PDA

View Full Version : CTV, TSN to broadcast skating again in Canada!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

bibi24
05-26-2011, 04:05 AM
Coming back to Barb Underhill, though...I really enjoyed her commentary for CBC - professional, informative, good insights. I would enjoy hearing from her again.

Barb was devastated when they didn't renew her commentator contract.... then she had to look for career opportunities elsewhere. Is she still teaching skating to NHL hockey players? Wonder if she has kept up with figure skating news, but I am sure she can pick it up in a short time.

Andora
05-26-2011, 04:55 AM
:cheer: Rod Black! His excitement for the sport was infectious back in the day. And I like him much better than CBC's non-skating commentator, whoever that is. I'll miss PJ, though I hope they nab Tracy Wilson to join Rob in the booth. She is fantastic and they made a decent team back when.

The way we watch skating around the world has changed a lot since CTV last had these events so there is every possibility they will have a different approach now too.

This, exactly. I'm not sure how it will all go, but I'm sure CTV has taken how skating viewing has changed into consideration.

If TSN2 is used a lot, I'll have to shift my cable package around to accomodate it. Damn it. :P

kwanfan1818
05-26-2011, 05:00 AM
Does this mean no Skatebuzz or Skatebuzz-like coverage, showing the whole feed and leaving in archives to re-watch?

screech
05-26-2011, 05:22 AM
I always adored Rod and his dorky love of the sport. As for experts, Tracy was always brilliant, but I also think that Jeff Buttle would do a spectacular job as a commentator, and hope they consider him.

bibi24
05-26-2011, 05:45 AM
I also think that Jeff Buttle would do a spectacular job as a commentator, and hope they consider him.

for sure he gave great insights during the 2010 Olympics :)

geoskate
05-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Does this mean no Skatebuzz or Skatebuzz-like coverage, showing the whole feed and leaving in archives to re-watch?

That was my exact question, although they should still be doing Junior Canadians, I think. There shouldn't be a conflict with CTV there.

Overall, I'm not happy. I can't see CTV et al matching what Bold, in particular, has done.

Potentially getting Barb Underhill back would be a positive. At least we'd know from her predictions who is going to be Olympic champion or a world champion three or four years before it happens. She was uncanny in her ability to see innate ability early on in a career.

Pratfall
05-26-2011, 06:06 AM
:confused:Mixed bag , I guess.. I agree Victor seemed lost..David is always excellent..Jennifer Robinson seemed dry and maybe a bit pompous..Liz Manley was fun, but a bit of a loose cannon. Oh , Please, Lord ,not Elvis !

I used to love it when Deb ( and to a lesser degree, Tracey ) would give Rod the cold, silent pause after he'd said something really dumb.:lol: But I doubt we'd get Deb, considering her position with Skate Canada.

I'll now be checking Skatebuzz periodically for news..During the Skatebuzz coverage of Canadian Jr.s., Deb was saying that they were looking to expand Skatebuzz' coverage and had lots of ideas on ways to expand skating coverage, with the goal of expanding viewership and growing the sport...and that the response to Skatebuzz had been so overwhelmingly positive, they felt very encouraged. She couldn't say more at the time, but said to expect some exciting developments in future. Considering her part in developing Skatebuzz and her former connection with CTV, may be we can expect some nice dovetailing.

It didn't work out too badly before , when CBC and CTV had split coverage , and I can't imagine CTV wouldn't have some kind of expanded coverage a la Bold , given it's success.

I liked PJ much better earlier on when she just gave helpful technical commentary.Now that she's become more of a personality.. I don't like her quite as well . If she has someone else on with her she's a little too prone to direct or lead them , like she's trying to put words in their mouths.

victoriajh
05-26-2011, 06:13 AM

oh I HOPE so!!!!! i love skatebuzz both on line and in the arena!! and i think poeple are dreaming to think that tsn and ctv will show any length of the comp- we will get highlights with tht top canadians and maybe the last flight if we are lucky-

venja
05-26-2011, 08:29 AM
As long as they have online coverage like CBC does, I'll be one happy camper.

I like Rod Black way better than Scott Russell (makes my blood boil when he talks during performances).

kwanfan1818
05-26-2011, 09:24 AM
I like Rod Black way better than Scott Russell (makes my blood boil when he talks during performances).
Scott Russell, meh. Before the CBC broadcast, he stood in front of the Bolshoi Theatre, which is nearing the end of reconstruction, and said that it was home to the "world's greatest ballet company" and that all of the worlds greatest dancers, including Baryshnikov and Nureyev, danced there.

While Baryshnikov and Nureyev might have danced on the stage as guest artists or part of galas, Baryshnikov and Nureyev danced for the Kirov Ballet in St. Petersburg, not the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow. When critics speak of a Russian company being the worlds greatest ballet company, they usually mean the Kirov (now again called the Mariinsky) Ballet, not the Bolshoi.

And even if he didn't write the script, he seems to have no clue that it's wrong.

minuet
05-26-2011, 11:04 AM
The Olympic commentators were only under contract for the Olympics so they are not required to bring them back.
There's actually no reason they couldn't get Tracy under a contract again as a freelancer leaving her available for worlds as well.

I can't imagine Skate Canada would have gone for this team if live feeds weren't going to be an option. There are 3 networks available to get it out there.

This is probably not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

flowerpower
05-26-2011, 01:06 PM
I liked PJ much better earlier on when she just gave helpful technical commentary.Now that she's become more of a personality.. I don't like her quite as well . If she has someone else on with her she's a little too prone to direct or lead them , like she's trying to put words in their mouths.

That was very noticeable when she hosted with Josee Chouinard. But on her own she does a nice job.

Pratfall
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Exactly, flowerpower . I'm glad others noticed.The dance event was particularly weird.

On another front ,going back to the last time CTV and TSN had regular coverage.. Dave Randorf did the best backstage interviews.

manhn
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Paris Hilton and Mel Gibson could do commentary. I just want complete coverage!

American Idol, CSI, Law and Order, Dancing With the Stars, Gray's Anatomy-whatever the show, they will always take precedence.

TSN2 gives me some hope, but as per any regular sports channel, what happens if the random basketball/soccer/hockey/football/baseball game goes into overtime? We will miss the early groups til the game completes. With BOLD, you never had that concern.

algonquin
05-26-2011, 06:15 PM
My guess is that CBC will have Worlds, 4CC's and the GPF and PJ too.Wasn't that the case about 10 years ago? CTV had the Skate Canada broadcast rights and the CBC had the ISU broadcasts. I hope that CTV does not bring back their Olympic team. From my understanding, Tracy Wilson is freelance, they should sign her and bring in Jeff Buttle, he understands COP.

Edit to add: I hope that CTV/TSN folks start reading this board.