PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting Kitty

Pages : [1] 2 3

modern_muslimah
05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I have an approximately four year kitty :cat: who has been throwing up for about two months now. We took her to a vet who did some tests and said that nothing was wrong and that it was probably just her cat food. We were feeding her Meow Mix indoor cat food and he said to switch to Hill's Science Diet Sensitive Stomach brand. Which was well and good because she wouldn't touch the Meow Mix anymore. We switched and while her vomiting didn't completely stop it got much better (instead of throwing up multiple times a day she might throw up once a week or not at all). When the Hill's Science Diet ran out, I cheated a bit and got her Purina ProPlan Sensitive Stomach/Sensitive Skin brand because it was a few dollars cheaper. It seemed to be okay at first but then she started throwing up again a lot (back to everyday). So I thought "okay, we'll just switch her back to the Hill's Science Diet." Well, that seemed to work at first but now she's back to throwing up everyday. A couple of times, there were hairballs in the vomit but most of the time it's just her food and nothing else.

Besides vomiting, she's her old self. She runs around and plays. She doesn't seem weak.

Have any you ever had this issue with your kitty? I'm really concerned. :(

my little pony
05-18-2011, 08:48 PM
what kind if cat is it? all of my siamese and tonkinese cats threw up pretty regularly

modern_muslimah
05-18-2011, 08:50 PM
She's a domestic shorthair.

DFJ
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Have any you ever had this issue with your kitty? I'm really concerned. :(

I have a cat like that. He tends to throw up dry food for some reason...perfectly healthy otherwise. I should note that he is a long-haired guy and tends to eat grass while out on my patio, so those two things might have some bearing. Any time I've had him at the vet, perfectly healthy, so I don't worry about him as long as he continues to eat and, more importantly, drink.

my little pony
05-18-2011, 08:53 PM
if the cat has been checked out, eats, drinks and does everything it should, i wouldn't worry

as my vet says, sometimes cats just throw up and it doesn't mean anything

Southpaw
05-18-2011, 08:55 PM
It's probably the food. You might want to try a better quality cat food, like Wellness, to see if that helps. Science Diet really isn't great food. Wellness costs more money, but that's the dilemma with cat food. The cheaper lines really seem to wreak havoc on the digestive systems for a lot of cats. A lot of people I know are having problems with vomiting cats in the past few years.

skipaway
05-18-2011, 09:09 PM
My orange DSH also throws up routinely. Perfectly healthy. I always wonder how he maintains his weight b/c he seems to throw up undigested food.

Satellitegirl
05-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I agree with what Southpaw said. And really, it may seem like a lot when you buy the bag of better quality food, but if you ration out the cost per day, it's quarters.

Southpaw
05-18-2011, 09:17 PM
I agree with what Southpaw said. And really, it may seem like a lot when you buy the bag of better quality food, but if you ration out the cost per day, it's quarters.

Not only that but it gets REALLY tiresome cleaning up cat puke every day. :lol:

Allskate
05-18-2011, 09:20 PM
My cat routinely vomited. It was a precursor to inflammatory bowel disease. But, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. There are all kinds of things that cause vomiting and, if it's food-related, sometimes it takes a lot of patience trying different foods to see what works. Grains can be hard on a lot of cats' stomachs, and a lot of cat food, including the specialty cat food, is high in grains. Talk to your vet and see what the vet thinks.

PrincessLeppard
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Finley and Peanut eat Purina One. Finley was barfing up the pricier stuff. Go figure. Sometimes he still goes on barfing binges that can last quite a while, which is :scream: but he is super fluffy and that might be part of it. And that he doesn't really like to be brushed. Fecking cats. :P

I do make sure the first ingredient is meat, though; not all Purina One varieties have that.

Southpaw
05-18-2011, 09:25 PM
One of my cats has had issues with EVERY food out there, the low-end stuff, the high-end stuff. Everything. I went through just about all of them over a couple of years. I finally managed to settle on a modified raw diet for him and it's been working very well.

modern_muslimah
05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far. I feel better knowing that can be routine for a lot of healthy cats.

It's probably the food. You might want to try a better quality cat food, like Wellness, to see if that helps. Science Diet really isn't great food. Wellness costs more money, but that's the dilemma with cat food. The cheaper lines really seem to wreak havoc on the digestive systems for a lot of cats. A lot of people I know are having problems with vomiting cats in the past few years.

I saw that in Petco the first time I brought Science Diet but then decided not to because the vet recommended Science Diet (he actually tried to push Hill's on my husband during the visit but my husband said no thanks). I think we'll try it though or maybe Blue? I have a friend who feeds Blue brand food to both her dog and her cat. She swears by it.

Not only that but it gets REALLY tiresome cleaning up cat puke every day. :lol:

Tell me about it! :lol: Hubby and I take turns. I don't know how I do it since I'm one of those people who throws up when I see another person throw up. :yikes: There have been times when I had to hold my breath and not look too much at her vomit while cleaning it up.

My cat routinely vomited. It was a precursor to inflammatory bowel disease. But, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. There are all kinds of things that cause vomiting and, if it's food-related, sometimes it takes a lot of patience trying different foods to see what works. Grains can be hard on a lot of cats' stomachs, and a lot of cat food, including the specialty cat food, is high in grains. Talk to your vet and see what the vet thinks.

I read about that in a book about cat that I borrowed from the library. I admit that I am a little worried about that but like you said I'm not going to jump to conclusions right now.

Impromptu
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
My orange DSH also barfs frequently - part of the reason is because he eats very quickly and then it comes right back up less than five minutes later. Doesn't matter what kind of food it is.

What seems to help a little is by giving him a small amount of food at meal time, and then if it stays down, give him another small amount about 15 minutes later, and then the rest of the meal another 15 minutes after that.

michiruwater
05-18-2011, 09:48 PM
As long as the cat is still eating and drinking, I think she's probably just being a cat. If she stops eating or drinking then you have a problem.