PDA

View Full Version : I'm Finally a Bachelor of the Arts!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Vash01
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Congratulations!

PRlady
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
My nephew just graduated from NYU law and loved it...he's joining a big law firm in LA but I think he has his eye on something beyond that eventually. Just like undergrad, some places are great but not the right fit for you, so inspect carefully.

And congrats!

sbmeagain
06-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Congratulations!!!!!

VIETgrlTerifa
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Thank you everyone!

I'm applying for jobs right now in the meantime and focusing on studying for the LSAT and being active in my volunteer work. I'm hoping the time off will be productive for me.

Rob
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Hey congrats!

On the LSAT, the logic puzzles were my favorite part. Once you learn the tricks, they are fun.

Law school isn't bad at all. It has its rites of passage, but it isn't as stuffy as it is made out to be (depending on the school).

Think about Washington, DC schools too. DC has a lot to offer law students. Some of them have courses where you get credits for interning with judges, agencies, non-profits, on the Hill etc. I worked for a Federal judge and for Amtrak during school, and it made the study of law feel more practical. The contrast between court and corporate was interesting.

BittyBug
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Congratulations! :40beers:

Also, a friend of mine convinced me to go ahead and do it when he told me that I should wear it like Mr. T and "pity the fool" who thinks I'm elitist.Hey - you earned those cords - flaunt them! :respec:

I'm in the corporate world and I never ceased to be amazed by how many people in different (non-counsel) positions I run into who have law degrees. The skills you'll develop - analytical reasoning, cogent writing, discipline, not to mention the ability to understand contracts - would serve you well in any number of professions, so even if you end up not practicing law, I think you'll have many more options available to you with a law degree than without.

Lara
However, I'm also looking at schools from all tiers because I know that if I only look at tier 1 and tier 2 schools, I may end up with nothing but rejection letters. Plus, the biggest factor that I need to consider when I choose a school is financial aid packages. I know I have to take out loans no matter what to live on, but I want to minimize my debt as much as possible.

As someone with major student loans :yikes: I cannot emphasize how important that is, especially if your school isn't tier 1. Good for keeping it in mind. Less debt will also help give you more flexibility in what you choose to practice (ie. not corporate law if it's not what you prefer).

Congratulations and best of luck!!! :cheer2:

skateboy
Congratulations! This is just the beginning, go for it!

Cheylana
06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Congratulations, and good luck with your legal endeavors!!!

I'm going to let the LSAT score sort of dictate where I should shoot. However, my dream school in NYU.
As an alum, I must say, you have great taste in law schools! ;) One thing I loved about NYU is that their career department is very aggressive about helping all its students get jobs. That's important when the economy stinks (although it'll probably be good again by the time you graduate).

Your reasons for going to law school are good. I'd be worried if you said you were going to law school because you don't know what else to do with your life. Far too many college grads do that, and usually end up unhappy.

Btw, I disagree about NYU being very "cut-throat." I'd say it is hard to get into, but once you are in, it is less cut-throat than many other top-tier law schools, although the students naturally are competitive, of course. You'll definitely make friends while of course studying hard. :)

Katoomba
06-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Congratulations on graduating! And best of luck on the LSAT! I don't know that I could recommend law school to someone now, given the state of the legal job market these days, but if you know that this is what you want, the legal profession can be a very good one.

I also agree with Cheylana that NYU is not cutthroat. Columbia, now that's a different story.

Civic
06-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Make sure you investigate any scholarship programs for law school students. One of my friends from college had part of their student loans from law school waived because they went into public interest law back in the late 1980s.