PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony trial

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Anita18
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
And Casey. We all know she did it. The evidence would have been plenty for me to convict her, at least with a life sentence.

I would bet she'll do time served because they have to know what would happen to her in prison now--someone would want to be the hero(ine) and get justice prison-style. (Child killers do VERY BADLY in the general population.)
I'm speaking on philosophical terms. We do not know for sure what happened to Caylee. We were not there. We cannot know with 110% certainty (ie, being God and watching and knowing everything) that Casey was there either. That's why we have a justice system with juries and two sides arguing their opposing cases. Because we cannot know for sure. We don't have to accept the outcomes as correct, because we cannot know for sure either way. We just do the best we can.

rfisher
Isn't her family bankrupted after all this? How is she going to support herself? I can't see it being easy to get a job. She basically needs witness protection...

From the book and movie deals coming her way. She can sell the story whereever she wants and for as much as she wants. Sadly, people will buy the book.

sk9tingfan
I still find it absolutely unconscionable that they did not find her guilty of child abuse. That one absolutely boggles the mind - just WTF does it take to be guilty of that charge?

Was that a charge that was one of those presented to the jury? If not, then the jury could not find her guilty on that count.

Cyn
07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Was that a charge that was one of those presented to the jury? If not, then the jury could not find her guilty on that count.

Not guilty on the charge of aggravated child abuse.

sk9tingfan
07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
From the book and movie deals coming her way. She can sell the story whereever she wants and for as much as she wants. Sadly, people will buy the book.

This may be prevented from the standing "Son of Sam" laws on the books preventing a defendent from profiting. Nancy Grace just indicated this on HLN

Cheylana
07-05-2011, 07:58 PM
From the book and movie deals coming her way.
Maybe a reality show, too!

sk9tingfan
07-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Not guilty on the charge of aggravated child abuse.

Then, that's insane.

Anita18
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Shocking. What do you all think was going through the jurors' minds? And does anyone have the legal definition of reasonable doubt?

The fact that the verdict was reached relatively quickly points to defense's case being convincing to the jury. I didn't find it convincing.
The burden's always on the prosecution to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately the jury simply didn't think the evidence was enough to prove that. The defense's case could be as incompetent as all get out, but they can get away with it as long as the prosecution's is equally weak.

IceAlisa
This may be prevented from the standing "Son of Sam" laws on the books preventing a defendent from profiting. Nancy Grace just indicated this on HLN

What are these laws?

rfisher

You didn't listen to all she said. Son of Sam applies to convicted killers. She was acquited so the law will not apply. She's free to sell where she wants.

skatingfan5
How much do you want to bet the first thing that bitch does is go out and party her ass off to celebrate? I hope someone cracks a beer bottle on her head.Given the anger and outrage expressed in just this thread, the likelihood of your getting your wish is probably fairly high. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone decides to take it upon themselves to give Casey their own version of "justice".

reese
07-05-2011, 08:00 PM

No. Casey is free to make as much money as she possibly can because she was found not guilty.

IceAlisa
07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
The burden's always on the prosecution to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately the jury simply didn't think the evidence was enough to prove that. The defense's case could be as incompetent as all get out, but they can get away with it as long as the prosecution's is equally weak.

I know what the burden of proof means. I was wondering if someone could provide the legal definition of reasonable doubt.

Beefcake
07-05-2011, 08:06 PM
No. Casey is free to make as much money as she possibly can because she was found not guilty.
Yep. This monster got everything she ever wanted -- which was to be forever free of that brat -- and more! :rollin:

"More" because Anthony is famous. So what if it's infamous, because monster has enough "fans", sob sisters, and lookie loos to have a profitable life. Hell, we may get to see her, ala Amy Fisher, on Celebrity Rehab circa 2017.

skatingfan5
07-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I know what the burden of proof means. I was wondering if someone could provide the legal definition of reasonable doubt.
reasonable doubt n. not being sure of a criminal defendant's guilt to a moral certainty. Thus, a juror (or judge sitting without a jury) must be convinced of guilt of a crime (or the degree of crime, as murder instead of manslaughter) "beyond a reasonable doubt," and the jury will be told so by the judge in the jury instructions. However, it is a subjective test since each juror will have to decide if his/her doubt is reasonable. It is more difficult to convict under that test, than "preponderance of the evidence" to decide for the plaintiff (party bringing the suit) in a civil (non-criminal) trial.

More here (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Reasonable+Doubt) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_doubt).