PDA

View Full Version : Cannes ban Lars Von Trier after Nazi Comments.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

AliasJohnDoe
05-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Dunst looked sooooo uncomfortable. :slinkaway

Beefcake
05-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Good. :kickass: I love it when hateful people trip themselves up, especially when they do so while trying to exhibit their superiority.

Speaking of hateful people tripping themselves up and speaking of Cannes ... Sean Penn. :blah: That lemur-faced, anti-Semetic, anti-American, pro-Communist, OTT ham of an actor and douchebag pig of a person.

His “This Must Be the Place” is getting horrible reviews. So horrible that I wonder -- could his movie and his performance end up with "Showgirls" camp following?

This reviewer leaves me in stitches ...

Donning a subpar Alice Cooper impression, Penn plays the weary-eyed Cheyenne, a leather-clad middle-aged retiree spending his aimless days in a Dublin mansion. Hidden behind eye shadow and lipstick, his whiny delivery comes across like a John Waters script reject by way of Truman Capote. :lol: Early scenes find Cheyenne wandering through life in a daze, staggering through supermall while an eager public snaps photos. His boredom has drained him of a personality. “I’m a tad depressed,” he finally tells his unexplainably normal wife, Jane (Frances McDormand). “Maybe you’re confusing depression and boredom,” she says, which could double as a critique of Penn’s performance. LINK (www.indiewire.com/article/2011/05/20/cannes_review_paolo_sorrentinos_this_must_be_the_p lace_puts_sean_penn_in_an)

WindSpirit
05-20-2011, 08:21 PM
i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane :rofl:

I think his films are self-indulgent crap.

VALuvsMKwan
05-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I thought I remembered reading that he was born Lars Trier and added the "von" later - I had imagined that it was in homage to Erich von Stroheim, who did the same thing with his name, but IMDB states that it was done to emulate/honor Josef von Sternberg.

IceAlisa
05-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I thought I remembered reading that he was born Lars Trier and added the "von" later - I had imagined that it was in homage to Erich von Stroheim, who did the same thing with his name, but IMDB states that it was done to emulate/honor Josef von Sternberg.

Or just to be pretentious.

AliasJohnDoe
05-20-2011, 09:04 PM

hmmmm.....Does AliasJohnVonDoe work? :P

IceAlisa
05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
hmmmm.....Does AliasJohnVonDoe work? :P

It's lovely. I've been considering Ice d'Alisa myself.

VALuvsMKwan
05-20-2011, 09:58 PM

Well, I certainly thought that, but I thought that I might be labeled a no-culture Ugly American (which no doubt I am, but still carrying the stigma...) :drama:

Can I be VALuvsMvonKwan? :rofl:

millyskate
05-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, I certainly thought that, but I thought that I might be labeled a no-culture Ugly American (which no doubt I am, but still being carrying the stigma...) :drama:

Can I be VALuvsMvonKwan? :rofl:

MilyVonSkate? :lol: Clearly, this game provides hours of fun.

Seriously though, another high-flyer manages to kill his own career in one sentence :shuffle: :wall:
Idiot. There are no words.

VALuvsMKwan
05-20-2011, 10:04 PM
MilyVonSkate? :lol: Clearly, this game provides hours of fun.

Seriously though, another high-flyer manages to kill his own career in one sentence :shuffle: :wall:
Idiot. There are no words.

That looks like Lily von Shtupp from "Blazing Saddles"... :gallopin1

Michalle
05-21-2011, 05:52 AM
I used to think it was very important to try to understand the thought patterns of people who do terrible things in order to stop people from doing such terrible things in the future, but now I wonder how helpful that really is, because you're not actually understanding what those people were thinking, all that you're understanding is your own imagined version of how their thoughts were working. I think that those things are very different. And perhaps it is dangerous to think that you are understanding more about how evil happens and how a person could do something evil than you actually are.

Eden
05-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Iran :yikes: slams (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110524/ap_en_mo/eu_france_cannes_von_trier) Cannes Film Festival for Von Trier Nazi ban.
In its official protest, Iranian deputy culture minister Javad Shamaqdari, says that Cannes had smirched its history and rendered its claims to defend free speech "a meaningless slogan."

Iran, who is suddenly all about free speech, :rolleyes: has jailed several Iranian filmmakers for making movies that supported the country's reform movement.

Von Trier, who probably understands that with friends like this, one doesn't need an enemy, said in respond (http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/05/24/lars-von-trier-on-nazi-comments-unintelligent-ambiguous-needlessly-hurtful) to Iranian support that his remarks were "unintelligent, ambiguous and needlessly hurtful."

IceAlisa
05-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Obviously, Iran doesn't appreciate the difference between state/legal prosecution and a ban from a film festival.

PeterG
05-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Von Trier ... said ... that his remarks were "unintelligent, ambiguous and needlessly hurtful."

Von Trier seems to ramble when doing interviews/panel discussions. He really should get some training in how to be able to handle these situations differently. I wonder if he even likes doing them, but does so just in order to get promotion for his films. Or at the very least, he should let his producers and actors do more of the talking!

Cheylana
05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Von Trier, who probably understands that with friends like this, one doesn't need an enemy, said in respond (http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/05/24/lars-von-trier-on-nazi-comments-unintelligent-ambiguous-needlessly-hurtful) to Iranian support that his remarks were "unintelligent, ambiguous and needlessly hurtful."
Does this mean he's going to cancel next week's golf outing with Mel Gibson? :saint: