PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

judiz
07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Given the time served and the fact the only thing Casey was found guilty of carries a one year sentence, HLN is reporting that Casey may be freed as of Thursday if depending what the judge decides.

sliver98
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Well i was 100% correct only found guity of providing false information to law enforcement, Casey should be set free tomorrow since she already served three years in jail without even being convicted i hope the judge will set her free.

DickButtonFan
07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Florida can't figure out how to vote so... maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

IceAlisa
07-05-2011, 11:27 PM
^^^Do you mind keeping politics out of this, seeing as this isn't the PI?

Did anyone hear the alternate juror speak? He said that he supported the verdict 100% and that he thought Caylee had some sort of an accident which Casey and her father tried to cover up. He couldn't answer the question as to what evidence was there to make him believe this.

He also said Casey's father was combative (was he?). Sounds like the jury didn't believe prosecution showed that Casey killed or otherwise contributed to Caylee's death and think that her father was somehow involved. Again, no evidence for that last particular belief.

haribobo
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
The only thing that I am shaking my head at is the fact that a party girl has managed to outsmart (whether on purpose or not is another topic) our criminal justice system. That should be the book that she writes. She lies and manipulates....has been perfecting her craft for her entire life. We already know how she "got away with murder."

:cool:

Kasey
07-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Well i was 100% correct only found guity of providing false information to law enforcement, Casey should be set free tomorrow since she already served three years in jail without even being convicted i hope the judge will set her free.

Um, all kinds of people are held in jail without bail awaiting trial. Especially people with a high risk to flee, and certainly people with a noted and long history of lying. No, she hadn't been convicted, but so haven't many who either are too high a risk pre-trial, or too unfortunate to have money for bail or someone to bail them out. It certainly isn't something specific to this person or case.

taf2002
07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Right, and none of us can say that we would've came up with a different verdict no matter how sure we are on a figure skating forum and in the court of public opinion.

Yes, I can say I would have come up with a different verdict. If nothing else, child abuse/neglect was proved, in that Casey's daughter was missing for an entire month while she did not report her missing.

Circumstantial evidence is all the state has in most murder cases. How many murders have at least 2 eyewitnesses? I would say very very few.

IMO Baez should not have been allowed to use the drowning/coverup theory in his closing arguement. In using it, he essentially became a witness. There was no other evidence of this. George Anthony denied it & Casey did not testify so the only source of this story was Baez.

Re retrying her for something else, since she never testified, it would be next to impossible. For example, if she had testified & then later bragged that she got away with murder, they could try her because she committed perjury. But I can't think of anything they can now get her on.

Cyn
07-05-2011, 11:39 PM
That's not fair. I believe that the jury is exhausted. These aren't legal experts and yet they've been subjected to all kinds of legalese and evidence for going on 6 weeks now. They are away from their loved ones, sequestered with 11 strangers living in a hotel with no outside contact (internet, tv, etc). And they deliberated during the holiday while the rest of the country was sucking on rib tip bones. I might have lasted a few days.

And after all of this, they made their decision with the evidence presented to them. Now they are going to be subjected to public outrage because they came to a different conclusion than we did? We were not presented with the same evidence as they were and it certainly wasn't under the same circumstances.

The only thing that I am shaking my head at is the fact that a party girl has managed to outsmart (whether on purpose or not is another topic) our criminal justice system. That should be the book that she writes. She lies and manipulates....has been perfecting her craft for her entire life. We already know how she "got away with murder."

Please…….during the Manson trial the jury was sequestered for over 7 months, and they certainly weren't too tired to find Manson, Atkins, Krenwinkle, and Van Houten guilty in a trial that was based strongly and primarily on circumstantial evidence. Ditto for Tex Watson, though his trial did not take as long.

At least California got that one right. Maybe Vincent Bugliosi should have been the one to try Casey Anthony.

skatingfan5
07-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes, I can say I would have come up with a different verdict. If nothing else, child abuse/neglect was proved, in that Casey's daughter was missing for an entire month while she did not report her missing. Just playing the devil's advocate here, but if Caylee had died due to some sort of accident, and Casey then concealed the fact, then she would be guilty of not reporting a death, but not necessarily have committed any abuse/neglect. (I.e. Casey didn't report Caylee as "missing" because she knew that Caylee was in fact dead.) Again, this is not the scenario that I personally believe (I think that Casey played some part in Caylee's death), but it is a possibility. If that were true, then abuse/neglect would not have been proved.

Silver Lining
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM

You happy now?? My mother tried this crap on me and would have gotten away with it. So what if George Anthony's mistress said it was an accident that snowballed out of control. That could have meant Casey had told him she accidentally killed Caylee with chloroform and tried to make it look like a stranger did it. Why did Casey research chloroform on Google, delete those searches only, then have her mother lie and say she did it? Did you not watch Casey's reaction during Ashton's rebuttal? She was not angry, she cried tears of guilt. Only when they quoted her as dragging her parents into it that she got mad, shook her head and said "I never said that". If I was innocent I'd be mad as hell and insist on testifying. This verdict sends a message to mothers that they can get away with murder as long as they wear gloves and have their father play the role of red herring. If I was still a child my world would get a lot more scary after today because my mother would be a lot more confident.
Enjoy your victory.

I heard the alternate juror on the phone. He sounded like an airhead.

Silver Lining
07-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Did anyone hear the alternate juror speak? He said that he supported the verdict 100% and that he thought Caylee had some sort of an accident which Casey and her father tried to cover up. He couldn't answer the question as to what evidence was there to make him believe this.

He also said Casey's father was combative (was he?). Sounds like the jury didn't believe prosecution showed that Casey killed or otherwise contributed to Caylee's death and think that her father was somehow involved. Again, no evidence for that last particular belief.

Yeah, he completely side-stepped the questions asked of him.

numbers123
07-05-2011, 11:53 PM
The defense did NOT have to prove that Ms. Anthony was innocent of killing her daughter, they only had to prove that there was reasonable DOUBT that she didn't.
This - it is one of the founding issues of our country. You are innocent until PROVEN guilty.
Not that I don't believe that she is innocent of many of the charges.

I did follow the case. I said I didn't follow it "as closely as many of you."
I agree with Jenna - I followed it, but not as closely as some of you. Juries have the obligation to listen to all the testimony and weigh all of the possibilities/doubts that may exist.

The jury should not be blamed. These people had to sit there day in, and day out for months, even being sequestered on a national holiday. They shouldn't be ostracized for making what they felt was an honest and fair decision in such an emotional case.
The jury have 12 members. 12 people who had to listen/see information for months. 12 people who had to make a decision that most people would not ever want to do. How many posters have tried to avoid/get out of jury duty? These people served on a very difficult case.

Right, and none of us can say that we would've came up with a different verdict no matter how sure we are on a figure skating forum and in the court of public opinion.
This

There is nothing wrong with circumstantial evidence. If there is enough of it, it can prove a case.
This

Tinami Amori
07-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I am wondering what it means to be "morally certain"..

Do you remember when Tv’ya The Milkman is arguing with himself about his daughters’ engagements which defile Jewish Traditions? The soul-searching he is going through while loving his daughters but feeling they committed “wrong”?

With first daughter he says “on one hand she broke the tradition” - “on the other hand they love each other”… and forgives her. (after examining all arguments he is giving her the benefit of reasonable doubt).

With second daughter he says “on one hand she broke the tradition” – “on the other hand it’s 20th century so maybe its time for a change”…… and he forgives her….. (after examining all arguments he is giving her the benefit of reasonable doubt).

But with the third daughter he says “on one hand she betrayed her faith and family” – “but on the other hand…….. “…… And then he yells “But on the other hand - There Is No Other Hand”…. and disowns her (because he went one step beyond a reasonable doubt and is morally certain of her wrong doing which does not deserve forgiveness).

Or watch "The 12 Angry Men" one more time..... :lol: (if you did not see it yet, I highly recommend for one of the best legal arguments in favor of "beyond reasonable doubt" and for the movie itself).
There is also a new Russian remake - "12" by Konchalovsky (quite good to my surprise!).

IceAlisa
07-05-2011, 11:55 PM
I heard the alternate juror on the phone. He sounded like an airhead.

He did.

Tinami, yes I remember that. Just goes to show you how subjective reasonable doubt can be.

Tinami Amori
07-06-2011, 12:03 AM
He did.

Tinami, yes I remember that. Just goes to show you how subjective reasonable doubt can be.

Yet, in 12 Angry Men, it's the insistence of one Juror to consider all aspects of reasonable doubt that saved the boy from conviction.