PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46

RD
07-21-2011, 03:45 AM
I see it from a results standpoint- if D/C can even approach the "success" that Y/C had, all is good. But that's a bit much to ask in the first year of partnership, no?

I think a National medal is quite probable. A title may not be out of the question. But internationally?

Ziggy
07-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Why isn't the Samuelson/Bates/Chock triangle being vilified as much as this one?

It's been vilified a lot actually. It's just old news now and we gathered our pitchforks and torches and moved on to Denney/Coughlin. :P

shan
07-21-2011, 04:57 AM
It's been vilified a lot actually. It's just old news now and we gathered our pitchforks and torches and moved on to Denney/Coughlin. :P

:rofl:

newbatgirl
07-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Why isn't the Samuelson/Bates/Chock triangle being vilified as much as this one?

Exactly, there was just as much drama behind the scenes on that one from what I hear. :sekret:

Different drama but still drama.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-21-2011, 05:59 AM

As I recall, it was for a while. Then Emily's grandpa posted and confirmed the rumors that Emily had been blindsided by Evan and the thread kinda died after we all posted our well wishes and good lucks to her.

I suspect the same thing would happen with the Denney/Coughlin/Yankowskas triangle if we got any substantial news whatsoever on Caitlin. The only things of note was a rumored tryout with Reiss and a tweet from Caitlin that she went back home for a while. I think that's what frustrates us Caitlin fans the most (me at least). A skater of her caliber (a freaking National champion) should be having tryouts left and right. But, no-one anywhere appears to have any news. In this day and age where you have insiders posting all over the internet and everything, you'd at least think someone would've posted a tidbit of seeing her skate (whether alone, or with someone else) at some point. Just seems odd that we haven't heard of any prospects, that's all.

victoriaheidi
07-21-2011, 06:16 AM
As I recall, it was for a while. Then Emily's grandpa posted and confirmed the rumors that Emily had been blindsided by Evan and the thread kinda died after we all posted our well wishes and good lucks to her.

I suspect the same thing would happen with the Denney/Coughlin/Yankowskas triangle if we got any substantial news whatsoever on Caitlin. The only things of note was a rumored tryout with Reiss and a tweet from Caitlin that she went back home for a while. I think that's what frustrates us Caitlin fans the most (me at least). A skater of her caliber (a freaking National champion) should be having tryouts left and right. But, no-one anywhere appears to have any news. In this day and age where you have insiders posting all over the internet and everything, you'd at least think someone would've posted a tidbit of seeing her skate (whether alone, or with someone else) at some point. Just seems odd that we haven't heard of any prospects, that's all.

100% agreed.

1. Emily/Evan/Madison died down after her grandfather's post-once there was SOMETHING substantial.
2. If the Y/C/D stuff didn't sound like a steaming pile of poo, I doubt this thread would still be going on.

CantALoop
07-21-2011, 08:06 AM
If you make breaking up too costly, even fewer skaters will take the risk of skating pairs. There are already consequences for switching partners- not serious ones, but they are there.

Rather than penalizing breakups, maybe the USFSA could it more lucrative for skaters that stick together? For example, instead of using the same tier system for singles, maybe they could consider something like a grid pay scale that has tiers based on seasonal results, but also provides a bonus/raise for a pair for the more years they stay together?

MacMadame
07-21-2011, 09:36 AM
It's just a bad way of handling a break up to pair up with someone else.
So once a pair breaks up, neither pair can skate again with someone else? :huh:

Personally, I think it doesn't matter what the circumstances are and what the press release said and what people say in interviews. Whenever a team breaks up, there are people on FSU pissing and moaning about how horrible the breakup is and that they will never support the new team(s) that form out of it.

Prancer
07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Personally, I think it doesn't matter what the circumstances are and what the press release said and what people say in interviews. Whenever a team breaks up, there are people on FSU pissing and moaning about how horrible the breakup is and that they will never support the new team(s) that form out of it.

We will never accept pit bull Camilla and creepy adulterer Charles together! Diana was and is the only true Princess! :mitchell:

Oh, sorry. Wrong drama. I think.

Yazmeen
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
A skater of her caliber (a freaking National champion) should be having tryouts left and right. But, no-one anywhere appears to have any news. In this day and age where you have insiders posting all over the internet and everything, you'd at least think someone would've posted a tidbit of seeing her skate (whether alone, or with someone else) at some point. Just seems odd that we haven't heard of any prospects, that's all.

Then this begs the question: if she is not working with anyone, why ISN'T a skater of her caliber getting these tryouts? Is this a coaching issues? A lack of male partners? Or maybe there is something about Caitlin herself that is sending prospective partners fleeing?

And I'm not slamming her here, I don't have a horse in this race either but have always liked Caydee Denney and John Coughlin AND their previous partners and wish them all well now. I heard very nice reports on D/C from Liberty, especially John on a personal level. It just seems to me that for many of you this is turning into "Bad John" dumping "Saint Caitlin" and I doubt either image is true. He isn't the devil incarnate and she ain't Mother Theresa, and it's likely there were issues on both sides that led to the split.

olympic
07-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Then this begs the question: if she is not working with anyone, why ISN'T a skater of her caliber getting these tryouts? Is this a coaching issues? A lack of male partners? Or maybe there is something about Caitlin herself that is sending prospective partners fleeing?

And I'm not slamming her here, I don't have a horse in this race either but have always liked Caydee Denney and John Coughlin AND their previous partners and wish them all well now. I heard very nice reports on D/C from Liberty, especially John on a personal level. It just seems to me that for many of you this is turning into "Bad John" dumping "Saint Caitlin" and I doubt either image is true. He isn't the devil incarnate and she ain't Mother Theresa, and it's likely there were issues on both sides that led to the split.

Wasn't the last bit of news re Caitlin [either via twitter or facebook] that she was at DSC [Detroit Skating Club] with Jason Dungjen? I heard about the tryout with AJ, but nothing else. I fear that she may end up skipping this season due to lack of a partner :(

kwanfan1818
07-21-2011, 03:50 PM
So once a pair breaks up, neither pair can skate again with someone else? :huh:

This.

RD
07-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Rather than penalizing breakups, maybe the USFSA could it more lucrative for skaters that stick together? For example, instead of using the same tier system for singles, maybe they could consider something like a grid pay scale that has tiers based on seasonal results, but also provides a bonus/raise for a pair for the more years they stay together?

Yes, something kinda like this. Then again, there may be only so much money to go around these days.

It just seems to me that for many of you this is turning into "Bad John" dumping "Saint Caitlin" and I doubt either image is true. He isn't the devil incarnate and she ain't Mother Theresa, and it's likely there were issues on both sides that led to the split.

Indeed. I think the issue with this split is we've only heard ONE side of the story (the D/C side). Yankowskas FTR has not commented on the matter. Still, it's funny that she is being seen as 100% innocent in all this by some.

Regardless of how the breakup happened, doesn't make it any less disappointing, but to assume that it was all Coughlin's fault is really jumping the gun IMO. He claims he wanted to quit skating (or, as it turns out, quit skating WITH Y) but what we don't know is WHY he wanted to quit. Decisions like this are usually not made lightly. I don't think the "supposed romance" between D/C is enough to explain the situation because a couple of our dance teams have shown that you can have a skating partnership with one person and a romantic relationship with another.

kwanfan1818
07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Indeed. I think the issue with this split is we've only heard ONE side of the story (the D/C side). Yankowskas FTR has not commented on the matter. Still, it's funny that she is being seen as 100% innocent in all this by some.

That is very smart of her: if she's already presumed innocent, what would saying anything accomplish?

PDilemma
07-21-2011, 04:33 PM

If the money was there, I think that's a good idea. Again, I think USFSA needs to find ways to encourage teams to stay together which does not at all mean banning changes.

It also might be worthwhile to see how the ice dance coaches handle their teams and the inevitable conflicts. The ice dance teams at the top aren't splitting/trading/quitting. (I know many of our top teams work with the same coaches, but I don't follow dance so forgive me for not knowing who they are off the top of my head). Something good must be going on there.