PDA

View Full Version : Parents Keep Child's Gender A Secret Following Birth (and other incredulous stuff)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

MacMadame
01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
From the picture that day the kid was wearing the girl's top and the boy's pants.

That's crazy! (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

PeterG
01-24-2012, 11:26 PM
:rolleyes: They send the kid to school dressed 1/2 in the boys uniform and 1/2 in the girls uniform. I hope that kid has a high capacity to deal with being different.

Interesting. My hope is that parents these days are raising their children to be inquisitive and kind towards anyone with any kind of difference (rather than ridiculing people for those differences).

:confused: Since I can't hear the video linked above, do you mean that the child is wearing some clothes that are the boys uniform and others that are the girls or that they alternate days of wearing boys or girls uniforms? :confused: It sounds totally ridiculous

Do you feel other groups should have what they wear dictated to them? Or only specific groups?

I suppose either boys or girls bathroom would be OK, whichever the child happened to want to use at the time? :slinkaway

Interesting point. Why are there gender-specific bathrooms in schools but not homes? I've seen some public places which have two bathrooms - private bathroom #1 and private bathroom #2 (instead of one being the "mens room" and the other the "ladies room").

At that age I was so shy and obsessed with not standing out in a crowd that putting me a different reading class from the others was stressful and upsetting. I hated school and left in tears every day.

This statement makes me wonder how much of what is being said about this family is really about this family - and instead about people's own (unresolved?) issues.

skatingfan5
01-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Interesting point. Why are there gender-specific bathrooms in schools but not homes? I've seen some public places which have two bathrooms - private bathroom #1 and private bathroom #2 (instead of one being the "mens room" and the other the "ladies room").In most schools the bathrooms are communal, not private, at least that is my experience here in the U.S. I for one would not care to share a bathroom with a bunch of men using urinals -- call me squeamish, if you like. If they are private restrooms, then it doesn't matter to me. I have often worked in places with "unisex" restrooms which were private.

skatesindreams
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM
If this "gender neutrality" has been confusing for Sasha, I hope that he is able to let his parents know it,; and that the parents will respect that. and act appropriately.

reckless
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Did anyone listen to the commentary on the link. Dr. Keith Ablow says it's worse than physically abusing a child and Sasha should have been taken from the parents. :rolleyes:

Of course, he's also the one who wrote that Newt Gingrich's multiple marriages and adultery prove he might make a strong President. He also rejects claims that burning coal contrbiutes to asthma.

I think Media Matters has a special section devoted to some of Ablow's inane statements.

gkelly
01-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Of course, he's also the one who wrote that Newt Gingrich's multiple marriages and adultery prove he might make a strong President.

What was the reasoning there? He is able to satisfying multiple constituents with competing claims? . . .

reckless
01-25-2012, 05:37 AM
What was the reasoning there? He is able to satisfying multiple constituents with competing claims? . . .

This was discussed in PI, but I'll just provide the link (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/20/newt-gingrichs-three-marriages-mean-might-make-strong-president-really/). Any discussion should probably be in the PI thread.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Ablow also thought that a J. Crew ad where a boy's toenails were painted pink were damaging and a threat to traditional gender norms which he feels are essential to society. I personally wouldn't take much stock in what he says regarding gender.

Vash01
01-25-2012, 06:56 AM
My concern for the kids is their lack of any kind of social skills. How will Storm know whether to go to mens room or ladies room when he/she is outside? I assume the parents will direct him/her to the correct rest room, so it won't be long before Storm discovers his/her gender. All that would work fine if the family lived on an island where rest of the society had the same values. It does not sound like that is the case, which would cause the kids a lot of problems- a lot more than by knowing their gender would.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-25-2012, 07:03 AM
I don't think it was ever the case that Storm was ignorant of his gender.

PeterG
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Ablow also thought that a J. Crew ad where a boy's toenails were painted pink were damaging and a threat to traditional gender norms which he feels are essential to society.

Luckily society did not collapse after that advertisement. Whew!

My concern for the kids is their lack of any kind of social skills. How will Storm know whether to go to mens room or ladies room when he/she is outside?

:eek: Some parents let their children under five years of age go to washrooms on their own??

Vash01
01-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Luckily society did not collapse after that advertisement. Whew!

:eek: Some parents let their children under five years of age go to washrooms on their own??

You only had to read my next sentence before typing this.

genevieve
01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
My concern for the kids is their lack of any kind of social skills. How will Storm know whether to go to mens room or ladies room when he/she is outside? I assume the parents will direct him/her to the correct rest room, so it won't be long before Storm discovers his/her gender. All that would work fine if the family lived on an island where rest of the society had the same values. It does not sound like that is the case, which would cause the kids a lot of problems- a lot more than by knowing their gender would.

this is nothing but fearmongering, transposing one's own fears about encountering someone outside of accepted gender norms onto that person. How does gender ambiguity translate into a "lack of any kind of social skills"?? :rofl:

I'm fairly certain that this kid knows about gender and how the way his family values gender neutrality is different than the rest of society.

Japanfan
01-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Did anyone listen to the commentary on the link. Dr. Keith Ablow says it's worse than physically abusing a child and Sasha should have been taken from the parents. :rolleyes:

Yes, and my immediate thought was that he was very scary - I sure wouldn't send my child to him for therapy

Of course, he's also the one who wrote that Newt Gingrich's multiple marriages and adultery prove he might make a strong President. He also rejects claims that burning coal contrbiutes to asthma.

I think Media Matters has a special section devoted to some of Ablow's inane statements.

Just confirms my initial impression.

Dragonlady
01-26-2012, 04:21 PM
My 6 year old grandson has waist-length pale blond hair and bright blue eyes. He has a large head, a masculine face and he doesn’t dress in girl’s clothes or give the appearance of being a girl, other than the waist-length hair. He wears his hair loose and won’t tie it back in a pony tail because that would be girlish, in Jack’s eyes. I can’t tell you how many people think Jack is a girl, simply based on his long blond hair.