PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking forward to the Rapture?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22

skatingfan5
05-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't know that "inspired" is the word I would use. More rather, the Bible, and other religious works including the Koran, have been used by fanatics over the centuries to justify some of the most barbaric acts imaginable. If these religious works had not existed, other excuses would have been found.That is why I wrote "inspired" and not inspired. The Bible and other religious texts have been used as the justification for many cruelties, some on the "small scale" of daily life within families and communities, some over a wide geographic range and time scale. The so-called "fanatics" were/are often supposed holy and wise religious leaders who were acting as "keepers of the faith" and working to spread their "one true religion." I have long rejected the idea/concept that there is any ONE TRUE RELIGION as it seems very intolerant to me. I believe that there may well be ONE TRUE RELIGION for an individual person or group of people, but that whatever that doctrine/religion/deity may be is not necessarily the path to spiritual growth for everyone. Obviously, many others believe otherwise or there wouldn't be proselytizers going around trying to convert others to what they believe to be the ONE TRUE WAY.

jeffisjeff
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Where do you get that? Just because DL didn't add that great works of art also would have existed even in the absence of the Bible?

I don't think that is it at all.

I think the concern is that DL said this:

It opened my eyes as to why the book is so revered and has inspired some of the greatest art and music the world has ever seen.

But then DL rejected the use of the term "inspired" when applied to negative things ("barbaric acts").

I think we now need to devote several pages to debating the meaning of the word "inspired."

Then we can move on to a discussion of whether any good would exist in the world if the Bible did not exist.

;)

Satellitegirl
05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I think we now need to devote several pages to debating the meaning of the word "inspired."

Then we can move on to a discussion of whether any good would exist in the world if the Bible did not exist.

;)

:rofl: yes.

skatingfan5
05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Then we can move on to a discussion of whether any good would exist in the world if the Bible did not exist. ;):lol:

Dragonlady
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
OTOH, it is interesting to not how many people who are prepared to blame all of the ills of the world on religion, but none of the good things that are the result of faith.

And not one person here has mentioned tribalism/nationalism, greed or racism as a contributing factor.

skatingfan5
05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
OTOH, it is interesting to not how many people who are prepared to blame all of the ills of the world on religion, but none of the good things that are the result of faith.:confused: Who is blaming all the ills of the world on religion? Seriously, who is doing this?

jeffisjeff
05-25-2011, 08:47 PM
OTOH, it is interesting to not how many people who are prepared to blame all of the ills of the world on religion, but none of the good things that are the result of faith.

And not one person here has mentioned tribalism/nationalism, greed or racism as a contributing factor.

Psst ... that is probably because we aren't even discussing what causes the ills of the world... we're too busy making fun of the Rapture... but I'll add that topic to my list, so we should get there in 20 pages or so.

BigB08822
05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
So I had a thought. I should have sold Rapture insurance. $10 means I will come take care of your pets or any children (evil heathens, obviously) left behind after you ascend to Heaven. It would have been cheap enough for anyone to afford and if you didn't ascend or the Rapture didn't come, you were only out $10. I could have been rich by now!

DinDonShamu
05-25-2011, 10:48 PM
That is why I wrote "inspired" and not inspired. The Bible and other religious texts have been used as the justification for many cruelties, some on the "small scale" of daily life within families and communities, some over a wide geographic range and time scale. The so-called "fanatics" were/are often supposed holy and wise religious leaders who were acting as "keepers of the faith" and working to spread their "one true religion." I have long rejected the idea/concept that there is any ONE TRUE RELIGION as it seems very intolerant to me. I believe that there may well be ONE TRUE RELIGION for an individual person or group of people, but that whatever that doctrine/religion/deity may be is not necessarily the path to spiritual growth for everyone. Obviously, many others believe otherwise or there wouldn't be proselytizers going around trying to convert others to what they believe to be the ONE TRUE WAY.

I believe there is one eternal truth, the force that governs the universe that cannot be expressed in any human language or even grasped by human reasoning. People around the world may have been revealed to this truth one way or the other, but the truth itself was already distorted the moment they tried to "spread the word." From generation to generation the fallible human minds edited and interpreted these texts to suit their own purposes. They turned a blind eye to the incredible similarities between their beliefs and, instead, picked on the little differences as excuses to vanquish or convert their neighbors, claiming that the divine sided with them with their holy "texts" as proofs. That's how we arrive at our world today.

Rex
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Harold Camping suffers stroke; speech affected (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002816/Doomsday-pastor-Harold-Camping-suffers-stroke.html).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Flatfoote
06-13-2011, 02:57 AM
Harold Camping suffers stroke; speech affected (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002816/Doomsday-pastor-Harold-Camping-suffers-stroke.html).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Wow, that is ripe for so many comments!

Rex
06-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Wow, that is ripe for so many comments!

I'm not sayin' nothin' :shuffle:.

BigB08822
06-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Will not go there, will not go there....:shuffle:

Flatfoote
06-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Will not go there, will not go there....:shuffle:

Apparantly, others are going there...

http://www.christianpost.com/news/harold-campings-stroke-divine-punishment-a-biblical-response-51162/

So can I say it out loud now?
And so sayeth the Lord...."shut the f*** up!!" :slinkaway

Vagabond
10-18-2011, 08:31 AM
I read an article today where the followers are claiming the Rapture is still on. God was just nice enough to give us 5 more months to repent and be saved. The world will still end on October 21st. Go sin all you want, just ask for forgiveness on the 20th.

So, how has everyone been coming along with the sinning?

Only three days left to ask for forgiveness. :COP:

Or maybe not (http://www.npr.org/2011/10/18/141427151/doomsday-redux-prophet-says-world-will-end-friday).

Next up.... Dec. 21, 2012 when the Maya calendar seems to indicate the world will end.

Again.

:watch: