PDA

View Full Version : Parents Keep Child's Gender A Secret Following Birth (and other incredulous stuff)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

MacMadame
06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Anyhow, I was a bit surprised since their experiences in school today are a far cry from what I remember.
Well, when I was in Jr. High, we weren't allowed to wear pants to school. During the winter when it was very cold, we could wear them to school but had to take them off once we got there. It was considered very revolutionary when, during my last year in the school district, they changed the rule to allow women to wear pants.

But my kids' experience is a lot like yours. My son wears pink a lot including a fedora with pink pin stripes that he wears any time he has to wear a suit. He's quite proud of that hat and, if anyone gives him a hard time, he tells them pink is a very manly color. My daughter asked for permission to go on a date with a girl a few months ago as well. (I told her that our dating rules hadn't changed -- no solo dates until she's 16 -- no matter what gender her date was. :lol:)

Breasts are not genitals, neither are buttocks. I thought that miniskirts were all about displaying the legs, not crotch.
Breasts and buttocks have been sexualized in our culture. Definitely showing cleavage is considered dressing in a sexy manner. So is wearing a short skirt that barely covers the buttocks and/or crotch.

PeterG
06-16-2011, 10:13 PM
On the cover of our local newspaper, there is a story entitled "Students given Cinderella-style grad". The accompanying picture shows four young women in their grad dresses in front of a horse-drawn carriage which is a large white metal-framed, pumpkin-shaped carriage.

I find it interesting that in 2011, we still have females who want to be "princesses" whereas I never see anything similar about males wanting to be "princes".

BigB08822
06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
And the women wonder why they never found their Prince Charming...lol

Andora
06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Breasts and buttocks have been sexualized in our culture. Definitely showing cleavage is considered dressing in a sexy manner. So is wearing a short skirt that barely covers the buttocks and/or crotch.

This, exactly. I think many women are so used to dressing a certain way, and many of us enjoy it, that we don't think of where it originated. I don't wear high-cut tops often-- they look horrible on me. Same for long skirts (if I wear a skirt). I wear what I like, and what looks good. However, I can't pretend it has nothing to do with sexism, or isn't based on what men like to see. A lot of "sexy" styles for women are, even if it's a style that many women like.

I'm not sure what should be done about it, though.

gkelly
06-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I find it interesting that in 2011, we still have females who want to be "princesses" whereas I never see anything similar about males wanting to be "princes".

Do you remember this (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=26708)?

During the summer of 2001, he proposed to her during a specially planned evening with a Cinderella theme, including a scroll inviting her to the "royal ball" and a gift of a crystal glass slipper. This engagement theme provided motivation for his free skate this year, which is skated to music from the ballet "Cinderella."

Exception that proves the rule?

overedge
06-17-2011, 12:12 AM

But then who is going to ride away in the pumpkin carriage (or the stretch limo) with the princesses? :P

PeterG
06-17-2011, 12:59 AM
But then who is going to ride away in the pumpkin carriage (or the stretch limo) with the princesses? :P

Her 57 cats.

IceAlisa
06-17-2011, 01:18 AM

I know. I was being technical.

jeffisjeff
06-17-2011, 02:28 AM

The mice/coachmen, of course!

My daughter already has plans to change her name to Cinderella once she is old enough. :lol:

PeterG
01-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Couple Reveal Gender Of 5 Year Old Child (http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/video/parenting-22429512/couple-reveals-gender-of-5-year-old-child-27962623.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fparenting-22429512%252Fcouple-reveals-gender-of-5-year-old-child-27962623.html)

Cheylana
01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Not surprised; the kid's face definitely looked masculine to me.

PeterG
01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
See? We just have to KNOW!!! Does the kid have a pee-pee or a vajay-jay? :lol:

mpal2
01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
:rolleyes: They send the kid to school dressed 1/2 in the boys uniform and 1/2 in the girls uniform. I hope that kid has a high capacity to deal with being different. At that age I was so shy and obsessed with not standing out in a crowd that putting me a different reading class from the others was stressful and upsetting. I hated school and left in tears every day.

skatingfan5
01-24-2012, 09:33 PM
:rolleyes: They send the kid to school dressed 1/2 in the boys uniform and 1/2 in the girls uniform. :confused: Since I can't hear the video linked above, do you mean that the child is wearing some clothes that are the boys uniform and others that are the girls or that they alternate days of wearing boys or girls uniforms? :confused: It sounds totally ridiculous -- I suppose either boys or girls bathroom would be OK, whichever the child happened to want to use at the time? :slinkaway

mpal2
01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
From the picture that day the kid was wearing the girl's top and the boy's pants. They didn't say anything about other combinations.