PDA

View Full Version : CTV, TSN to broadcast skating again in Canada!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Parsley Sage
05-25-2011, 07:18 PM
No mention of worlds, 4CC's and the GPF though.

http://www.bellmediapr.ca/ctv/releases/release.asp?id=13818&yyyy=2011

Bell Media and Skate Canada announced today they have reached a landmark 10-year rights agreement making Bell Media’s CTV, TSN and RDS the official broadcasters of Skate Canada. As part of the agreement, CTV, TSN and RDS acquire exclusive multimedia rights to all of Skate Canada’s premier domestic events including Skate Canada International and the Canadian Figure Skating Championships.

Lookingood
05-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Yea this is not a good news.

victorskid
05-25-2011, 08:04 PM
But will they have PJ??

Parsley Sage
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
But will they have PJ??

My guess is that CBC will have Worlds, 4CC's and the GPF and PJ too.

manhn
05-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Why in the world are people excited! No way CTV and TSN will air skating in their entirety like CBC and BOLD have. This sucks!

Rafter
05-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Maybe TSN2 would cover worlds etc the way Bold has?

I hope Tracy Wilson will do the commentary on CTV.

I found this interesting:

CTV will also work with Skate Canada to develop new made-for-television figure skating events.

I wonder if they are going to try and do ISU-sanctioned TV events similar to what the Japanese Fed is doing.

WildRose
05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Why in the world are people excited! No way CTV and TSN will air skating in their entirety like CBC and BOLD have. This sucks!

I totally agree - this is not good news.

WildRose
05-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Maybe TSN2 would cover worlds etc the way Bold has?

CTV is only doing Canadian domestic events - not worlds. Hopefully CBC will still carry the Grand Prix & Worlds.

victoriajh
05-25-2011, 10:14 PM

i was thinking the same thing =( i love having it available on line to watch too- bummer back to 2 hours of coverage per event if we are lucky....

AJ Skatefan
05-25-2011, 10:15 PM
I like CBC because I can get it here in Seattle!

Lookingood
05-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Ahhh i see, i didn't see that coming.

Yea this sucks!

overedge
05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
CTV will also work with Skate Canada to develop new made-for-television figure skating events.

Battle of the...er, um...Sharp-Edged Metal Objects?

I will be very sad if this deal doesn't involve online broadcasts of entire events, like CBC has done on BOLD and cbc.ca. As much as CTV has done for figure skating broadcasting in Canada in the past, AFAIK it hasn't ever done anything like what CBC did in the past few years.

flowerpower
05-25-2011, 10:42 PM

ITA. Not good at all!

Back to limited coverage and no live streaming. :(

It will be interesting to see who they choose to do the commentary alongside Rod Black.

ETA: OK, maybe I was wrong. The press release mentions coverage on TSN2 as well, so there may be quite a few hours there. We'll have to wait for more details. I'm really wondering what will happen with the international events, too.

SpeedySucks
05-25-2011, 11:10 PM
The Bold coverage was fantastic for diehard fans, but I'm sure Skate Canada was more concerned with having live primetime coverage on CTV and TSN, which CBC couldn't offer. CBC aired Thursday and Friday coverage at 3pm and midnight, when people are at work or in bed. They couldn't air coverage on Saturday night because of hockey, and any primetime coverage on Sunday night was taped. Skate Canada couldn't have been thrilled with that--it's certainly not a good way to build viewership across Canada.

flowerpower
05-25-2011, 11:16 PM
The Bold coverage was fantastic for diehard fans, but I'm sure Skate Canada was more concerned with having live primetime coverage on CTV and TSN, which CBC couldn't offer. CBC aired Thursday and Friday coverage at 3pm and midnight, when people are at work or in bed. They couldn't air coverage on Saturday night because of hockey, and any primetime coverage on Sunday night was taped. Skate Canada couldn't have been thrilled with that--it's certainly not a good way to build viewership across Canada.

That is very true. Perhaps between CTV, TSN and TSN2 it might be possible to better market the sport in primetime, yet also provide extensive coverage for those who wish it (on TSN2). We'll see.