PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

leafygreens
07-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I would like to not believe the romance rumours because it's squicky to me :yikes:, but if there's one thing I've learned in my time at FSU, it's that when there's smoke, there's fire. Just in this past off-season how many "crazy rumours we have no evidence for that just being perpetuated by fans" have come true? There have been several instances when hard to believe rumours have come true (but only after the initial purveyor of information was called out for spewing nonsense)? Ashley Wagner's move, Samuelson and Bates' split, Chock & Bates teaming up... not even counting this whole situation. It seems to me that pretty much every rumour about Caydee/John/Caitlin has been true thus far, which indicates we definitely have some users with inside information here. Honestly out of this whole saga, this is alleged romance is the least surprising development.

I have zero personal knowledge about this, and for all I know this could definitely be fake, but the romance angle makes more sense to me than the version of events outlined in the icenetwork article. I will say that John and Caydee seem really happy and at ease together, and dare I say look better than in each of their previous partnerships.

For me, I personally don't have any inside info, but I call it as I see it. The reason that everyone is talking romance, is because of the way they talk about each other. It's mushy and ooey-gooey. The pairing with Caydee has made John change his mind about retirement. John was so done with skating that even a national championship and 6th in the world wasn't going to keep him around. Not much else but a romance would drag him out of that kind of despair. It's hard to imagine John exceeding the success he had with Caitlin, so it's got to be something other than D/C's talent pulling them together.

Then there is another factor, which is "whatever Caydee wants, Caydee gets." She said she was not going to be apart from her family again after moving to Colorado. Come hell or highwater, she was getting whatever partner she wanted. I think that the romance happened after Caydee decided on getting a new partner, and John was just in the line of fire. Because Caydee needed something, anything, to make the partnership work. The romance is probably forced and will end shortly.

So we're supposed to believe that John had decided long before Worlds that he wanted to retire from the sport at the end of the season, his absolute breakthrough season? He breaks it off with Caitlin almost literally on the plane home from Moscow (the split was announced less than 48 hours after their return) and then goes to Dalilah who has just coached her most successful and critically-acclaimed pair ever and tells her that he wants to coach full-time now. She says, but wait! Don't quit! Certainly don't rethink your decision to dump Caitlin, but poor little Caydee Denney is here in Colorado, just skating around, totally partnerless. Give it one more week! Caydee and John team up, it's a total miracle of timing and good luck, and all of a sudden all eyes on Sochi!

Sorry, but it doesn't pass the laugh test. The Denney family juggernaut (Caydee, mom and Haven) has always been led around the country by Caydee's skating, not Haven's. The official line on this would have us believe that immediately after splitting with Jeremy, Caydee selflessly moves with her mom and Haven to Colorado so Haven can skate with a new partner. Caydee takes no tryouts the first 2 months she is in Colorado.

From what I hear, John and Caydee are romantically involved. It is a bit gross because she just turned 18 a few weeks ago, definitely after they became an item, but more than that I don't think it's a good sign for the long-term success of their skating partnership, after the romantic relationship most likely, eventually fails. I've said before that Caydee and her mom strike me as people who don't settle for mediocre results. John isn't her first partner, and with the 8-9 year age difference, he won't be her last.

Couldn't agree more.

Sylvia
07-18-2011, 02:14 PM
OTOH, skating with Denney, even though they have been together for much less time and getting basic things down like technical elements and synchrony should require a lot more attention/effort, they look much more at ease with each other, have much more chemistry, and are much happier. They just can't seem to help smiling both during the performance and at the interview.

Skaters don't just skate to please their fans or get good results, they have to be happy doing it, too. I think it's wonderful that they seem to be so happy skating together, and seem to have such good technical basis, too.
^^ This. BTW, I believe D/C planned a throw 3F in their SP but it was called a 3Lz for whatever reason.

numbers123
07-18-2011, 02:18 PM
But why? Regardless of how or why it happened, it happened, it's done and there is no rewind. John is not going to skate with Caitlyn any more.
****snip*****

No! It must be a conspiracy! We haven't had a good one in so long!

Because we are a skating board and people want a reasonable timeline? And because it must be a conspiracy? :P

stjeaskategym
07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
John was so done with skating that even a national championship and 6th in the world wasn't going to keep him around. Not much else but a romance would drag him out of that kind of despair.

:lol:

I agree that events may well have gone beyond the point where "no comment" really isn't going to cut it.

I agree. He picked up a new partner way too quickly to be able to say "no comment". But they are presenting this as a magical, feel-good story when it just isn't. John can say what he wants, but to me, an explanation more similar to the typical vague explanation that teams use when they split or when they get new coaches would have been a little better. It's not a big deal, but I imagine this isn't the last time we are going to hear this magical story. Oh well.

Rafter
07-18-2011, 03:04 PM
But why? Regardless of how or why it happened, it happened, it's done and there is no rewind. John is not going to skate with Caitlyn any more.

People get divorced. It happens. And I have to say that with just a few word changes, I would think a lot of these posts were about a cheating husband who'd dumped his lovely wife for his sleazy girlfriend.

This.

The more I think about it and after listening to Delilah's interview and reading some of the quotes from John, I get the sense there is more to this story than we'll ever know. There are two sides to every story and obviously all must not have been rosy between Caitlin, John and Delilah.

OnyxRose81
07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
ITA. It all just seems really weird.

I'd have no problem with D&C (well, I still wouldn't like their skating, but their partnership wouldn't bug me at least) if the scenario had been something like, John and Caitlin broke up because they'd felt they'd gone as far as they could together. At least that'd make some sense.

ETA: another article about D&C: http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/?e=68354&d=07/15/2011&s=Caydee%20Denney%20and%20John%20Coughlin%20-%20A%20Tale%20of%202%20Champions

Some of the quotes in the article just make me feel for Caitlin all over again.

Agreed. There really is no way that I can support this couple. Everything surrounding their partnership doesn't sit well with me. She surprised me with how much she has improved but he's still as graceless as ever. I can't back this horse to win however but good luck to them.

olympic
07-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I realize that several posters are overly frustrated with the break-up of Y/C as it looked like they were going places, and dare we have dreamt that the US would have a good pair after so many seasons of lackluster performances. Plus, it doesn't help matters that the break-up and re-pairing looks admittedly odd, especially since John left a better skater for someone perceived as less gifted on the ice.

But JMHO - With only a few tenuous bits of circumstantial evidence, we ought to stick to criticizing (or praising) what they put on the ice. We also need to wait and see what they look like come Nats in January to brand them with any sort of reputation.

I also agree with Rafter's post that there are 2 sides to every story. We don't know what Caitlin said or did, how she contributed to the whole situation. I'm not saying that she did anything negatively, just that we don't know.

luenatic
07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
The way this thread is heading, it's not even worthy of moving it to the Trash Can.

rfisher
07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Agreed. There really is no way that I can support this couple. Everything surrounding their partnership doesn't sit well with me. She surprised me with how much she has improved but he's still as graceless as ever. I can't back this horse to win however but good luck to them.

Me either. I hope C/S :kickass: at US Nationals along with E/L and Marly and Rockney. I'd like to see all three standing on the podium.

leafygreens
07-18-2011, 04:36 PM
John was so done with skating that even a national championship and 6th in the world wasn't going to keep him around. Not much else but a romance would drag him out of that kind of despair.

:lol:

I was being sarcastic with this statement because Y/C were together only one season with these kinds of accomplishments so the only thing that makes sense for him to leave a successful partnership would be a romance.

John kissed Caydee on the cheek during their Liberty warmup. It's just kind of obvious.

RD
07-18-2011, 05:37 PM
well...from some of the comments you'd think Coughlin cheated on Yankowskas with Denney. :yikes:

olympic
07-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Me either. I hope C/S :kickass: at US Nationals along with E/L and Marly and Rockney. I'd like to see all three standing on the podium.

My preference is to see a couple of top US teams significantly exceed expectations

MacMadame
07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
All the pearl clutching in here. :lol:
Yes, it's amusing.

And apparently Caydee has some sort of magical powers that allow her to always get her way including MAKING people fall in love with her.

PDilemma
07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
And apparently Caydee has some sort of magical powers that allow her to always get her way including MAKING people fall in love with her.

Well, it is John putting that sort of spin out there. Caydee is "the only person" that could have made him continue skating, after all. :drama:

Jammers
07-18-2011, 08:39 PM
I still find it creepy if John and Caydee are indeed a couple now. All i know is when i was 25 i certainly wasn't looking to get involved with a 17 year old. High school girls were in another world as far as i was concerned.