PDA

View Full Version : CTV, TSN to broadcast skating again in Canada!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Erin
05-30-2011, 05:02 AM
IMO the best "network guy" was Chris Cuthbert at CBC. He did his homework, and was always professional. He respected the sport of figure skating, and never talked through his hat, like Black often does.

Cuthbert was fantastic - the best part about him was that he was generally quiet during the programs. He'd ask good questions before and after the programs, but would generally say very little during. It was like heaven. Given that he now works for TSN, it would be great if they'd asign him to skating, but I'm not holding my breath, as I'm sure it will be Rod Black. The upside of Black is that while he may have a lot of truly gagworthy expressions, it's obvious that he truly loves and respects skating. I can forgive a lot from someone that likes the sport that much.

overedge
05-30-2011, 06:07 AM
I can forgive a lot from someone that likes the sport that much.

If he likes the sport that much, he should show that by being respectful of it when he's commentating. I will be very happy if I never have to hear "30 SECONDS TO GO!!!!!" or "QUAD!!!!!" or "THE NEXT ONE!!!!" or babbling throughout the program ever again.

clarie
05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I'll really miss PJ's commentary. I appreciated the fact that it was low key, informative, positive, and she is very knowledgable. There was no yelling or ranting. I like the fact that she had something positive to say about all the skaters even the ones who are not the greatest. I also feel that she made an effort to be unbiased in her dialogue. I will miss her if CTV doesn't pick her up for themselves. :(

algonquin
05-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Cuthbert was fantastic - the best part about him was that he was generally quiet during the programs. He'd ask good questions before and after the programs, but would generally say very little during. It was like heaven. Given that he now works for TSN, it would be great if they'd asign him to skating, but I'm not holding my breath, as I'm sure it will be Rod Black. Cuthbert does NHL play by play, I doubt that he would be moved from that.

Editted to add: Does it say anywhere that CTV has the rights to Worlds? I read that the have the rights for Skate Canada and Canadians.

victorskid
05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Does it say anywhere that CTV has the rights to Worlds? I read that the have the rights for Skate Canada and Canadians.

No, there is no mention of anything other than "domestic" events.

Stay tuned....

puglover
05-31-2011, 02:48 AM
I, for one, will be just gutted if we lose PJ. I agree with Claire, she is informative without being intrusive and has so many wonderful things to say about each skater. On the rare occasion she will give slight constructive criticism but always with the opening "As for me.....and I find those interesting. I love Tracy Wilson and think she is "simply the best". I would love to hear more from her - but on second thought - I would love to just have the chance to run around in her brain for ten minutes unrestricted. I love Kurt's skating and I also like his commentating. I find him to know so much and so many fine details that I feel I learn a lot from what he has to say. I was not impressed with the CTV Olympic crew and thought David Pelletier was fine and I did especially like him at SKate Canada with PJ. I hope this is not signs of a very disappointing year or more!

minuet
05-31-2011, 03:09 AM
It was stated at the AGM that Skate Canada had accepted numerous proposals for coverage and this is the one that was best. They were adamant that they were aware how people liked full event coverage and that this would not be diminished. There is also the bonus of getting primetime coverage which CBC cannot provide.

Commentators will be up to CTV/TSN to hire. I would count on Rod Black being back as he was the host for the gala dinner.

walei
05-31-2011, 03:47 AM
:lol:

"Tonight, it's QUAD CITY"

oh Rod...

TheIronLady
05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
What station is old Debbi Willkes on? Please enlighten a yank.

pat c
05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Debbi Wilkes used to commentate for CTV, but she now works for Skate Canada as Director of Business Development.

Dave of the North
05-31-2011, 02:06 PM
What station is old Debbi Willkes on? Please enlighten a yank.

Debbi Wilkes used to do skating commentary on CTV

AragornElessar
05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
As much as I'd love to have her back in the Commentator seat, we're not getting Debbi back. As she's now Skate Canada's Director of Business Development, it would be a conflict of interest, so sadly not to happen.

I won't be missing PJ. While I'm sure she's a lovely person, she's no commentator. There are people who can transistion after a year or two of working out the bugs/getting used to things, but PJ never really did get there IMO. I mean, after what? Five years now? And she's still doing these loooooong pauses in her sentences during her commentating? That should have disappeared after two years on the job.

Yes, she's informative, but you combine that w/the fact she never really gives any emotion into her voice and I know I'm in minority, but I won't be missing her.

I too wish Chris Cuthbert could do the Skating coverage for CTV. He really was the best of the Network sports guys who got picked to be their Skating guy. He's TSN's Hockey guy, so that's not happening, but it would have been lovely. You could tell he really did enjoy skating and gave it the respect it deserved as well, but almost never gets from the Network people that get picked for that job.

I don't doubt Rod loves Skating, as it just beams out of him during a broadcast. It's just...Well...It's already been said to death by others in the thread, so why repeat what's been already said. ;)

But...Haven't seen this one yet and it's my favourite of the Rod-isms over the years....

During coverage of 98 Worlds (I think...It was either 98 or 99 Worlds) and the Free Dance...

And when we come back for the break, we'll have Polivas and Vanagas

Sorry for the mis spelling of his name, as it's been awhile since I've had to type it in a post. For those who are new skating fans and aren't aware...That's one person.

Sigh...Guess I'll have to find a bucket to fill w/sponges for Skate Canada and Canadians coverage so I can throw something at the TV w/out hurting it...

Proustable
06-01-2011, 01:47 AM
Aragorn, you have no idea how often I refered to the team of Povilas/Vanagas.

Parsley Sage
06-01-2011, 03:07 AM
Aragorn, you have no idea how often I refered to the team of Povilas/Vanagas.

It was Gorsha and Sur for me.

victoriajh
06-01-2011, 07:10 AM
rod does not love sakting he loves elvis ( and now patrick) as long as he varies his fave phrases a little i can live
debbie was also involved (minimally) on skatebuzz- which was awesome! i loved th format of being able to text in and such- and the full event coverage even if they did not man the camera for teh practices and some lower skaters!!
i wonder how ctv will handle providing full event coverage ( i will be annoyed if it is some additonal channel tht i dont get!!!)