PDA

View Full Version : CTV, TSN to broadcast skating again in Canada!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Proustable
06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
One of my favourite moments at the Olympics was Rod's elation during/after Kim skated. And that "holy wow that was awesome" tone after V/M nailed their OD.

pat c
06-01-2011, 02:22 PM
It was Gorsha and Sur for me.

To this day I always have to think about this one. :rolleyes:

Andora
06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Hasn't Debbie done some regular Skate Buzz commentary? Anyone who misses her, if you get a chance to attend a competition, it would be worth picking up the mini radio, maybe? I liked Debbie a touch less than Barb, but I enjoyed her Ice Time show when I'd catch it. Talk about biased, mind you, but a great chance to see old Kurt or B&K vids.

I remember when a huge airplane had an emergency landing off the 401 back in '04 or '05. Debbie had been driving by it, and called in to CTV, reporting what she saw until they got a unit there. Sounded very professional vs. some other johnny on the spot interview.

It was Gorsha and Sur for me.

Hell, Victor Kratz called D&W Meryl & Davis during the Olympics at one point.

Japanfan
06-02-2011, 03:13 AM
I won't be missing PJ. While I'm sure she's a lovely person, she's no commentator. There are people who can transistion after a year or two of working out the bugs/getting used to things, but PJ never really did get there IMO. I mean, after what? Five years now? And she's still doing these loooooong pauses in her sentences during her commentating? That should have disappeared after two years on the job.

Yes, she's informative, but you combine that w/the fact she never really gives any emotion into her voice and I know I'm in minority, but I won't be missing her.

To be fair, commentating for live stream is a bit different than commentating for a network. PJ puts in a lot more hours than network commentators and her commentary is less structured because she has more time. I find her very knowledgeable and don't begrudge her long pauses.

Pratfall
06-02-2011, 06:57 AM
I don't have a problem with livestream being different . I always enjoyed PJ's pared down coverage. It let you concentrate on the skating, let you hear the music ( mostly),gave helpful technical information , and bonus ! no fluff pieces.

It was when CBC started to try to make her more like a regular commentator that I started liking her less. Then at Canadians , I thought it was pretty pathetic that she seemed to be going out of her way to refute critiques that had been levelled at L/R skaters on discussion boards,on fashion blogs, etc. It was as if she had a check list of things to counter and tried to get Josee to agree, or at least play along ...kind of sad, really.

Dragonlady
06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
The earliest sport commentators came over from radio and in radio there can be no "dead air time" in radio, so these guys talked incessantly. They also had to paint a verbal picture for their audience who couldn't see what was going on. These early radio guys set the standard for PBP in all sports which, unfortunately, continues to this day. We don't need people to paint a verbal picture for us because we can SEE the picture. In figure skating, where the athletes are performing to music, the last thing we need is for someone to talk over the music and disrupt the performance.

The very thing I appreciate about PJ's commentary is that she doesn't talk incessantly and only speaks when there is something to say, keeping her comments to the minimum. Of course I prefer live events where there are no commentators. I don't need someone to tell me what jump was done or whether it was done well or not. YMMV.

lise
06-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I like PJ but when she has guest commentators, i had to tune out. Canadians with Josee was painful. I do really enjoy Tracy Wilson so I hope they keep her.

i would love if Jennifer Robinson would commentate; she had her own show at one point but with her new baby and her duties as a councilor, she may not have the time.

pat c
06-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I liked PJ. I hate endless chatter to fill in the blanks, and I don't care what say for instance Elvis's vision of skating was, or what Patrick had for breakfast. Just carry the skating and point out relevant moves, deductions etc.

kwanfan1818
06-03-2011, 12:41 AM
I liked PJ. I hate endless chatter to fill in the blanks, and I don't care what say for instance Elvis's vision of skating was, or what Patrick had for breakfast. Just carry the skating and point out relevant moves, deductions etc.
I agree. My recording of the Bold coverage for the SD went into error mode 1 minute into the broadcast, and I didn't see this in time to get the encore. When I went to edit the CBC hour-long coverage, I was taken aback by how loud and frantic it was, and I like Tracy Wilson. It's like the difference between going to a hockey or basketball game in the 60's and 70's and hearing the organ lead the crowd vs. the amplified non-stop noise assault in arenas since.

shutterbug
11-19-2011, 01:38 AM
New TV format to be unveiled at Canadian championships (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/new-tv-format-to-be-unveiled-at-canadian-championships/article2241285/)

Skate Canada will condense all the action of three senior disciplines into one show on Saturday night that will allow the CTV network to show the final groups only from the women’s, ice dancing and pairs events.

The lower-ranked groups of skaters will compete during the afternoon, but will not be shown on television. And those who pay to watch them will not know who won the event until the evening.

Not a fan of this idea at all.

kwanfan1818
11-19-2011, 01:42 AM
Ugh, sucks.

DFJ
11-19-2011, 01:44 AM
This has been an awful year for coverage. Bring back PJ and CBC please.

Anemone
11-19-2011, 02:20 AM
New TV format to be unveiled at Canadian championships (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/new-tv-format-to-be-unveiled-at-canadian-championships/article2241285/)

Not a fan of this idea at all.

Yuck! I'll agree with the above poster - I'd like CBCs full event-all skater coverage with PJ back.

blue_idealist
11-19-2011, 02:27 AM
So the people who finish in the top in the short program will compete at night, while everyone who didn't finish in the top in the SP, and therefore isn't in the final group, will compete earlier, then the scores will be compared? It's almost like comparing scores over two different comps, and all for tv ratings. This is stupid! One of the main points of competition is to have the competitors all compete at relatively the same time, at the same place, to ensure a level playing field! Geez.

Dave of the North
11-19-2011, 02:42 AM
So the people who finish in the top in the short program will compete at night, while everyone who didn't finish in the top in the SP, and therefore isn't in the final group, will compete earlier, then the scores will be compared? It's almost like comparing scores over two different comps, and all for tv ratings. This is stupid! One of the main points of competition is to have the competitors all compete at relatively the same time, at the same place, to ensure a level playing field! Geez.

Will they still have 18 (women), 15 (dance), and 12 (pairs) competing in the free. It's gonna be a long day...

ETA - Yep, all of them plus the men's SP. 10:30 AM to 11 PM. Oh, my aching butt...:lol:

Schedule - PDF (http://www.skatecanada.ca/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=B1dy_py5VvU%3d&tabid=6745&language=en-US)