PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

missing
07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
I love America.

I haven't followed the case. I have no idea of the strength or weaknesses of the evidence.

What I do know is a jury of her peers wasn't influenced by the overzealous, out for the money, quick to condemn hysteria of Nancy Grace and Fox News, and came to its own decision on the matter.

I can live without the endless singing of "God Bless America' and "Proud To Be An American," and the mindless flagwaving that's so popular nowadays. But there are moments when Americans rise to the occasion, and this just might be one of them.

OlieRow
07-05-2011, 08:44 PM
When Zanaida sues can she go after any part of the potential profits Casey can make from book/tv/movie/etc deals or just what she has (or doesn't have) now?

ITA re: feeling some sympathy towards Casey's family. It's certainly dysfunctional, but they're shattered and she pretty much threw her father and brother under the bus. I suspect her web of lies have left her almost completely alone. Her old "friends" have seen her deception be exposed and I presume they've moved on with their lives while she's been locked up.

I wonder how much the jury was impacted based on their past experiences. One of the anchors was saying there's someone who had been convicted of a DUI, another who served time for assaulting their father with the help of her boyfriend (I think?), etc. I know the way I (only experience with the law is a speeding ticket) view law enforcement compared to the views of my sister and her boyfriend (both have DUIs and I think there's a drug and/or assault charge in there somewhere as well).

KHenry14
07-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I can't imagine Casey making a lot of money now. Even if she had the gaul to write a book, it wouldn't be a best seller. Her best bet is to change her name, her look and try to disappear.

One also wonders if her parents will disown her now.

Beefcake
07-05-2011, 08:46 PM
missing: Please take your venom to the Politically Incorrect forum.

signed,
Mindless flagwaver

Oh, but it must have been just awful for you, yesterday, to watch us all celebrate. :rolleyes:

GaPeach
07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
How can the jury not look at one piece of evidence? :confused:

skatemommy
07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
^ the duct tape was traced back to the Anthony house. Surely that is abuse if not murder?

Carmen Ovsiannikov
07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
:40beers: and :respec: Beefcake.

Flagwaving? :rolleyes: Yesterday was Independence Day which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with people being angry over Casey Anthony about to be set free after what she did and the seeming disregard by the jurors of the evidence presented by the prosecution. They must have been daydreaming during the entire trial.

I'm so not a fan of Fox News or Nancy Grace yet somehow in my overzealous flagwaving managed to make up my mind without the help of Fox News or Nancy Grace. Go Figure. :blah:

Beefcake
07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
^ Oh, Carmen. Naive Carmen. You made the mistake of knowing something about the case. Maybe if you had not "followed the case" and "[had] no idea of the strength or weaknesses of the evidence," you too would be cheering the verdict as a wonderful victory for America? :D

For the record, I believe that I am like many here -- firmly believe that our judicial system is the best in the world all things considered, but baffled at this verdict. "God Bless America."

That said, I would rather a WTF verdict every once in a while where a guilty person walks free to a system that falls the other way --- resulting in too many non-guilty people being sent to prison. The jury has spoken ... Casey Anthony is not guilty.

BlueRidge
07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I didn't follow this case, but given the heinousness of the crime I certainly understand people being upset.

That said, I don't see anything patriotic in putting down our judicial system. I think that we have to have the standard of a reasonable doubt, maybe it failed in this case, but I don't see any patriotism in talking about our judicial system as something bad and failed. Sorry, waving the flag doesn't disguise the hatred for our system that some express.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I didn't follow this case, but given the heinousness of the crime I certainly understand people being upset.

That said, I don't see anything patriotic in putting down our judicial system. I think that we have to have the standard of a reasonable doubt, maybe it failed in this case, but I don't see any patriotism in talking about our judicial system as something bad and failed. Sorry, waving the flag doesn't disguise the hatred for our system that some express.

THIS ^

Cheylana
07-05-2011, 09:07 PM
My mom thinks Casey is innocent :wall:

But then again, she is convinced Tonya Harding and O.J. Simpson are also innocent :wall::wall:

I've just come to accept that my mother believes criminals are mythological creatures and nobody actually commits crimes :wall::wall::wall:
My mom's reaction to the verdict: (1) She never saw anyone so horrible as Nancy Grace (well, that is sort of true); (2) What will Casey's future bring? She will need help! (3) Now all these people think she's a murderer, and she's not, though she probably caused the child to die, she did NOT do it intentionally! :rolleyes:

FiveRinger
07-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Nancy Grace is just vile. She's a part of the media. And she is biased. And yes,Ms Grace, people do have the right to criticize you. She's proven to be an overzealous nut in more than one case.

Beefcake
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Yes. NG is an ugly person. I truly believe that Nancy would willfully adminster the lethal injection on many a capital case [or, why not?, a parental kidnapping case]. And why waste the taxpayers' money on a trial?! :blah: She'd do it before all that silliness.

rfisher
07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I can't imagine Casey making a lot of money now. Even if she had the gaul to write a book, it wouldn't be a best seller. Her best bet is to change her name, her look and try to disappear.

One also wonders if her parents will disown her now.

Are you kidding? She'll get a huge advance and the book will fly off the shelves. People love stuff like this. I suspect a publisher has already contacted her with a ghost writer.

FiveRinger
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Are you kidding? She'll get a huge advance and the book will fly off the shelves. People love stuff like this. I suspect a publisher has already contacted her with a ghost writer.

Right. The very ones who are screaming outrage will be the first ones lined up to buy the book, movie tickets, etc.

Even if Oprah isn't available, Barbara Walters and Matt Lauer will be.