PDA

View Full Version : Popular music acts of today who can read music

Pages : 1 2 [3]

PeterG
05-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I wonder how many artists can actually read anything, be it music, their name, a cereal box?

:cat:

manleywoman
05-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm no fan of Celine Dion, but I have to give the woman her props in the musical skill department. I was watching some program about her years ago, and they said that she was given the sheet music for the Titantic theme song, and then recorded it in just ONE take. Now, we can debate the merits of the song itself back and forth, but I think it's incredible that she basically looked at the sheet music once and was able to interpret it that quickly.

I remember when she had to do it at the Oscars too, with sheet music on stage as a very last-minute stand in (for Streisand I think?). Dion was given the sheet music backstage and was able to go out on stage with it and sing it perfectly.

numbers123
05-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Okay, maybe not guitarists or other instrumentalists, but singers? Like actual singers, not Britney or J.Lo (who I heard is tone deaf). How would they learn the songs they would record? Just by listening to a demo and re-singing it?

I *could* read music, but I needed to hear the music to make sense of what those notes were. By this, I mean I could recognize it was a C sharp or B flat or whatever, knew where the hand placement would be on the flute. But I needed to hear it more than read it. It was better for me to listen than read. So for my senior year in high school, I gave up reading and focused on sound.

So I am not sure that all people need to be able to read the music

Anita18
05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Okay, maybe not guitarists or other instrumentalists, but singers? Like actual singers, not Britney or J.Lo (who I heard is tone deaf). How would they learn the songs they would record? Just by listening to a demo and re-singing it?
It sounds like it would be less bother than finding a piano to play the notes, actually. :P I can't sight-sing and I've been studying piano for years. I have to find a keyboard first and play the notes before I'd be able to sing it.

I'm no fan of Celine Dion, but I have to give the woman her props in the musical skill department. I was watching some program about her years ago, and they said that she was given the sheet music for the Titantic theme song, and then recorded it in just ONE take. Now, we can debate the merits of the song itself back and forth, but I think it's incredible that she basically looked at the sheet music once and was able to interpret it that quickly.

I remember when she had to do it at the Oscars too, with sheet music on stage as a very last-minute stand in (for Streisand I think?). Dion was given the sheet music backstage and was able to go out on stage with it and sing it perfectly.
That's awesome. :respec: Not only to be reading the notes on sight, but to know how to approach it technically. That's what vocal practice usually entails - finding the trouble spots in a piece and figure out how to conquer them.

overedge
05-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Theory is actually pretty easy once you learn the mathematics of it.

I wish :lol:

You don't need to read music to be able to SHRIEEEeeeEEEEEkkKKKKKK :scream: