PDA

View Full Version : CTV, TSN to broadcast skating again in Canada!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

dramagrrl
11-19-2011, 02:52 AM
This is totally ridiculous. If this continues in the future, I will think twice before deciding to attend Canadians - one of my favourite events - live again.

NorthernDancers
11-19-2011, 03:51 AM
This is a really dumb decision. It has nothing to do with what's best for the sport, the skaters, or the fans. It's unequal, since it doesn't impact men's. It's very unfair to the skaters. It undermines the principles of COP. Are we saying that the final results are determined in the short programs? There is no more movement allowed after the short? We are back to the politics of waiting one's turn? Doesn't this backfire on Skate Canada if there is movement from the 2nd flight to the last? And doesn't that now sell this skater/team short that they were denied skating with the top skaters? And how can the scores between events, which really should be the same event, be fairly made/decided? Doesn't happen with ladies, but what is the protocol when there are not enough teams to fill dance or pairs? There were only 9 or 10 in dance last year. And what message is being sent to developing teams or skaters that aren't ready for the top flight yet? They don't matter, and they aren't worth watching? They all EARNED their spot at Canadians through Challenge. It's not like there are flights and flights at Canadians. It's 18 for singles, 12 for pairs, and 15 for dance. 3 flights each. It's a development opportunity to rub shoulders with the best. And what about the fans? What if they actually wanted to watch the whole dance event final? Now they have to hang around all day? Or what happens if they only buy the evening event and don't actually get to see a medalist compete because they skated lights out in the afternoon? I'd feel ripped off. And what about friends and families of developing skaters who won't get to see their favourites skate personal bests on TV like last year with CBC? This is about CTV not caring to keep up the tradition. They have enough channels. There is nothing to stop the main network from picking and choosing highlights to show in prime time. This whole approach is absolutely ridiculous. I really hope there is such a backlash that the policy is changed quickly.

AragornElessar
11-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Congratulations Skate Canada.

No, really. Congratulations. In one single day, a decision regarding the sport has managed to top the anger over a certain Pairs scandal that we're almost ten years away from, and straight across the Skating fandom to boot.

Are they INSANE!?! This is only going to hurt them in the long run, as who wants to spend that much time at the arena to begin w/? And how does the Public at home get to know the young up and comers coming up the ranks if we don't get to see them?

If this was a cost cutting measure due to the fact there's no big name sponsor for the big events, them by the SkateGods they need to find them and FAST.

What a stupid, idiotic, boneheaded move. :mad:

Seerek
11-19-2011, 05:01 AM
CTV/TSN must assume that nobody from the 2nd to last group in these events will perform well enough to move into National Team member positioning.

This format will almost prove to be impossible to provide accurate scoring of components scores for the last group relative to the rest of the field (they will likely be badly inflated for the last group).

Also, does that mean they will do a zamboni flood between each of the final groups for the disciplines in the evening session?

Skate Talker
11-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Is it April 1 today? Surely it has to be.

The article quotes Thompson as saying that this format has been used elsewhere and that a trial of this sort of nonsense was tried at Worlds in Turin in 2010 but dropped after it was panned. IMAGINE THAT - so why are we continuing a failed experiment in Canada, for the love of mike?

flowerpower
11-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Whole post.

ITA. Worst idea ever. :scream:

manhn
11-19-2011, 07:57 AM
The lower-ranked groups of skaters will compete during the afternoon, but will not be shown on television. And those who pay to watch them will not know who won the event until the evening.

Uhm, WHAT?!?!!? Why can't they be shown on TSN2 or something?

I am sure the wonderful commentary and the lack of midnight airings will comfort some people.

kwanfan1818
11-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Uhm, WHAT?!?!!? Why can't they be shown on TSN2 or something?
Because they're taking a variation on a scheme the ISU used and then rejected. Such genius cannot be fathomed.

Japanfan
11-19-2011, 08:56 AM
It's very unfair to the skaters. It undermines the principles of COP. Are we saying that the final results are determined in the short programs? There is no more movement allowed after the short?

I don't think this is the case. The skate order would be determined after the SP as usual, and if a skater in the second to last group did really well, their scores should reflect it. Then if a skater in the final flight did poorly and their scores reflected it, they could end up below the skater from the second to last group.

That is, providing the judges don't judge only within the flights, which they are going to be more prone to do. By the time the last flight skates, they'll have time to forget a particularly outstanding skate from the previous flight.

Stupid, stupid idea. It might get more of a TV audience for CTV, but that's the only benefit.

Each field has their its mood and that mood will be broken. The audience won't be able to enjoy the progression of the field and will also be likely to forget earlier performances that might break top top. It will just be really confusing.

And many people who aren't going to the whole competition will choose only to go the evening event rather than one event. Especially people who want to attend just one night on the week-end and don't want to sit in the arena all day long.

This could mean a loss of ticket sales to Skate Canada and near empty arena for the earlier skaters, which won't boost their morale.

Plus, skaters aren't sure what flight they are going to be in for the free won't be able to plan their competition and effectively. If you think you are going to skate in the evening but you have a bad SP and have to skate in the afternoon - or vice versa - it could really muck up your head-space and competition strategy.

I find it very hard to be the Slipchuck et al are so stupid as to think this is actually a good idea. My hunch is that CTV probably forced them into it.

skategal
11-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Oh dear....I was planning to go and attend some of the events...I was hoping to catch the dance finals in the afternoon on Saturday or Sunday. But with a 'velcro' 15 month old and almost all the finals late Saturday night....I don't know if I can swing it now.

Another vote for worst idea ever...

luckiest1
11-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow. There are no words. So glad I'm not going this year.

pat c
11-19-2011, 03:33 PM
This will be a pita. I was thinking about attending, not now.

sequins
11-20-2011, 09:28 PM
What in thee f&*# is this load of crap! Sorry but CTV, Skate Canada and whoever else is responsible for this catastrophe can stick it if they're gonna do this. As everyone has already stated. Isn't it suppose to be all about what's best for the skaters and the fans and the sport in general. This load of manure isn't good for any of these things most importantly the fans who BUY THE TICKETS! What about the lower ranked skaters? What message does this send?
'Oh you stink, you're not good enough to skate with the big boys so do your crap now cause no one cares to see it anyways.'
I mean really. I'm so annoyed right now. Can you tell?:) I mean am I really reading this right?

puglover
11-23-2011, 02:02 AM
I agree - bring back CBC and PJ. This year has been terrible so far.

lurvylurker
11-23-2011, 02:51 AM
I agree with everything that's been said so far - what a DUMB idea.