PDA

View Full Version : Parents Keep Child's Gender A Secret Following Birth (and other incredulous stuff)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

my little pony
01-27-2012, 08:41 PM
I
It's one thing to push children into doing things that the parent wanted for themself or that the parent thinks would be good for the child (when the child does NOT want to do it). It's another thing to discuss an issue in the hopes that the discussion will make the world a better place for your child.

since the child is not old enough to consent, and since the child's life could also be made harder by the notoriety, i still say the parents are fame whores and this is about them not the child.

Dragonlady
01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I worry more about their older boy who was being ridiculed because he likes to wear sparkly clothes and seems to be somewhat effeminate and his parents have really encouraged him in that regard. While I applaud the parents acceptance of their child because too often boys who aren't very macho or interested in sports aren't well accepted by either their parents or their peers, this seemed almost a perverse desire to foist the boy directly into the gender debate in ways that are guaranteed to cause him grief iin the schoolyard.

PeterG
01-28-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't understand the finger-pointing at the oppressed rather than the oppressor. :confused:

Japanfan
01-28-2012, 03:02 AM
since the child is not old enough to consent, and since the child's life could also be made harder by the notoriety, i still say the parents are fame whores and this is about them not the child.

The parents have given a few interviews and are far from famous. And I don't see how the interviews harmed the child in any way whatsoever.

The problems of gendering children are so well-known and well-documented that it's bizarre to see people jumping to its defense in the name of tradition.

As has been pointed out, the parents wanted the child to be fee of the typical layers of gendering that are generally heaped upon children. That's gender, not sex.

my little pony
01-28-2012, 03:06 AM
it doesnt matter what we think, we will never meet them. but i am sure many if not most people who have kids in that school have seen their interviews or heard about them. i am not sure how these interviews aid their pursuit of a gender neutral existence

MacMadame
01-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Not necessarily. Have the Duggars been doing what is in the best interests of their oldest girls or what is in their own best interests? Are the parents who are raising completely undisciplined kids causing those kids future harm?
A lot of people seem to think the Duggars are good parents who do keep their children's well-being in mind. I can't really comment as I've never seen their show.

As for the "completely undisciplined" kids, that's another issue entirely...

That's because we assign gender roles, not because we let people know our baby is a son & not a daughter.
But if they don't know what gender our kids are, they can't assign gender roles. That's kind of the whole point of what these parents are trying to do.

i am not sure how these interviews aid their pursuit of a gender neutral existence
I don't see how they hurt it and I think if you are trying to change the world, giving interviews is a natural thing to do as it spreads your message.

Southpaw
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I guess this is another of those those "Wait and See" situations. Remember when Michael Jackson was parading his kids around with those masks on and all sorts of hell broke loose about how he was going to cause them all sorts of damage with identity issues? But whenever I see those kids today I'm struck by how utterly NORMAL they seem. Granted, they're still relatively uncooked and have some time to go before soup's on and there's still plenty of time for the crazy to possibly set in, and of course you can't really get a handle on a kid's mental/emotional state just by a few pictures, but look at his daughter Paris here. She looks just like any high school girl on a softball team. She looks completely confident in her personal identity to me. Something appears to be going right with these kids, despite their circus-like upbringing.

Paris Jackson Plays Softball (http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/michael-jackson-daughter-paris-plays-softball-203950369.html)

agalisgv
01-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Paris Jackson Plays Softball (http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/michael-jackson-daughter-paris-plays-softball-203950369.html) She has a really poor stance in the batter's box. Just had to add that :shuffle:

Southpaw
01-28-2012, 06:29 PM
She has a really poor stance in the batter's box. Just had to add that :shuffle:

Yeah, she needs to work on that. :lol:

Dragonlady
01-30-2012, 05:29 AM
it doesnt matter what we think, we will never meet them. but i am sure many if not most people who have kids in that school have seen their interviews or heard about them. i am not sure how these interviews aid their pursuit of a gender neutral existence

Well you may never meet them. They live in Goth Child's neighbourhood and they have a number of friends in common so I may run into them some day.

MacMadame
01-30-2012, 06:12 PM
If you do, please report back!

(But I thought they were from the UK so now I'm confused.)

milanessa
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
(But I thought they were from the UK so now I'm confused.)

Nope. According to the originally linked article -

The only people who know are Storm’s brothers, Jazz, 5, and Kio, 2, a close family friend and the two midwives who helped deliver the baby in a birthing pool at their Toronto home on New Year’s Day.

MacMadame
01-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Maybe there's another family from the UK that is also doing something unusual that I've confused them with...

Lorac
01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Maybe there's another family from the UK that is also doing something unusual that I've confused them with...

PeterG posted a video link in post 220 of this thread that showed a couple in the UK who had a 5 year old boy - Sasha - that had been brought up as gender free but that they had to reveal his gender once he started going to school. The original couple in the thread whose child is named Storm are from Toronto and I believe that child is not yet of school age.

TygerTyger
01-31-2012, 08:35 AM
I am totally sympathetic to the parents point re:gender.
I have two little guys under a year - and, *at least* once a week some random moron takes it upon themselves to help my "socialize" my guys. I may just have to kill my MIL before they reach preschool. My father is on the other coast. This is not an accident.
I buy toys that are as gender neutral as possible. I don't buy clothing with skulls, footballs, etc. When they are old enough, they can choose their own toys and clothing - within reason (No Barbies, no sequins)
HOWEVER: Children can be very cruel, and I consider it my duty as a parent to make sure that when my guys are 12, they other kids can't google our family name, and find articles about how, as four year-olds, they liked to dress up as princesses.