot."

As for this case, why do I feel this way? For starters, I have a strong education in science, enough to understand what sounds like mumbo-jumbo to a lot of jurors when they hear testimony about DNA evidence, molecular science, and the like. I also watched the trial. Yes, it was long, and tedious, but it was informative. Had I been on that jury, you bet your sweet ass I would have held out for nothing less than Murder One.

I've been called for jury duty several times and gone through voir dire. Each time I've been dismissed, because of either my experience or education, and in one case, my socio-economic upbringing, and each time but for one, it was the defense counsel that crossed me off.

As for the venom, as you put it, as a mother, it is absolutely unacceptable and inexplicable that ICA (Inmate Casey Anthony) for 31 days went without reporting her daughter's absence, lied her ass off, and was partying like there was no tomorrow. So that venom comes from being a loving and caring mother who for the life of me cannot understand how someone who chose to give birth and raise a child, given such a loving gift of life, can piss it away to go hit the clubs and get tanked. Am I bitter, hell yes.

If you have a problem with that, well, that's your problem, not mine.

I understand your angst, frustration, and disgust with the verdict. This trial has been a polarizing and emotional one. However, you have to understand that you are viewing this case through the eyes of a biased media. You did not sit in the courtroom, you did not hear all of the testimony. You tell us what you would have done if you were on the jury, but you weren't. The case against Ms. Anthony is very compelling, and the information that you cited, such as the fact that she did not report the absence before the 31 day period, is confounding and stupefying. Yet, amongst all of this uncertainty, I haven't heard or seen any hard, tangible evidence that leads me to think "Yes, it's her, it's Casey. She murdered her daughter." Apparently, you've seen something that I haven't.

Cyn
07-06-2011, 01:41 AM
I understand your angst, frustration, and disgust with the verdict. This trial has been a polarizing and emotional one. However, you have to understand that you are viewing this case through the eyes of a biased media. You did not sit in the courtroom, you did not hear all of the testimony. You tell us what you would have done if you were on the jury, but you weren't. The case against Ms. Anthony is very compelling, and the information that you cited, such as the fact that she did not report the absence before the 31 day period, is confounding and stupefying. Yet, amongst all of this uncertainty, I haven't heard or seen any hard, tangible evidence that leads me to think "Yes, it's her, it's Casey. She murdered her daughter." Apparently, you've seen something that I haven't.

I wasn't *in* the courtroom, but I did watch the webstream from the Orlando affiliate, as well as the daytime trial coverage on TruTV (taking my breaks when they would switch over to the analysts and pundits). Was it exhausting and draining? Hell yes. Did I feel it was important to watch? Absolutely.

What is truly mind-boggling is that she was acquitted of aggravated child abuse. At the very least, she should have been convicted of reckless endangerment (which IIRC would mean a conviction of either Manslaughter or Murder II).

Oh, and if you think this is angst, you should have seen my reaction when Susan Smith received Life with the possibility of parole. Anyone who remembers the Manson thread two years ago this August should also know my stance on that case.

In my (educated in Psychology) opinion, Casey Anthony is a classic sociopath. Seal the fcuking vault.

ETA: Found this on Websleuths, if anyone is interested:

Join us for a special edition of Websleuths Radio tonight. Richard Hornsby will join us and we can all vent about the verdict.

11 PM Eastern/ 8 PM Pacific

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websleuths/2011/07/06/casey-anothy-not-guilty

Call in (7.6.0.) 825-0933 Or toll free 8.7.7. 665-1565

Please join us. Let's talk about this. And you can say whatever you want.

cruisin
07-06-2011, 01:53 AM
I think it's hard to not be emotional about this verdict. Even if she did not have a part in Caylee's death (which I believe is doubtful), she did nothing for 31 days. I understand that if the child was already dead, the concept of abuse cannot exist. A deceased child can not be abused. But, unless she knew that Caylee was dead, how could a mother not be tearing out her hair with worry about a missing child? How, if she did know the child was dead (even if she didn't cause the death) could she be partying? It goes against every ounce of human nature for a parent. A normal parent would take a bullet for their child, a normal parent does not blithely go about their social activities when they do not know where that child is or know it has died.

But, again, the problem is that there was not enough evidence for the jury. I did not watch the trial, I watched clips and news coverage. I believe Casey was involved, though I don't know in what manner (intentional or accidental). I don't know if that would be enough to convict if I were on the jury. My gut instinct should not rule a decision like that.

skatemommy
07-06-2011, 01:58 AM
^partying like a rock star and taking pictures with your stripper friends should lend cred that you are not normal while your child is missing with the supposed nanny. Just saw baby daddy on NG and he seems like a decent person. God rest little Caylee's soul. You are safe now in the arms of our Saviour.

IceAlisa
07-06-2011, 02:09 AM
I have a question for those who followed the trial. When the searches for "chloroform" were found, did they mention which web pages were actually visited?

ks777
07-06-2011, 02:10 AM
^partying like a rock star and taking pictures with your stripper friends should lend cred that you are not normal while your child is missing with the supposed nanny. Just saw baby daddy on NG and he seems like a decent person. God rest little Caylee's soul. You are safe now in the arms of our Saviour.

Caylee's father? what is an NG?

skatingfan5
07-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Caylee's father? what is an NG?I think "NG" refers to Nancy Grace. I didn't realize that Caylee's father had ever been identified.

ks777
07-06-2011, 02:13 AM
I think "NG" refers to Nancy Grace. I didn't realize that Caylee's father had ever been identified.

oh I was thinking National Geographic? guess not.

Coco
07-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Was there a specific instance of child abuse that caused them to charge her with aggravated child abuse?

Could they have charged her with child neglect resulting in death? Is that a crime in FL?

I'm sure basic child neglect is. They can prove that she didn't look hard enough for her kid when she went missing. Maybe they were holding that charge back in case of an acquittal? Has the prosecution mentioned plans to charge her with additional crimes?

As horrible as it is that she will be free w/in a year, it's hard to convict someone of murder when they can't prove the victim was murdered.

I'm a little surprised about the manslaughter acquittal, though.

skatingfan5
07-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Maybe they were holding that charge back in case of an acquittal? Has the prosecution mentioned plans to charge her with additional crimes?They cannot charge her with any other crimes related to Caylee's death -- there is no reason to "hold back" a charge, because they would never be able to use it if Casey were acquitted.