PDA

View Full Version : Cannes ban Lars Von Trier after Nazi Comments.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

milanessa
05-19-2011, 08:14 PM
i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane

:rofl: But you have wings.

manleywoman
05-19-2011, 08:56 PM
i hate his films, i would walk out on every one of them, even if they were being shown on a plane

I saw "Breaking the Waves" in the theater upon release. One things I'll say about it, I've never forgotten it. :scream:

Then I saw "Dancer in the Dark" not realizing it was the same director. And the whole time I'm watching it, I thought to myself, 'this reminds me of Breaking The Waves.' Sure enough . . .

Even though the acting was amazing in all films, I will never again watch another of his films. Despicable stuff, and he really seems hostile to his female characters.

VALuvsMKwan
05-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Reading the comments in an article yesterday, I was wondering if he was either high or having some sort of psychotic break. I don't think he's actually a Nazi but I was definitely wondering if he's gone around the bend.

Probably watched too many of his own unwatchable films. :blah:

VIETgrlTerifa
05-19-2011, 11:15 PM
I saw "Breaking the Waves" in the theater upon release. One things I'll say about it, I've never forgotten it. :scream:

Then I saw "Dancer in the Dark" not realizing it was the same director. And the whole time I'm watching it, I thought to myself, 'this reminds me of Breaking The Waves.' Sure enough . . .

Even though the acting was amazing in all films, I will never again watch another of his films. Despicable stuff, and he really seems hostile to his female characters.

That's funny because the only movie of his that I can rewatch is Breaking the Waves. I thought Emily Watson deserved the Oscar for that performance (even over Frances McDormand in Fargo and Brenda Blethyn in Secrets and Lies - both films and performances I loved).

IceAlisa
05-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Breaking The Waves was a great film. Assholes can be talented too.

Allen
05-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Breaking The Waves was a great film. Assholes can be talented too.

Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but I could never watch it again. Emily Watson's performance was extremely deserving of an Oscar.

Dancer in the Dark is also amazing, not as good as Breaking the Waves, but I was only able to watch it the once in the theatre. I do, however, listen to the soundtrack Bjork did with Thome Yorke all the time.

A student admitted into the graduate program for next year said he wanted to work with me and that he would like to examine sexuality in the films of Lars van Trier for his thesis project. I'm hoping he changes his mind so I don't have to spend a year revisiting those films.

All of my European colleagues think of van Trier as almost a hero. I remember saying that I would have to take a valium before going to see [Antichrist and all of them saying they didn't understand why.

I actually show Dogville to my film theory students almost every year.

IceAlisa
05-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but I could never watch it again. Emily Watson's performance was extremely deserving of an Oscar.
I couldn't watch it again either.

manleywoman
05-20-2011, 01:27 AM
I didn't hate Breaking the Waves, but I could certainly never watch it again. And yes, Emily Watson was brilliant.

I couldn't stand Dancer in the Dark though.

PeterG
05-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Von Trier has definitely stuck his foot in his mouth (and this isn't the first time either). But I think people are being selective with picking out certain sentences (or a select phrase or two) from the press conference, and taking it out of context.

Plus English is his second language and he was trying to be flippant/sarcastic, and his attempts at humour (rightly so?) fell flat.

This is also the guy who hates the USA, but has never been there. :P

Von Trier is critical of the USA, but so are many US citizens. It doesn't meant that they hate the USA.

What is there to understand with respect to a man who attempted to eliminate an entire ethnicity/religion and was responsible for the deaths of millions of people? :confused:

I personally believe that we need to try to understand anyone who has done something wrong in order to stop those kinds of wrongs from ever happening again.

If I were able to get to the point where I could understand someone who did horrendous things, it would not mean that I agree in any way, shape or form with the terror they created. It would mean that I understood the situation better and could use that information to make changes in the world so that less horrific things would ever happen again.

Cheylana
05-20-2011, 02:56 AM
I personally believe that we need to try to understand anyone who has done something wrong in order to stop those kinds of wrongs from ever happening again.
You are clearly a more optimistic soul than I am, as I don't believe pure evil can be truly understood. :(

Finnice
05-20-2011, 08:07 AM
You are clearly a more optimistic soul than I am, as I don't believe pure evil can be truly understood. :(

It is good for you if you canīt understand it. I think I can imagine (I donīt dare to use the word understand) why Hitler and his supporters thought that they thought. At the same time, I am very much against it.

This is not for you personally, Cheylana, but who of us can be 100% sure that living in Nazi times or Stalinīr regime, s/he would have had wisdom and courage to stand against it?

Still, I think von Trier acted stupidly:rolleyes:

Ozzisk8tr
05-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Dancer in the Dark was one of the most devastating movies I have seen. First time I saw it I sat there thinking "I really don't know if I'm enjoying this or not" but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I love Bjork, loved her music with a fierce passion before seeing it, but loved her even more after the movie. Love her quirkiness. How sad that brilliant people can be so far removed. I suppose it's true what they say about the line between genius and madness being very fine.

manleywoman
05-20-2011, 04:54 PM
It is good for you if you canīt understand it. I think I can imagine (I donīt dare to use the word understand) why Hitler and his supporters thought that they thought.

I can't, considering Hitler's own genetic background.

Dancer in the Dark was one of the most devastating movies I have seen.
That's a terrific description.

danceronice
05-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh, I can UNDERSTAND how a system like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union works. I have trouble believing anyone fell for the former (except a very few certain members of Hitler's inner circle whom all evidence indicates were genuinely, completely, insane in the legal sense--you cannot have any mental contact with reality and believe some of the things Hitler, but more so Himmler, Goebbels and Hess believed) and I've never gotten why any decent human being defends the latter. But in terms of history and structure I can see where it was coming from.

IceAlisa
05-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I saw the video of him speaking when he said that he both understands AND sympasizes with Hitler.