PDA

View Full Version : No Oprah finale thread?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Stefanie
05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
How will we know what books to read without Oprah suggesting titles for us? ;) :lol:

Stefanie
05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
I couldn't stomach one minute of the overindulgent/celebrity-worship lovefest that marked the last 2 shows

Definitely won't miss how she would announce the celebrities before they came on stage. E.g., "Celine Diioooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!" "Julia Robbbbertttttttttts" :wall:

Satellitegirl
05-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Definitely won't miss how she would announce the celebrities before they came on stage. E.g., "Celine Diioooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!" "Julia Robbbbertttttttttts" :wall:

:rofl:

nubka
05-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Goodbye, Oprah! :scream: :scream:

rfisher
05-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Good lord the woman's been leaving forever. She's the house guest from Hell.

I worked with a radiology resident who was a TV weather guy in his first incarnation of himself. He worked with Oprah way before she was *Oprah* at a small Chicago TV station. He said she was a really nice person with an incredible work ethic which explains why *she's a brilliant businesswoman.* Bless her heart.

skipaway
05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Just surprised I haven't seen a discussion.

I just assumed she'd find her way here and then she'd start one of her own....it is all about Oprah!

Aussie Willy
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
She is probably planning on becoming the first woman president of the US. She would probably win too.

Although isn't Kwan mean to be the first woman president of the US?

skatingfan5
05-26-2011, 11:00 PM
I worked with a radiology resident who was a TV weather guy in his first incarnation of himself. He worked with Oprah way before she was *Oprah* at a small Chicago TV station. He said she was a really nice person with an incredible work ethic which explains why *she's a brilliant businesswoman.* Bless her heart.I wouldn't call WLS "a small Chicago TV station" -- granted it's not WABC in New York, but still. :drama: The AM Chicago 1/2 hour show Oprah hosted was definitely a small start (the show was in last place in its time slot when she came on board), but within months it was in first and went national 2-3 years later. I can't believe I know this much about Oprah :shuffle:, but since I'm in Illinois, I probably know as much about Phil Donahue. :lol: I know absolutely nothing about Jerry Springer -- except that he was on DWTS and a mayor! somewhere -- and from the promo clips I've seen for his show, I probably should be glad that I don't! :scream:

Cheylana
05-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Oprah definitely can be annoying but I can't hate on her...I love her self-made, rags-to-riches story so much!

So, I watched some of the old clips these last few weeks. I forgot about the time Oprah rolled out all that raw meat on the wagon and said it represented the weight she had lost. Looking at all that meat made me really nauseous then...and now! :lol:

That part made me want to hurl....especially when Jada Pinkett was onstage, and that patronizing comment she made about Oprah not having children of her own, but being a "mother to millions". Maybe it's me, but I had a real problem with the way she said it, the words and the tone.
It's not just you; it bugged me too. "Oh Oprah, you failed to squirt a new generation of famewhores out of your hooha like I did, but you're still good people!" :D

Rex
05-26-2011, 11:40 PM
It's not just you; it bugged me too. "Oh Oprah, you failed to squirt a new generation of famewhores out of your hooha like I did, but you're still good people!" :D :rofl: So true, Cheylana. I can't stand those little brats of hers.

She totally could have said something else. Totally.

milanessa
05-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Oprah has certainly evolved in her TV career. Her first network shows were more of the scandalous variety. Think a much, much milder Jerry Springer. But that was back when those shows were just getting a toehold on TV - much as reality shows are now. The first ones aren't so bad but then everyone tries to outdo each other until the market is saturated and they are soooo bad.

Rafter
05-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Just a bunch of hype over someone who thinks she has made more of a difference in the world than she actually has.

Well from a philanthropic standpoint, the woman has done tons for the world. She's reportedly given away $300-400M of her own money to charity and various causes.

I'm not surprised to hear she was a hardworker. I don't think you get to be that successful and filthy rich without a tremendous amount of hard work.

PeterG
05-27-2011, 02:27 AM
"Bitter bitches? Table for 24?"

:rolleyes:

skateboy
05-28-2011, 03:40 AM
The thing that bugs me about Oprah is her sense of self-importance. A couple of days after 9/11, when I was living in NYC, y'all may remember the huge gathering at Yankee Stadium with Giuliani, the Clintons, etc. Oprah was the host. When she got up and delivered her speech, continuously saying (in overdone fashion) "...AND WE WILL NOT BE MOOOOOOVED," it really made me want to hurl. To me, it came across so fake--I truly believe she was desperately trying to be thought of as the next Martin Luther King, Jr., during one of the biggest crises in American history. Yecch.

She's a media figure, to be sure: I certainly can't deny she's created her own success. But I have a hard time accessing the deification of this woman. I rarely watch her show, but I tuned in briefly about a month ago. Celebrities were saying, "Oprah--you have changed the face of America!" (Ummmm... how exactly has she done THAT?) And what's more, she said "thank you" with such a lack of humility, as if to say, "damn straight, honey--you may now kiss my feet and then slink away..."

You can bet this woman will run for public office in the not-so-distant future.

Anita18
05-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Good lord the woman's been leaving forever. She's the house guest from Hell.

I worked with a radiology resident who was a TV weather guy in his first incarnation of himself. He worked with Oprah way before she was *Oprah* at a small Chicago TV station. He said she was a really nice person with an incredible work ethic which explains why *she's a brilliant businesswoman.* Bless her heart.
I'm not a huge fan of Oprah's show, but she's always had a generous heart. Most people think that you need to be a conniving SOB stepping on people to be successful, but it's great to hear that Oprah is one of the good guys. :)