PDA

View Full Version : DWTS Finale

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Garden Kitty
05-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Yahoo had a very unscientific poll about who deserves to win. As of this morning, it was Chelsea - 13%, Hines 39% and Kirstie 48%. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirstie was winning the popular vote which would explain the "winner take all" gift of 15 points to Chelsea and the lowballing I expect Kirstie will get tonight as well.

It certainly seems like they pick a favorite and I'm not sure why. Are they responding to criticism about Bristol Palin that they want the "best dancer" to win and not to have the show seem to be a popularity contest? Are they promoting the Disney girl? Or am I just wearing a tin foil hat and seeing conspiracies where none exist?

pixie cut
05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Are they responding to criticism about Bristol Palin that they want the "best dancer" to win and not to have the show seem to be a popularity contest? Are they promoting the Disney girl? Or am I just wearing a tin foil hat and seeing conspiracies where none exist?

I think the Chelsea love reeked of conspiracy because her samba was a mumbo jumbo of crowd pleasing moves with very little samba content. The freestyle was mediocre.

Veronika
05-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Just once, I'd love the see the judges pre-ordained favorite lose.

I think you could argue that it happened when Shawn Johnson beat Gilles Marini...

danceronice
05-24-2011, 03:03 PM
In case I forgot to post it or no one's linked it yet, here is the routine Mark flat-out STOLE for Chelsea's samba:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQv8FSi37NA&feature=youtu.be

skaternum
05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I was underwhelmed bv the Free Dances, but I find that to be the case just about every season. After seeing some really creative or well-executed dances throughout the season, I think our expectations are just too high for them. The buildup is exaggerated; we're told that "anything goes" and they'll be spectacular, but they really don't have time to put anything spectacular together. And these are still "just" celebrities, not professional dancers, so ... there will always be limitations to "anything goes."

skatesindreams
05-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Kirstie :wuzrobbed Sadly, even if she and Maks get the audience vote the judges can still skew the win with that last dance tomorrow. Oh, well. She and Maks have been a delight to watch this season. They're the winners as far as I'm concerned.

You spoke for me.
I hope that she continues to dance.

sap5
05-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I was underwhelmed bv the Free Dances, but I find that to be the case just about every season. After seeing some really creative or well-executed dances throughout the season, I think our expectations are just too high for them. The buildup is exaggerated; we're told that "anything goes" and they'll be spectacular, but they really don't have time to put anything spectacular together. And these are still "just" celebrities, not professional dancers, so ... there will always be limitations to "anything goes."

After seeing "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy", I expect a lot from freestyles. Not from a dance perspective, but from a pure entertainment perspective. None of the freestyles last night excited me the way Cheryl and Drew did.

Garden Kitty
05-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Article in USA Today (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110524/ap_en_ot/us_dancing_with_the_stars_kirstie_alley)says that the dress Kirstie wore on the first night needed to be taken in 38 inches for her to wear again on the finale.

Cheylana
05-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Yahoo had a very unscientific poll about who deserves to win. As of this morning, it was Chelsea - 13%, Hines 39% and Kirstie 48%. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirstie was winning the popular vote which would explain the "winner take all" gift of 15 points to Chelsea and the lowballing I expect Kirstie will get tonight as well.
Although I didn't care for Kirstie, her dancing or her crazy-woman schtick this season, I hope the show honors the audience vote and doesn't pull a bunch of scoring shenanigans to finagle the result they want. It's not like Hines and Chelsea are the best.dancers.evah! Plus I'd love to see Maks win a MBT.

Rob
05-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I split votes between Kirstie and Hines.

Me too. First time I voted all year.

And, as danceronice says, here is how you do Hip Hip Chin Chin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgJcPu5Wxrk

ETA: Didn't see it above but different versions are fun to watch.

If you can't do it like that, then I guess you can do it like Lacey and Danny.

I rarely like the freestyle round and tonight was no exception. But Kirstie and Maks took risks at least.

KikiSashaFan
05-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Just watched now. I'm hoping Kirstie (and Maks!) win, especially since it'll piss off TPTB. I'd be okay with Hines and Kym too though. If Mark and Chelsie win I'll be :lynch::huh::soapbox::angryfire because a) Both their dances were way overmarked, especially the freestyle that wasn't even in sync. b) They're both liars since they are not the youngest people in the competition and c) Mark is becoming more annoying and egotistical than Derek ever was. I didn't think that was possible.

skatingfan5
05-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I had a meeting last night (originally scheduled for 7 pm CDT, but I begged them to move it up to 6 "for personal reasons" not named. :D) I still missed Chelsea/Mark's samba, but I was underwhelmed by their freestyle -- and while I liked Kym/Hines' quickstep OK, I didn't think it deserved to be marked higher than the samba of Kirstie/Maks. The "marching band" freestyle was an interesting concept, but I don't think it was really executed very well, esp. the "marching" by Hines. There is no way that deserved 30 points. I like Hines, but really! :rolleyes:

I, too, wish that Maks had been a little more conventional with Kirstie's freestyle rather than give in to the "aerials are a must" belief, but still I liked it despite it being a bit rough around the edges. And major :respec: to Kirstie for losing 38 inches! :eek: And for pointing her toes, foot placement, and dancing with a partner in hold, not just mostly solos side-by-side. Despite it likely being a losing effort in the end, I gave all my votes (5 phone, 5 text, 5 online) to Kirstie/Maks to counter the judges' obvious "scripted scores" with a :P.

I'm hoping that tomorrow night Kirstie actually says, "Brooke honey, I've been hoping you'd catch on these past 10 weeks, but my name is KIRSTIE, not Kristi." Of course, she's too nice to actually do that, but I'd :rofl: if she did.

taf2002
05-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I haven't watched all season at all & have not heard any of the hype or read any reviews but I saw Kirstie on Jay Leno & got curious who is the best. I went to youtube today & watched all 3 freestyles. I would rank them:

Hines
Kirstie
Chelsea

I thought Kirstie was a little rough & Chelsea looked stiff plus her shoulders were up in her ears. Hines looked the most natural & didn't seem to miss a step.

Satellitegirl
05-24-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm hoping Hines wins. I thought they did the best. He's just a likable person, as well.

Veronika
05-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I think Hines will probably win...but ugh, his footwork!