PDA

View Full Version : I'm Finally a Bachelor of the Arts!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

VALuvsMKwan
05-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Many congratulations!

Aussie Willy
05-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Congratulations on your achievement. Excellent.

attyfan
05-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Mazel tov! Enjoy the accomplishment for a bit before studying for the LSAT ... and good luck on that test.

reckless
05-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Congratulations on graduating. That's a wonderful accomplishment.

The LSAT is one of the few standardized tests that you really can study for and improve. Logic games, especially, have a lot of tricks to them and the biggest challenge on those is time. (The best trick I learned was to set up the "set" elements of the puzzle in pen and use pencil for the rest, so I did not have to set up the entire puzzle for each question. I think the LSAT banned pens not long after, but I believe they still allow hi-liters.) Also, don't overlook the writing portion. The one-hour or so essay may seem silly, but I had a professor in law school who considered that one of the most important parts of his evaluation because it showed the ability to write cogently under a time constraint (at my school, the professors reviewed applications).

For law school, think very hard about a few things. First, are you going because you think you'll make a lot of money or because you really are intrigued by and like the law? The answer could say a lot about your happiness in law school and beyond.

Second, investigate schools carefully. NYU is known as a highly cut-throat school. With jobs at the high-paying firms scarce, that has only ratcheted up the stress and competition. It may be nice to live in New York, but would that outweigh the day-to-day environment of the school?

Third, pay attention to what graduates from the school are doing. A lot of law schools sell people on bright futures, but they are unrealistic in this economy and you can wind up with huge debt and little opportunity. I don't know where you graduated, but if you were cum laude at a respectable college or university, don't settle for a tier 3 or most tier 2 law schools. It just isn't worth it in the long run. You might be better off spending a year or two doing an internship and gaining experience that you can sell to a top law school.

I personally loved my three years of law school, but that was because I was not at a school where grades were considered particularly important. There was competition over law journal, jobs and clerkships, and stress around exam periods, but it was nothing like what my friends described at other schools. I had friends leave Harvard because the environment and competition was so unpleasant, whereas, the de-emphasis on grades at my school led to a pretty collegial and supportive environment.

Prancer
05-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Congratulations! Wear those cords with pride and enjoy yourself in law school.

Angelskates
05-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Congratulations! :cheer2:

VIETgrlTerifa
05-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Congratulations on graduating. That's a wonderful accomplishment.

The LSAT is one of the few standardized tests that you really can study for and improve. Logic games, especially, have a lot of tricks to them and the biggest challenge on those is time. (The best trick I learned was to set up the "set" elements of the puzzle in pen and use pencil for the rest, so I did not have to set up the entire puzzle for each question. I think the LSAT banned pens not long after, but I believe they still allow hi-liters.) Also, don't overlook the writing portion. The one-hour or so essay may seem silly, but I had a professor in law school who considered that one of the most important parts of his evaluation because it showed the ability to write cogently under a time constraint (at my school, the professors reviewed applications).

Thanks for the tips. I'm taking a Testmasters course (I got a half off coupon because they visited my school's Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity and they offered those coupons to those who answered a logical reasoning question correctly). My biggest issue is the time-management and I know I need a lot of work on that. They also stressed the essay portion because I was told that there are examples of people doing well on the LSAT but not putting much effort on the essay portion and getting rejected from law schools because of that. I also enjoy writing, so that would most likely be the part I would enjoy the most (that and reading comprehension).

For law school, think very hard about a few things. First, are you going because you think you'll make a lot of money or because you really are intrigued by and like the law? The answer could say a lot about your happiness in law school and beyond.

I know jobs are very scarce right now (almost all of my friends who finished law school are having a hard time finding jobs) and I really am not doing it for the money. I would love to work for the public sector or non-profit and I know that's not where you go for high, glamorous living that is usually perpetuated for lawyers. I also love reading about the law, and I find judicial opinions to be fascinating. Every time there's a controversial law passed (like Arizona's immigration law and now Georgia) or a high-profile case (like the Westboro church v. Snyder), I like to see if my opinions, after reading the facts, are anywhere close to the real outcome.

Second, investigate schools carefully. NYU is known as a highly cut-throat school. With jobs at the high-paying firms scarce, that has only ratcheted up the stress and competition. It may be nice to live in New York, but would that outweigh the day-to-day environment of the school?

You're right about that. I'm going to visit NYU and Brooklyn law in October, so I can see if I even like New York. I have family and friends in NYC so that was one reason why I wanted to go to law school there, but I'm also considering other places as well. I was actually thinking about CUNY as well because they are known for having a diverse student body and their public interest clinics. Also, Ruth Bader Ginsberg gave a testimonial for it, so that caught my eye.

Third, pay attention to what graduates from the school are doing. A lot of law schools sell people on bright futures, but they are unrealistic in this economy and you can wind up with huge debt and little opportunity. I don't know where you graduated, but if you were cum laude at a respectable college or university, don't settle for a tier 3 or most tier 2 law schools. It just isn't worth it in the long run. You might be better off spending a year or two doing an internship and gaining experience that you can sell to a top law school.

IMO, the University of New Orleans is very respectable school and we are known for our academic research (I also think our Poli-Sci dept. is known in the South), but I know that UNO is not quite known as other schools in my area (like Tulane, Loyola, LSU) and it's not a big name school, so I may be suffering from some insecurity over that.

I personally loved my three years of law school, but that was because I was not at a school where grades were considered particularly important. There was competition over law journal, jobs and clerkships, and stress around exam periods, but it was nothing like what my friends described at other schools. I had friends leave Harvard because the environment and competition was so unpleasant, whereas, the de-emphasis on grades at my school led to a pretty collegial and supportive environment.

May I ask where you went to school? It sounds like a great environment.

reckless
05-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm taking a Testmasters course (I got a half off coupon because they visited my school's Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity and they offered those coupons to those who answered a logical reasoning question correctly). My biggest issue is the time-management and I know I need a lot of work on that. They also stressed the essay portion because I was told that there are examples of people doing well on the LSAT but not putting much effort on the essay portion and getting rejected from law schools because of that. I also enjoy writing, so that would most likely be the part I would enjoy the most (that and reading comprehension).
A review course definitely will help, as will just doing a lot of practice questions.

I know jobs are very scarce right now (almost all of my friends who finished law school are having a hard time finding jobs) and I really am not doing it for the money. I would love to work for the public sector or non-profit and I know that's not where you go for high, glamorous living that is usually perpetuated for lawyers. I also love reading about the law, and I find judicial opinions to be fascinating. Every time there's a controversial law passed (like Arizona's immigration law and now Georgia) or a high-profile case (like the Westboro church v. Snyder), I like to see if my opinions, after reading the facts, are anywhere close to the real outcome.
That's good to hear. I will say, based on personal experience, that it is much more difficult to actually go into public interest when you are facing a mountain of debt. I had always thought I would do public interest, and I'm now into my 16th year of private practice, mainly at large firms. Part of that was financial. I also discovered, after working on several law school clinics, the emotional toll a lot of public interest work takes on lawyers. I have all the respect for people who can handle constant life-and-death cases, but it took too much out of me and I could not see doing that for a career.

You're right about that. I'm going to visit NYU and Brooklyn law in October, so I can see if I even like New York. I have family and friends in NYC so that was one reason why I wanted to go to law school there, but I'm also considering other places as well. I was actually thinking about CUNY as well because they are known for having a diverse student body and their public interest clinics. Also, Ruth Bader Ginsberg gave a testimonial for it, so that caught my eye.
CUNY's an interesting school. One of my law school classmates is the dean there. But your options may be limited there.

Something else to keep in mind is where you might want to practice. Some schools have excellent alumni networks that help with post-graduate placements. Others have particularly good reputations in certain cities, but are not well-respected outside of the region.

IMO, the University of New Orleans is very respectable school and we are known for our academic research (I also think our Poli-Sci dept. is known in the South), but I know that UNO is not quite known as other schools in my area (like Tulane, Loyola, LSU) and it's not a big name school, so I may be suffering from some insecurity over that.
I don't know anything about UNO, but your school might be able to provide some information on where past alums have gone to law school. That might give you an idea of how the school is perceived. Bear in mind that very strong grades, good recommendations, and a high LSAT will offset some doubts about a school.

May I ask where you went to school? It sounds like a great environment.I went to Yale in the early 1990s, and it was an amazing experience. The first year is designed to foster collegiality. There are no grades (just pass/fail) in the first semester and your four core courses have one "small group" of about 15 people and three larger classes that combine two to four small groups. As a result, your small group members are in all of your classes. That makes it pretty easy to form study groups and divvy up outlines. The "small group" also is a designated legal research and writing course. I believe some other law schools have similar programs (I think University of Texas for one), but I'm not sure the classes are set up the same way.

overedge
05-22-2011, 08:48 PM
That's excellent!! Congratulations!!

Coco
05-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Congrats!! Don't ruin it with law school, lol :) Work for a lawyer first, or find a few to shadow to make sure that's what you want.

Lanie
05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Congrats! :cheer2:

AragornElessar
05-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Congratulations BA and Good Luck in Law School!!!

VIETgrlTerifa
05-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Congrats!! Don't ruin it with law school, lol :) Work for a lawyer first, or find a few to shadow to make sure that's what you want.

LOL. I had to take a capstone course where we had a different Poli-Sci professor presenting a topic and journal article every week. We were assigned a professor and were responsible to facilitate that particular discussion. One person lucked out because one professor decided to use his week as an opportunity to recruit us for his public administration masters program. I must say that it sounded really tempting.

But I've decided on law school already. When/If I get in, I'll let you guys know how my first semester turns out and you guys can say "I told you so." ;)

Anita18
05-23-2011, 12:48 AM
But I've decided on law school already. When/If I get in, I'll let you guys know how my first semester turns out and you guys can say "I told you so." ;)
I think we're trying to dissuade you because of the dire job market and the crushing debt. :P Most of my friends who graduated law school in the past few years haven't found law-related jobs yet, let alone anything high-paying that would make a significant dent into their loans. The only one who has claims she got her gig because she's fluent in Chinese. If you want to go that route, learning Chinese and heading to the east coast probably isn't a bad idea either. :P

Congrats with the BA and good luck to whatever you choose to do! Even if it is law school. ;)

Civic
05-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Congratulations. This is a very special time in your life. Enjoy it and soak it in. Word of advice. Try hard to stay in touch with your college friends. I let too many of those friendships go by the wayside and I regret it.