PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

skatingfan5
05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I think of this as a sports trade, nothing more. John asked to be traded to a different team. It doesn't make him a bad person. It's not like Team Caydee drove over to his house, stuffed him into a laundry bag, and kidnapped him to the Springs.Most sports trades are reciprocal -- this is very one-sided at the present moment. To me, it's more like Lebron James leaving Cleveland for Miami when his contract was up (which, with the ham-handed way that was handled, didn't exactly endear him to his former fans). :slinkaway

my little pony
05-17-2011, 07:32 PM
No thank you.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zemgirl
I think of this as a sports trade, nothing more. John asked to be traded to a different team. It doesn't make him a bad person. It's not like Team Caydee drove over to his house, stuffed him into a laundry bag, and kidnapped him to the Springs.
Sure, but you don't often see athletes wanting to be traded to a weaker team. I don't question his character - just his good judgment. I mean, if Roy Halladay wanted to be traded to, say, the Rockies, that would be a bit weird, wouldn't it?

Yukari Lepisto
I also wonder if Caitlin tweeting that she was going 'home' was a message that she was getting the heck away from CO...

Caitlin has a twitter account?

Cheylana
05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Sure, but you don't often see athletes wanting to be traded to a weaker team.
Many, if not most, athletes follow the money. So if the weaker team is offering more $$$$$, then that is where they go. Plus some athletes would rather be the big fish in a smaller pond.

RD
05-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Caitlin has a twitter account?

I searched for one and couldn't find one. I don't think she is on Twitter. Maybe the OP meant Facebook?

Anyway, my thoughts on the whole thing are kind of summed up in the post I made at GS:

My initial thought is that he was leaving a clearly superior partner for someone merely average, but who knows- as bizarre as this whole thing is, perhaps we should give them at least a chance or two before dumping on them...perhaps Coughlin can do a better job of bringing out Denney's strengths than Barrett did.

aemeraldrainc
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110517&content_id=19179812&vkey=ice_pressrelease&tcid=tw_share

And it's official....

That's funny. Tai Babilonias' comment....

jkl
I have always thought that John Coughlin is the nicest figure skater in the US. I do hope this partnership works out for him.

skatemommy
What could team Caydee be offering that is worth more than a National Championship and 6th place finish at Worlds?

Doubletoe
05-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm not at all a fan of how this all went down, and it seems stupid and pointless to me as an outsider for John to leave Caitlin. But I also understand that I'm an outsider to the situation: I hardly know the ins-and-outs of what was going on behind the scenes. So while I'm unhappy about it, all I can do is hope we get two really superior teams instead.

^ What she said.

RD
05-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Still wondering, though, what was behind this baffling decision. Wow.

victoriajh
05-17-2011, 07:55 PM
ok i don t have the time to read all the threads- um WHY? why would he split from Y to skate with denny?? are they a couple? what is caitlyn saying about all this? this seems liek a dube all over again....

Zemgirl
05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Many, if not most, athletes follow the money. So if the weaker team is offering more $$$$$, then that is where they go. Plus some athletes would rather be the big fish in a smaller pond.
Seems to me that most athletes care about winning and not just about the money. Also, weaker teams are often weaker because they can't afford to get top players, unless there's a salary cap. But I'm not sure it's much of a parallel anyway - I don't know what the financial situation here is, but Caydee Denney has weaknesses as a skater that can't be fixed by throwing money around. Whereas if the Phillies are unhappy with, say, their starting pitching, they can go sign a top free agent: problem fixed.

AliasJohnDoe
05-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I have heartburn. And possibly lice since I keep scratching my head over this one.

blarney01
05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
First, John is one of the nicest and most genuine guys out there, who has worked hard for many years, has proven to be a great partner and consistent skater, maybe not as fluid ...Caitlin is a graceful skater but has regularly struggled with sbs jumping and landing throws consistently..they had a great, inspired year, one year! Now give both of them an equal chance (and respect) to do well with new partners before blasting one or the other.
Good Luck John & Caydee Good Luck to Caitlin as well