PDA

View Full Version : AI: Top 3 (May 18th & 19th) (merged with the poll)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29

BigB08822
05-20-2011, 05:31 AM
It's at about 1:14 on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze8I6ZRVgcA&feature=player_embedded#at=79

What makes it even funnier is that Randy just continues mindlessly bopping his head along. Even now he's not really bothering to pay attention to her.

OMG! It is even better than I could have imagined. It is even better if you go back about 4 seconds.

Randy is indeed just bobbing along. Jennifer's face never changes so she is either refusing to acknowledge what she heard or she also didn't listen.

Slezak is going to LOVE this. Can't wait for Idoloonies.

LuckyCharm
05-20-2011, 05:58 AM
When Haley was voted into the top 13 I didn't understand why. I didn't hate her but she was completely unmemorable to me. I was so confused as to why she made it through directly, not even having to win a wildcard spot. I thought America had it so wrong. I was the wrong one and Haley goes down as my favorite from the entire season, so she is a winner with me!

Same here.

MarieM
05-20-2011, 10:16 AM
I couldn't care less about this year's AI. The choices were IMO dreadfull and the jury sucks. I think the Voice has a lot more potential !

Dragonlady
05-20-2011, 02:42 PM
JLo is rumoured to be starting her own AI style show with Skeletor, looking for the next great Latin singing star. She is not expected to be returning to AI next season.

Aceon6
05-20-2011, 02:47 PM
JLo is rumoured to be starting her own AI style show with Skeletor, looking for the next great Latin singing star. She is not expected to be returning to AI next season.

Cool, maybe they can find someone who's not tone deaf? How about Mindy Doo?

cruisin
05-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Slightly off, but, did anyone notice the expressions on the faces of Scotty and Lauren, when they panned to them during Il Volo's performance? They looked completely confused, like either they had never heard Italian, opera, or great voices before. :lol:

Rob
05-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Definitely. Or at least let her mentor every week.

It is funny how this went from the "strongest group ever" to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for me. Oh well, I only watched it for Steven Tyler anyway. Can't wait for SYTYCD!!!!

skatesindreams
05-20-2011, 04:00 PM
They know that their biggest fan base is in the South and country music sells.

If this is an example of the image/talent that the South wants to promote, BAH!
I've lived in the South for most of my life, and can't stand "country music".

Dragonlady
05-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I would be interested in knowing Mevrouw's reaction to Il Volo. I doubt she would have thought much of them. She's not a fan of "hunk opera". We'll never know because Mevrouw would never watch AI. She likes to pretend pop music doesn't exist.

The first singer was dreadful and seemed to be there because of his looks. The nerdy looking guy was better.

cruisin
05-20-2011, 04:17 PM
I would be interested in knowing Mevrouw's reaction to Il Volo. I doubt she would have thought much of them. She's not a fan of "hunk opera". We'll never know because Mevrouw would never watch AI. She likes to pretend pop music doesn't exist.

The first singer was dreadful and seemed to be there because of his looks. The nerdy looking guy was better.

I don't think he was dreadful, but I agree the other two are better. I think they all have really good voices. We should remember that they are 16, 16, & 17, their voices still have to mature. But, that said, they are all light years more talented than what Idol produces.

rfisher
05-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I polled my class about the results
only two watch (they all prefer The Voice)
None voted
The two that watched liked Scotty.

The big thing about AI is who votes and who buys the records which is a major contributing factor in the post idol sales success. Haley is bluesy/jazz which is not as popular as the voting demographics. Which tend to be tweens or older adults. Haley had a few really good songs and a lot of really growly treck. But, I'm certain she'll be offered a contract (most of the top 10 are). Most don't do well and the contract is withdrawn after the first album. I gather the rest of her family made up her band who may or may not be included in that first album. Time will tell how things work for her and all the other top 10.

rfisher
05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
If this is an example of the image/talent that the South wants to promote, BAH!
I've lived in the South for most of my life, and can't stand "country music".

Umm....one of the biggest money makers in music is country. 25% of the billboard 100 this week are country artists. That's why lots of rock and pop do crossovers.

taf2002
05-20-2011, 04:43 PM
I am not a fan of country but I usually like crossover. But I do like country when the personality is bigger than the voice, like Dolly or Reba. I don't care for country if it is going to be what is served up by Scotty & Lauren. I think they are dreadful performers.

Melinda Doolittle said something on Idoloonies that makes sense. She said that on AI you feel like you have to bring out all your tricks every week on every song. I think that explains the excessive growling at times with both Casey & Haley. I watched some video of Haley singing with her garage band before AI & she was remarkable. If her album reflecks that it can be great. Even now her downloads beat her live performances in most instances.

Dragonlady
05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Melinda Doolittle said something on Idoloonies that makes sense. She said that on AI you feel like you have to bring out all your tricks every week on every song.

When American Idol was initially broadcast, I watched a couple of episodes but couldn’t get involved in that everyone seemed to be emulating Celine, Mariah and Whitney on the female side and guys like Michael Bolton on the male side – big voices at the top of their lungs. I wondered how performers like Janis Joplin, Elvis Costello or Van Morrison would have fared on such a program.

There now seems to be more variety on the show, in terms of the singers and the songs they perform, but people will still vote for “cute”, such as Paul this season, or an engaging personality like Taylor Hicks, over a more talented performer who would seem to have a bigger future like Chris Daughtry or Jennifer Hudson.

Allskate
05-20-2011, 05:58 PM

I'm not sure Melinda has it in her to be critical to the contestants to their faces. When Slezak asked her about Jordin's performance last week, she largely skirted around the question saying only how much she appreciates the fact that Jordin always comes up with something new. She'd by like Paula, telling them how great they look. But, I do love her on Idoloonies and her blog.

I'm very happy JLo is leaving, though I'm not sure anyone they get as a substitute will be better since they will largely be doing Nigel's bidding; Nigel isn't happy with his current level of power and manipulation and had said that he wants to change the judging format on Idol to be like SYTYCD, so the judges decide which of the bottom three goes home. We'd have a steady stream of vacuous teens. So, I don't think a different judge is likely to be any better. And Randy will still be there. Steven might sleep through all of next season.

I wonder if Ellen will interview Haley. Last week she tweeted for people to ignore the judges and vote for Haley. :lol: