PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking forward to the Rapture?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Dragonlady
05-25-2011, 01:07 PM
The Bible was written by men inspired by God, and yes there are some passages that reflect their personal biases. But as GKelly said, some of the moral wisdom it contains is relevant, even today.

Dismissing it as silly and wrong, especially when you haven't bothered to read it, is well, silly and wrong.

rfisher
05-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Hmm... Brian. Did you find it wrong when the American pastor said something disparaging about the Koran? Did you think he was in the wrong when there were retaliatory actions to his remarks? It's the same thing. Agal is right. The feelings of *non-believers* is just as strong as those of believers. It's still a belief, an opinion. Neither side has incontrovertible independent evidence to support a position (although everybody thinks they do). The difference is the passion of the belief everyone has. If there is no passion, they do not feel the need to express their own opinions.

NeilJLeonard
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
:watch:
I'll second that!...:watch:

NJL (...interesting conversation.....;)....)

LilJen
05-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I read an article today where the followers are claiming the Rapture is still on. God was just nice enough to give us 5 more months to repent and be saved. The world will still end on October 21st. Go sin all you want, just ask for forgiveness on the 20th.

Well, darn, I won't be able to celebrate my 17th wedding anniversary (22nd). Guess hubby and I better celebrate early.

BigB08822
05-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Dismissing it as silly and wrong, especially when you haven't bothered to read it, is well, silly and wrong.

You obviously don't know me. I went to Episcopal school from K-8 and Catholic High School until graduation. Is it so hard to believe someone may have actually spent their formative years going to Christian schools and having read the Bible but they still disagree with it?

manleywoman
05-25-2011, 06:21 PM
^ Nope.

DarrellH
05-25-2011, 06:28 PM
:cool:Rapture? One of my favorite Blondie songs, along with Heart of Glass.

jeffisjeff
05-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Given that this thread is dedicated to mocking a certain group's religious beliefs, I find it a bit odd that people participating in this thread would get upset at someone for, um, mocking a certain group's religious beliefs. Sure, many more people are followers of the Bible than are believers in the Rapture, but still...

numbers123
05-25-2011, 06:31 PM
If you can't separate a person from a book then what can I say to you? I said THE BIBLE was silly and wrong. By the way, to clarify, I meant wrong as in incorrect not as in morally reprehensible. I never said anything about any person who chooses to believe in what it says. Those words were put in my mouth. I enjoy engaging in discussion about such things but Dragonlady is not worth my time, I apparently upset her long ago. I made my statement about the bible only and she came in here and rudely brought it to the forefront. I fail to see how I am the one ruffling feathers. I can say anything I want about a book, even if it is the oh so holy bible.

Brian - the Bible is a written compliation of oral history. Oral history is never going to be word for word as it might have been with the first person to tell the stories/events. As others have said it was the opinion of the writer that was expressed and again not necessarily word for word what would be today. It has been translated many times. There are many religous books that are not a part of the events that occured in that time frame - the priests and other leaders chose the books to be included and which to leave out. And not all the original words can be translated into a specific English word/meaning so it has been interpreted as best as some of the reglious leaders thought to be what the writer intended.

The condemnation of homosexuality was expressed by some rather radical people and I happen to believe based in fear that perhaps they could be homosexual or family members could be. If one believes the wise statement of "do unto others as you want done unto you" would recognize that the condemnation of homosexuality is wrong in the sight of the higher being.

The book of Revelation (no S at the end)- generally what people use as the "written in the Bible will occur of this date" was written by John who was imprisioned on a remote island prision camp. Where the prisioners spent hours in heavy tedious manual labor often without water or food during the day and very little water or food at night. Could he always write with clarity or even know what he saw in dreams were actual speaking of God. I imagine if I had been sentenced to hard physical labor in the hot sun and dusty conditions of breaking rocks, I could also have some feelins/write down what the end of the world would be. It is indeed John's book of Revalation as HE experienced it. Not so much as someone should take as absolute truth.

Oh please. Yet I can't get married because the Bible says I am an abomination. When it suits them they take it VERY literally.
I think that you should be angry at those who take it literally, not so much the book itself. There are some :rolleyes: stories/statements, but there is also much wisdom that does not necessarily talk about God and his plans. The book of Proverbs is one.
I for one think that everyone should be able to marry, regardless of their sexual orientation.
/soapbox off
And I think that perhaps it might be considered a PI topic if it contines down this road. I try not to push my beliefs on anyone. I do hope that some of this makes sense in the whole Rapture belief.

Dragonlady
05-25-2011, 06:45 PM
You obviously don't know me. I went to Episcopal school from K-8 and Catholic High School until graduation. Is it so hard to believe someone may have actually spent their formative years going to Christian schools and having read the Bible but they still disagree with it?

No, I don't know you, however I do know a lot of people who have attended religious schools and had religious educations but who have never actually read the Bible.

When I was your age and questioning my faith, I realized that before I dismissed it as fairy tales and hokum, it behoved me to sit down and read the Bible, from cover to cover, and form my own opinion of it, without the filters of teachers, ministers and other "interpreters", however learned. It opened my eyes as to why the book is so revered and has inspired some of the greatest art and music the world has ever seen.

skatingfan5
05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
The Bible was written by men inspired by God, and yes there are some passages that reflect their personal biases. But as GKelly said, some of the moral wisdom it contains is relevant, even today.My belief is that the Bible is a compilation of various texts, many of which were written by men who believed they were inspired by God, and which were dreamed/imagined/created/told/recorded for a variety of reasons in a variety of times/societies. Some of the moral wisdom it contains is relevant today, and some is not, or perhaps I should say it is counter to what I believe is "moral." Perhaps one day I will read it in its entirety, but I have read enough of the Old Testament to be so turned off by the seeming vengeful, vindictive and violent nature of the "God" it depicts in many places, that I think it unlikely that I ever will. It may have inspired great works of art and music for some, but it also has "inspired" in others incredible cruelties in the name of salvation.

Dragonlady
05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
It may have inspired great works of art and music for some, but it also has "inspired" in others incredible cruelties in the name of salvation.

I don't know that "inspired" is the word I would use. More rather, the Bible, and other religious works including the Koran, have been used by fanatics over the centuries to justify some of the most barbaric acts imaginable. If these religious works had not existed, other excuses would have been found.

Satellitegirl
05-25-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't know that "inspired" is the word I would use. More rather, the Bible, and other religious works including the Koran, have been used by fanatics over the centuries to justify some of the most barbaric acts imaginable. If these religious works had not existed, other excuses would have been found.

Ah I see, so it's ok for the Bible to be credited for good things, but if it influenced bad things, well...they'd have just found other ways to be bad....the Bible had *nothing* to do with it.

Yeah...ok. :rolleyes:

suep1963
05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
DL isn't saying that the Bible has nothing to do with the "bad things", only that she would not use the word "inspired" in relation to that.

And she is correct in saying that if religious works of any kind did not exist, people would still be barbaric to each other. Using religion to justify (not inspire) action has been going on for millenium.

attyfan
05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Ah I see, so it's ok for the Bible to be credited for good things, but if it influenced bad things, well...they'd have just found other ways to be bad....the Bible had *nothing* to do with it.

Yeah...ok. :rolleyes:

Where do you get that? Just because DL didn't add that great works of art also would have existed even in the absence of the Bible?