PDA

View Full Version : Cannes ban Lars Von Trier after Nazi Comments.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Eden
05-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Danish director Lars Von Trier has accepted his ban from the Cannes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13457328)Film Festival, following his claims that he sympathised with Adolf Hitler.

Von Trier came to Cannes to promote his new film Melancholia.
The festival's decision to ban him came after Wednesday's
press conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a2rhSLNMaE)in which he stated:
"I understand Hitler but I think he did some wrong things yes absolutely but I can see him sitting in his bunker"
Von Trier said that while he was "not against Jews... Israel is a pain in the ass".

On a personal note I would like to say to Mr. Von Trier:
Allow me not to understand you... :::bigsigh:::

Nekatiivi
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
:rolleyes:

He also said that he thinks the things Nazi's did where the most terrible things done in human history and he dosen't approve it. Understanding someone actions dosen't mean that you approve them.

And to be honest, Isreal isn't a little angel. But in the west you are not allowed to talk about things this publicly. Hurray to the freedom of speech!

Rex
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Eden, it was one of the most offensively bizarre things I have heard this year. I guess we aren't meant to get it.

Veronika
05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
This is also the guy who hates the USA, but has never been there. :P

danceronice
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Reading the comments in an article yesterday, I was wondering if he was either high or having some sort of psychotic break. I don't think he's actually a Nazi but I was definitely wondering if he's gone around the bend.

milanessa
05-19-2011, 06:41 PM
But in the west you are not allowed to talk about things this publicly. Hurray to the freedom of speech!

:confused:

BigB08822
05-19-2011, 06:54 PM
It seemed like he was at first trying to make a joke but then he didn't know when to shut up and just kept on going and going. I saw the video and I felt awful for Kirsten Dunst. She was so clearly uncomfortable but too professional to make a scene or get up and leave.

Jot the Dot Dot
05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Inquiry: If he had made comparable comments about Joseph Stalin and communism, would the world give a flying crap?

danceronice
05-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Inquiry: If he had made comparable comments about Joseph Stalin and communism, would the world give a flying crap?

No, but that's because a certain subset of that world (or rather their parents, grandparents, and teachers, some of whom are now on stamps, for cripes' sake) spent a lot of time sucking up to Stalin and his political system and THEIR kids are wearing Che Guevera t-shirts and deep at heart still think Soviet Russia is kind of cool.

Though Poland would still give a crap. As would a good chunk of Ukraine. And a few other countries in that region. But no one cares what they think.

Cheylana
05-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Understanding someone actions dosen't mean that you approve them.
At least in the States, the word "understand" in this context is virtually synonymous with "sympathize." Maybe that's not what he meant, but that is what it sounds like. What is there to understand with respect to a man who attempted to eliminate an entire ethnicity/religion and was responsible for the deaths of millions of people? :confused:

caseyedwards
05-19-2011, 07:42 PM
I am reminded of when Marge Schott owner of the Cincinatti Reds said Hitler did some good things but went too far.

Hedwig
05-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Might this have been a language issue? When I read the quote I had to struggle at first to understand what was so offensive but then Cheylana's explanation of "understand" is synonymous with sympathize made it clear.
I hope that he meant that he could comprehend(? is that the right word) how someone with Hitler's mindset would think the way he did without ever never ever thinking the same way.

Allen
05-19-2011, 07:55 PM
This is also the guy who hates the USA, but has never been there. :P

I thought the issue was that he was afraid to fly, not that he hated the US.

I'm honestly not surprised by his comments. He's notorious for saying horribly offensive things to his actors... to the point that a lot of actors will not even accept scripts that are attached to him.

He is one of the most incredible film makers of our time, but as amazing as his films are, Dogville is the only one I can bear to watch again because the others are so bleak and heart wrenching.

Veronika
05-19-2011, 08:01 PM
I thought the issue was that he was afraid to fly, not that he hated the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_von_Trier#Trilogies

Lars von Trier proposed the films as ‘a series of sermons on America’s sins and hypocrisy’, inspired by the fact that American movie makers have made many movies about places across the world to which they have not travelled.

:huh:

my little pony
05-19-2011, 08:11 PM
i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane