PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

skatemommy
07-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Isn't Cayee's romance with her current partner ONLY a rumor spread by some skating fans anyway?

Yes...

numbers123
07-17-2011, 06:26 PM
I think the difference between Matt and John's is the involvement of a partner. Making a decision that affects both people and then 2 weeks later choosing another person to take you out of retirement? It's his life and he can choose what he wants to do, but the lack of a reasonable story/timeline is going to have people question what/how happened.

As mlp points out, if this is a relationship pairing because of romance (which is something that I do not know), relationships at age 18 can be more than fluid quickly ending because of a falling out. Then what - you announce another retirement?

orbitz
07-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't think I would call what Savoi had in 2006 a "breakout year". He and skating fans knew he was never going to be annointed #1 by the USFSA judges and the World judges. What Matt had in 2006 was a very nice surprise for him after a long eligible career, similar to what Paul achieved in Albertville, but it was highly unlikely to be duplicated had he continued his skating career. He knew it was time to move on.

John's situation is different. He won the National Championshiop, placed 6th at Worlds and still is relatively a spring chicken for a male pair skater. There's no reason to think that he and previous partner couldn't at least repeat as National champ next year.

RD
07-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Making a decision that affects both people and then 2 weeks later choosing another person to take you out of retirement? It's his life and he can choose what he wants to do, but the lack of a reasonable story/timeline is going to have people question what/how happened.

That's really this whole thread boiled down to a single paragraph...

overedge
07-17-2011, 08:28 PM
They have every right to make decisions about their own lives that make them happy, and also the right to choose not to disclose whatever they don't want to disclose. Just because someone asks a questions doesn't mean that you have to answer it, and if you do answer it, it doesn't mean that you can't keep parts of the situation private.

Agreed, but there is a difference between not answering questions you don't want to answer, and giving misleading or untruthful information in response to questions you don't want to give an honest answer to.

"No comment" or "I'd prefer not to discuss that" is better than being deceitful.

numbers123
07-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Agreed, but there is a difference between not answering questions you don't want to answer, and giving misleading or untruthful information in response to questions you don't want to give an honest answer to.

"No comment" or "I'd prefer not to discuss that" is better than being deceitful.

I really think that "no comment" or "I'd prefer not to discuss that" would not have been better. We would still have the same speculation especially as the information about romantic behaviors (hand holding, kissing in public) were observed and reported.

Sparks
07-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Figure Skaters are not elected officials. I really don't care what they say or not say. The proof is in their actions.

triple_toe
07-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I would like to not believe the romance rumours because it's squicky to me :yikes:, but if there's one thing I've learned in my time at FSU, it's that when there's smoke, there's fire. Just in this past off-season how many "crazy rumours we have no evidence for that just being perpetuated by fans" have come true? There have been several instances when hard to believe rumours have come true (but only after the initial purveyor of information was called out for spewing nonsense)? Ashley Wagner's move, Samuelson and Bates' split, Chock & Bates teaming up... not even counting this whole situation. It seems to me that pretty much every rumour about Caydee/John/Caitlin has been true thus far, which indicates we definitely have some users with inside information here. Honestly out of this whole saga, this is alleged romance is the least surprising development.

I have zero personal knowledge about this, and for all I know this could definitely be fake, but the romance angle makes more sense to me than the version of events outlined in the icenetwork article. I will say that John and Caydee seem really happy and at ease together, and dare I say look better than in each of their previous partnerships.

newbatgirl
07-17-2011, 10:55 PM
He crossed the line so long ago he can't even see it in his rearview mirror.

Thank you!

Ziggy
07-18-2011, 02:42 AM
they are but spending $$$$ on a business relationship created around the 17 yr old's romantic entanglement may not be sound economics

:D

You're really on top form recently. :cool:

All the kissing on the ice makes John C the new John B in the ewwww....factor. The exception is Caydee isn't Rena and I certainly don't want her set free.

:rofl:

overedge
07-18-2011, 06:06 AM
I really think that "no comment" or "I'd prefer not to discuss that" would not have been better. We would still have the same speculation especially as the information about romantic behaviors (hand holding, kissing in public) were observed and reported.

I agree that events may well have gone beyond the point where "no comment" really isn't going to cut it. I was thinking more of when things first started going sideways....

MacMadame
07-18-2011, 07:03 AM
the story they've been sharing doesn't make much sense.
That's because you are assuming that what was related in the first press release happened right when the PR was issued. But many times there is a delay in announcing the end of a partnership particularly if there upcoming competitions.

If you assume the conversation with Delilah happened earlier, perhaps after Nationals, then I think the timeline makes more sense. Let's say John says he's done and the team says Let's wait until after Worlds to tell people so we get marked fairly at Worlds (or whatever their concern was). Then, at some point (perhaps immediately), Delilah starts to work on John to get him to change his mind and in the meantime Worlds gets postponed making the decision to wait to announce the end of the partnership problematic as it compresses the timeline.

It wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened... I mean a decision to end a partnership is made but not announced until the end of the season... not postponing Worlds. That part was unprecedented.

julieann
07-18-2011, 07:32 AM
they are but spending $$$$ on a business relationship created around the 17 yr old's romantic entanglement may not be sound economics

I agree, with all the kissing and hand holding some folks have been seeing it seems like the relationship rumor is true even if has not been confirmed by them. I don't see a problem with it age wise, but I do worry about the partnership if the personal relationship ever goes south.

They seemed really happy together (for now) and some of the elements look really good, but I still don't think he will be better off with her than with CY;, I guess he needed to go with who ever makes him happy. I don't see a problem with them getting a silver or gold at nationals.

Prancer
07-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Regarding what they say in articles: It doesn't matter to me whether the reasons C/D give in articles for their pairing are 100% true, 100% false, or anywhere in between.

This. If people had a different explanation, would they be happier? Would they believe it? Would it make any difference?

the lack of a reasonable story/timeline is going to have people question what/how happened.

But why? Regardless of how or why it happened, it happened, it's done and there is no rewind. John is not going to skate with Caitlyn any more.

People get divorced. It happens. And I have to say that with just a few word changes, I would think a lot of these posts were about a cheating husband who'd dumped his lovely wife for his sleazy girlfriend.

Perhaps not, but the same could be said of pretty much any romantic entanglement. This has been amply demonstrated in skating over the years.

It wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened

No! It must be a conspiracy! We haven't had a good one in so long!

casken
07-18-2011, 09:12 AM
All the pearl clutching in here. :lol: