PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RD
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I still find it creepy if John and Caydee are indeed a couple now. All i know is when i was 25 i certainly wasn't looking to get involved with a 17 year old. High school girls were in another world as far as i was concerned.

Creepy? Maybe not (IMO) but the maturity gap can be quite substantial.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Me either. I hope C/S :kickass: at US Nationals along with E/L and Marly and Rockney. I'd like to see all three standing on the podium.

That would be fine, but after seeing their gorgeous Sleeping Beauty LP, I'm rooting for Donlan/Speroff to get their jumps sorted out and kill it at Nats.

If they could get the tech content, they'd easily be the best US pair imo. That's a big if though. They might never get the jumps down for all we know.

feraina
07-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, it is John putting that sort of spin out there. Caydee is "the only person" that could have made him continue skating, after all. :drama:

He also said as soon as they held hands, he felt like he should protect her and take care of her.

So he's smitten with her. :cool:

That doesn't imply manipulation on her part. :blah: She'd have to be a pretty amazing 17-yr-old to have that kind of manipulative power, especially since most teenage skaters are really sheltered, and he's the one who had multiple previous romantic skating partners, according to some posters. :rolleyes:

I actually think his comment about wanting to protect her and taking care of her pretty telling. It implies that he didn't feel as much of that with Caitlin. His style and Caitlin's just never matched. It's like throwing together a Bolshoi ballet dancer and a Broadway musical actor, total clash of inclination and abilities. Try as he may, John was just never going to turn into the elegant ballet dancer, and he was constantly having to cope with being not being elegant enough to match Catilin in the eyes of fans and judges. And if he had any natural on-ice personality, he never had the chance to express that.

Maybe skating with Caitlin makes him feel at ease and appreciated. Their similar strengths and weaknesses mean that they can maximally exploit their advantages while working on shortcomings without either feeling overshadowed or inadequate. By all personal accounts, he is a really nice guy who wants to please everyone. But that doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy feeling respected and confident.

I find the argument, that he should have stuck with his old partner just because decided he wants to continue skating after all, unconvincing. A skating partnership is not just a professional relationship but a personal one, deeply personal one when it works well (the most successful couples are either lovers or best friends, e.g. Torvill & Dean, Virtue & Moir). When people get divorced, would you think that they shouldn't ever marry again, because if they like the idea of being married and already produced children with their partners, then why don't they stay with that partner instead of moving on? :P

Why is it unbelievable that they just found immediate chemistry, which then blossomed into something more as they spent hours together every day? Didn't Denis Petukhov fly over to have a try-out with Melissa Gregory and ended up staying (living with her family) and never using that return ticket? Actually Melissa was on the verge of quitting and only 19 when it happened. They had a successful career and are now happily married. Sometimes magic happens. Who are we to be cynical and judgmental about this if two young people think they found magic?

skatemommy
07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
John kissed Caydee on the cheek during their Liberty warmup. It's just kind of obvious.

He also kissed Delilah :rolleyes: and probably would have kissed the referee had he/she been nearer to the boards.

LilJen
07-18-2011, 10:21 PM
John kissed Caydee on the cheek during their Liberty warmup. It's just kind of obvious.

Wait a minute. . . I kiss my extended family members on the cheek, I sometimes kiss my daughter on the cheek, I sometimes will even kiss friends on the cheek. . . guess I'm a polyamorist!! :lol:

RD
07-18-2011, 10:27 PM
I agree. Kiss on the cheek doesn't prove anything.

OTOH, a kiss on the mouth...different story

TheIronLady
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Wait, Caydee Denney is only 17? I have seen her a number of times and I thought she was close to 30.

olympic
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Are there going to be 'Caydee is pregnant' rumors next? This thread is close to going off the rails

Cyn
07-18-2011, 11:14 PM
That triple twist :eek: :respec:

For a first outing after teaming up for only a few months, the SP was a lot better than I expected. Hopefully they will eventually hire someone to choreograph for it :P.

:lol: Could they try any harder to make Caydee look like Caitlin in terms of physical appearance? Same hairstyle, and very similar dress to what Caitlin has recently worn. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I felt even sadder for Caitlin after watching this attempt to create a Caitlin 2.0.

They've doen a LOT of work on her style and posture which is paying off but I still think the whole cloning of Yankowskas is a mistake…...but on appearance and packaging, Caydee is another set of highlights and 2 spray tans away from becoming Caitlin's twin :lol:

No kidding. When I first saw Caydee on the ice, I couldn't help but wonder if she was actually wearing one of Caitlyn's older dresses.

Overall, I think CD has definitely worked on her lines and extensions, and even if that was minimal, skating next to JC makes it looks far more impressive.

…Oh, and a L4 for the FW? Maybe it's because they didn't look like they were flailing around while trying to escape from a swarm of bees (which is how I though RF's EoE footwork looked, but that's just me, I guess :shuffle: ).

It's going to be a total bummer not seeing Caitlyn and her beautiful lines, posture, and extension on the ice this season. Skategods, please find her a wonderful, kickass partner!!

stjeaskategym
07-18-2011, 11:14 PM
I was being sarcastic with this statement because Y/C were together only one season with these kinds of accomplishments so the only thing that makes sense for him to leave a successful partnership would be a romance.

Oh I know you were being sarcastic. I just thought it was :lol:

I still find it creepy if John and Caydee are indeed a couple now. All i know is when i was 25 i certainly wasn't looking to get involved with a 17 year old. High school girls were in another world as far as i was concerned.

At least John isn't crashing some high school prom to find some 17 year old kid to date... They aren't normal students, they are high level athletes living in the same type of world. I suppose that makes it less weird.

Wait, Caydee Denney is only 17? I have seen her a number of times and I thought she was close to 30.

:rofl: This thread has become so silly.

rfisher
07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Are there going to be 'Caydee is pregnant' rumors next? This thread is close to going off the rails

And your point would be? :saint:

Prancer
07-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Caydee Denney is, as has been stated numerous times in this thread already, 18 years old.

PDilemma
07-19-2011, 01:19 AM
I find the argument, that he should have stuck with his old partner just because decided he wants to continue skating after all, unconvincing. A skating partnership is not just a professional relationship but a personal one, deeply personal one when it works well (the most successful couples are either lovers or best friends, e.g. Torvill & Dean, Virtue & Moir). When people get divorced, would you think that they shouldn't ever marry again, because if they like the idea of being married and already produced children with their partners, then why don't they stay with that partner instead of moving on?

Weak analogy. This one is more like the guy who dumped my friend our senior year in college after three years of serious dating, telling her that he just didn't want to marry any time soon. That was in late April. On Labor Day weekend that same year, he married someone else.

Truth: he didn't want to marry her.

Based on what he has said publicly, John told Caitlyn he didn't want to skate anymore. A couple of weeks later, he was skating with Caydee.

Truth: he didn't want to skate with Caitlyn.

It seems that John could have handled this a bit more gracefully. If he did handle it better privately, good for him. But I suspect he didn't.

Lacey
07-19-2011, 01:20 AM
I feel about this thread the way I felt about the Caysey Anthony lack of conviction and subsequent thread(s). She was found not guilty, about which we can be horrified. However, nothing we say is going to change the lack of conviction, the same way John and Caitlin broke up as skating partners and we can’t do anything about that. He is now, who cares how and in what order it happened on what particular day, paired with Caydee. He may or may not be having a romantic relationship with her that is none of our business, except to perhaps note how it has effected their skating, that it might have already given them a very nice connection, they communicate on ice with their eyes and touch. Who knows, flip this John/Caydee angst and perhaps find that Caitlin was nasty to John and he simply had to get out for his own sanity. Gotcha, we were not inside any of these relationships, so who are we to talk about what happened to whom when?

Please let the new skating speak for itself and let go of the old, that's over. The D/C partnership, however, seems to have quite a bit of its own excitement, with the power and the connection that even in this early stage is undeniable. He threw that girl sky high in an almost perfect, or maybe it was perfect, it was described as "Chinese" 3twist, very securely, and the throw flip/lutz was right on powerful and deep, and she hugged the ice on landing. Sure everything could use more polish and choreography, but they've only been together less than two months. I hope they get some fall competition(s), but imagine anyway how improved they are going to look in over 6 months at Nationals. I myself am excited to watch pairs, perhaps we will have 3 sets of very strong medalists and will somehow get to qualifying 3 for Worlds and Olympics. And may the best pair win.

Jo Ann
07-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Great post, Lacey!!!!!