PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46

Jenna
07-19-2011, 11:17 PM
We're getting into a serious ewwww territory with the supposed romance, so pregnancy rumors would be next?

I don't really get what's so "ew" about it. If any of this is true at all, then Caydee and John are simply two adults in a relationship. Nothing out of the ordinary here. :confused:

minignome
07-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Weak analogy. This one is more like the guy who dumped my friend our senior year in college after three years of serious dating, telling her that he just didn't want to marry any time soon. That was in late April. On Labor Day weekend that same year, he married someone else.

Truth: he didn't want to marry her.

Based on what he has said publicly, John told Caitlyn he didn't want to skate anymore. A couple of weeks later, he was skating with Caydee.

Truth: he didn't want to skate with Caitlyn.

It seems that John could have handled this a bit more gracefully. If he did handle it better privately, good for him. But I suspect he didn't.

So, if he had said publicly that he didn't want to skate WITH Caitlyn that would have been preferable? I don't see where him telling the "Truth" would have change the result --Caitlyn being "dumped" --or swayed the current public opinion of John to be more positive. Based on some reactions here the only way John doesn't look bad is for him to stop skating permanently with anybody and thus have the US down 2 pairs teams. While I would have preferred Caitlyn and John, I'll take Cayedee and John over no pair at all.

PDilemma
07-20-2011, 12:49 AM
So, if he had said publicly that he didn't want to skate WITH Caitlyn that would have been preferable? I don't see where him telling the "Truth" would have change the result --Caitlyn being "dumped" --or swayed the current public opinion of John to be more positive. Based on some reactions here the only way John doesn't look bad is for him to stop skating permanently with anybody and thus have the US down 2 pairs teams. While I would have preferred Caitlyn and John, I'll take Cayedee and John over no pair at all.

There are plenty of less duplicitous ways to have handled this. Perhaps saying he and Caitlyn's styles or goals or training habits or whatever were very different hence he felt a change would suit him better.

It is kind of like when politicians or their senior staff resign to "spend more time with family". It is a graceful way out.

just tuned in
07-20-2011, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by PDilemma
Weak analogy. This one is more like the guy who dumped my friend our senior year in college after three years of serious dating, telling her that he just didn't want to marry any time soon. That was in late April. On Labor Day weekend that same year, he married someone else.

Based on what he has said publicly, John told Caitlyn he didn't want to skate anymore. A couple of weeks later, he was skating with Caydee.

So then, Caitlyn will apply to Harvard skating school in an effort to win John back?

Does Billy Crystal skate pairs?

rfisher
07-20-2011, 01:31 AM
We're getting into a serious ewwww territory with the supposed romance, so pregnancy rumors would be next?

I've learned over the years if FSU says something is happening, there is a 98.4% probability that it is indeed.

halffull
07-20-2011, 01:42 AM
I've learned over the years if FSU says something is happening, there is a 98.4% probability that it is indeed.

Those are pretty high odds ......... ;)

Sylvia
07-20-2011, 02:16 AM
But JMHO - With only a few tenuous bits of circumstantial evidence, we ought to stick to criticizing (or praising) what they put on the ice.
Hmmm, you don't seem to be taking your own advice in this thread? :saint:

I did get a chance to hear Denney/Coughlin's free skate music played in a Liberty practice. It's two versions of "Nessun Dorma" with the first part performed by Vanessa Mae (from her Violin Fantasy on Puccini's 'Turandot' which has been WAY overused by skaters, IMO) and the second part is Jeff Beck's electric guitar version (has this piece been used by a well-known skater already?). Obviously D/C are not going to win any original skating music selection awards this season :shuffle:, but for a first-year team I would expect that focusing on improving the quality of their technical elements, getting their timing in synch as a pair, and showing an emotional connection on the ice (which I saw in their Liberty SP debut) are going to be the main priorities for them.

FSWer
07-20-2011, 02:18 AM

It seems that John could have handled this a bit more gracefully. If he did handle it better privately, good for him. But I suspect he didn't.

Gee.Talk about deseiving your Partner.Are we saying he just told Caitlyn he didn't want to skate anymore. Rather then be honost and say he din't want her for a Partner? Has Caitlyn said anything about this? What about their coaches?

moojja
07-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Gee.Talk about deseiving your Partner.Are we saying he just told Caitlyn he didn't want to skate anymore. Rather then be honost and say he din't want her for a Partner? Has Caitlyn said anything about this? What about their coaches?

But to take the analogy farther. During the breakup, did the guy already know he was going to get marry to a different woman. Or did he just met someone else afterwards and realize he was dating the wrong woman for 4 years.

Maybe John didn't want to skate anymore, but only after stopping and then trying out with Denney, did he realize it wasn't skating, but Caitlyn. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Caitlyn, sometimes a partnership never gels together, but if there were no major conflicts, and it kind of works, I can see why two people might continue together. Even if one person was never completely satisfied.

This is just a theory with no proof whatsoever, like most of the posts in this thread.

olympic
07-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Hmmm, you don't seem to be taking your own advice in this thread? :saint:

I did get a chance to hear Denney/Coughlin's free skate music played in a Liberty practice. It's two versions of "Nessun Dorma" with the first part performed by Vanessa Mae (from her Violin Fantasy on Puccini's 'Turandot' which has been WAY overused by skaters, IMO) and the second part is Jeff Beck's electric guitar version (has this piece been used by a well-known skater already?). Obviously D/C are not going to win any original skating music selection awards this season :shuffle:, but for a first-year team I would expect that focusing on improving the quality of their technical elements, getting their timing in synch as a pair, and showing an emotional connection on the ice (which I saw in their Liberty SP debut) are going to be the main priorities for them.

Caught up in the moment, Miss Sylvia. I guess I was personalizing something here :slinkaway

I sincerely do want to give them a chance and see what they put on the ice without making assumptions. I look forward to their LP at the Indy Challenge.

I don't really get what's so "ew" about it. If any of this is true at all, then Caydee and John are simply two adults in a relationship. Nothing out of the ordinary here. :confused:

Ewww was the wrong term and I will correct my original post. I actually feel that they as a new pair deserve some 'breathing room', whether there is a romance or not.

reese
07-20-2011, 03:44 AM
I think something else that leaves people confused about the Y/C breakup is not only did they have an absolute breakthrough year, putting a US medal in pairs in view for Sochi, but they grabbed hearts with their Ava Maria LP, dedicated to John's dead mother. To me, there was quite a bit of honesty in their skating of that program all season long, and it brought me over to their side. It's hard to to imagine skating a program that personal and emotional with someone you absolutely can't stand, so much so that you could barely wait until you got out of the Kiss and Cry after the Worlds LP before dumping her. It's just a head-scratcher.

MarieM
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
It's just a bad way of handling a break up to pair up with someone else.
I said it before, but both John and Caydee and the coach look like eville people. And probably will gain what they deserve for that :P

feraina
07-20-2011, 08:15 AM
There are plenty of less duplicitous ways to have handled this. Perhaps saying he and Caitlyn's styles or goals or training habits or whatever were very different hence he felt a change would suit him better.

I have never heard of any pairs or ice dance partners say that in a public statement just after a breakup, though this must be true from time to time. It seems highly undiplomatic and discourteous, and suggestive of acrimony and bitterness. Had they really said that, we'd be suspecting of something much worse and more scandalous! :hat1:

VALuvsMKwan
07-20-2011, 12:07 PM
It's just a bad way of handling a break up to pair up with someone else.
I said it before, but both John and Caydee and the coach look like eville people. And probably will gain what they deserve for that :P

Wow. Just wow. :confused:

I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you are never judged in the same manner as you have done here.

agalisgv
07-20-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't really get what's so "ew" about it. If any of this is true at all, then Caydee and John are simply two adults in a relationship. Nothing out of the ordinary here. :confused: I think the ew factor for some is they supposedly hooked up while she was still a minor.

With only a few tenuous bits of circumstantial evidence I suspect one of the issues fueling this is there are some who are privy to more than just a few bits of circumstantial evidence, and based on what they know, feel the situation reflects very poorly on both Caydee and John (as well as those immediately around them).

And then there are those with close but undisclosed ties to at least one half of D/C that feel the urgent need to tell people to move on and accept the couple because they have oh so much to offer.

And there you have it.