PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

victoriaheidi
05-17-2011, 09:23 PM
IMO, if USFS has any sense at all, they will find a partner for Caitlyn ASAP ... think of the drama (which should increase ticket sales, etc.) if Caitlyn and New Partner can meet Caydee and John at Nats.

Will it, really? I mean, I can't see why the manufactured drama would make a difference.

[No offense meant; the idea is there, I just don't see it working.]

julieann
05-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Well there were more than three teams at US nationals so I think it was a competition. And I think that US pairs put a lot of effort into their skating, even if few of them ever reach the top in the world. I don't think they should all be dismissed with a wave of a hand.

You are being far too defensive about a comment you made to begin with. You said since they are both national champs they can probably win again. Sure they can...but when your only "real" competition is a singles skater who is new to pairs with her partner and Evora and Ladwig who have never won nationals before and their worlds best is 9th....will it be that hard for them to be in contention? Doubtful, unless the teams from 5-13th place at nationals really step up and challenge them.

Even if they win nationals the whole time they are together, unless they change the way both of them have been coached previously they will never do better that they did with their previous partners.

olympic
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Did the Rodnina, Ulanov, Smirnova drama draw viewers during the '72 Olympics?

Wait, I think that actually involved s-e-x

BlueRidge
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
You are being far too defensive about a comment you made to begin with. ...

:lol: okay then

RD
05-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Dalilah is the coach-she was Y/C's coach and Caydee came to her after Nats. People suspect that she may have conducted some shady deals to set up this pair.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Still, I wonder what "she" could POSSIBLY gain from a Denney/Coughlin partnership. If it's medals, frankly I think Y/C would have been just fine after another season or two.

Perhaps if D/C come out swinging next season, all this will be explained.

numbers123
05-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Still, I wonder what "she" could POSSIBLY gain from a Denney/Coughlin partnership

I think that MONEY has been mentioned in one or two or more posts.

Mayra
05-17-2011, 09:35 PM
I can't help but wonder about Delilah's involvement in all of this. I mean... she was obviously very involved. I've never been a big fan of her coaching, not to mention her habit of pairing 11-year-olds with 20somethings, but I liked that the US had a pairs skating hub of some sort. But this is just so dirty.

I've always thought Dalilah was developing individual pair skaters as opposed to pair teams with these partnerships. Particularly in the novice and junior level. It never seemed realistic to think that the 20 year old was going to wait for the tween to reach senior eligible age in order for them to maybe compete senior. Especially when you consider the $$ aspect involved. Mind you, she isn't the first, last or only coach to do this.

casken
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Oh god, only page 3 and we're calling people "evil' over this already?

Aceon6
05-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Dalilah is the coach-she was Y/C's coach and Caydee came to her after Nats. People suspect that she may have conducted some shady deals to set up this pair.

There's also some speculation that the Denney sisters were negotiated as a package deal for Dalilah, creating an environment that allowed the chain of events.

genevieve
05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Most sports trades are reciprocal -- this is very one-sided at the present moment.
Reciprocal for the teams, not necessarily the individual players. There are plenty of sports trades that result in a talented player (or more) being caught out in the cold, with little time or position to find another team.

skatemommy
05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
There's also some speculation that the Denney sisters were negotiated as a package deal for Dalilah, creating an environment that allowed the chain of events.

This makes a lot of sense...her sis was also announced as a new pair...

reroemer
05-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know if, as a new team, they will be given any Grand Prix assignments? Would they qualify for the Team Envelope based on their results with their former partners?

RD
05-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I think that MONEY has been mentioned in one or two or more posts.

I take it this has to mean that the Denneys are well off?

I mean, if it was enough to cause the breakup of the most promising US pairs team in awhile...but Coughlin had to have been fine with it in order to actually make it happen. So I don't think fingers can be pointed in just one direction...

skatingfan5
05-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Reciprocal for the teams, not necessarily the individual players. There are plenty of sports trades that result in a talented player (or more) being caught out in the cold, with little time or position to find another team.:confused: I guess that I'm even more confused by this analogy, then. Who/what comprises Caitlyn's "team" for which this trade is reciprocal?

kwanette
05-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Oh god, only page 3 and we're calling people "evil' over this already?

I know..I was just going to comment on that..:rolleyes: