PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

mikemba
07-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Skaters don't just skate to please their fans or get good results, they have to be happy doing it, too.

I agree with you, in fact I think that making themselves happy should be by far their #1 priority.

I am a long time skating fan who thinks that no skaters/pairs owe me any explanation for what they do.

Regarding what they say in articles: It doesn't matter to me whether the reasons C/D give in articles for their pairing are 100% true, 100% false, or anywhere in between. They have every right to make decisions about their own lives that make them happy, and also the right to choose not to disclose whatever they don't want to disclose. Just because someone asks a questions doesn't mean that you have to answer it, and if you do answer it, it doesn't mean that you can't keep parts of the situation private.

mikemba
07-17-2011, 02:03 PM
The throw 3z looked like she flutzed, though

I am by no means an expert, but I was at Liberty and had no idea what they planned to do, so I had no pre-conceived expectations what I was about to see. I saw it as a lutz simply because it looked, from where I was sitting, like she took off from an outide edge.

Really
07-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree with you, in fact I think that making themselves happy should be by far their #1 priority.

I am a long time skating fan who thinks that no skaters/pairs owe me any explanation for what they do.

Regarding what they say in articles: It doesn't matter to me whether the reasons C/D give in articles for their pairing are 100% true, 100% false, or anywhere in between. They have every right to make decisions about their own lives that make them happy, and also the right to choose not to disclose whatever they don't want to disclose. Just because someone asks a questions doesn't mean that you have to answer it, and if you do answer it, it doesn't mean that you can't keep parts of the situation private.Yes.

Zemgirl
07-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Regarding what they say in articles: It doesn't matter to me whether the reasons C/D give in articles for their pairing are 100% true, 100% false, or anywhere in between. They have every right to make decisions about their own lives that make them happy, and also the right to choose not to disclose whatever they don't want to disclose. Just because someone asks a questions doesn't mean that you have to answer it, and if you do answer it, it doesn't mean that you can't keep parts of the situation private.
I think the point most of us are getting at is not that Caydee and John owe us a complete account of how their partnership came to be. Of course they can keep this to themselves; but that's not what they've been doing, and the story they've been sharing doesn't make much sense.

Personally, I don't care if D/C paired up because he didn't get along with Caitlin, or because there's a romantic relationship - neither scenario is unprecedented. But there's a difference between keeping some things private and pushing what appears to be a less than truthful story.

Cheylana
07-17-2011, 02:30 PM
OTOH the Chinese pairs skaters have reaped great success while being romantically involved. Maybe the problem is not enough love in U.S. pairs skating, not too much. :P
Except the Chinese pairs skaters aren't allowed to break up. Maybe we need more Communism in US pairs skating...? :P

Wyliefan
07-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm really considering unfollowing Aunt Joyce on twitter. Yes, we fans can be disappointed that Y/C broke up, but are personal attacks about Caydee having "trailer trash hair" necessary? He's crossed the line.

He crossed the line so long ago he can't even see it in his rearview mirror.

dancefan17
07-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, despite rumors and circumstances, they looked incredibly happy together at Liberty....and skated pretty darn well, too. Sometimes you do need to follow your heart and I really hope it works out.

rfisher
07-17-2011, 03:14 PM
they are but spending $$$$ on a business relationship created around the 17 yr old's romantic entanglement may not be sound economics

All the kissing on the ice makes John C the new John B in the ewwww....factor. The exception is Caydee isn't Rena and I certainly don't want her set free.

orbitz
07-17-2011, 03:25 PM
they are but spending $$$$ on a business relationship created around the 17 yr old's romantic entanglement may not be sound economics

Isn't Cayee's romance with her current partner ONLY a rumor spread by some skating fans anyway?

RD
07-17-2011, 03:47 PM
From what I hear, John and Caydee are romantically involved. It is a bit gross because she just turned 18 a few weeks ago, definitely after they became an item, but more than that I don't think it's a good sign for the long-term success of their skating partnership, after the romantic relationship most likely, eventually fails. I've said before that Caydee and her mom strike me as people who don't settle for mediocre results. John isn't her first partner, and with the 8-9 year age difference, he won't be her last.

Seriously?? Don't even try to tell me this is why all this happened...

And as you pointed out- that is, IF what you say is true- then this partnership has no chance long-term. Once the off-ice relationship cools, it's that much harder to sustain the on-ice one.

Again, though, this seems to be mostly speculation- as I have not seen any proof yet of this.

Cal Girl
07-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Caydee would be fourth or more partner with whom John has had a relationship. When the relationship ends that partnership also ends. Perhaps he should be more professional and less needy.

This is sick and true. But, best to Caydee and John in skating.

just tuned in
07-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I am happy for them. They could be America's next Meno and Sand! (And if in fact they do break up in a couple years, well, at least they will have had a couple years...)

FWIW, they were holding hands in the parking lot walking out of Liberty.

RD
07-17-2011, 04:14 PM
FWIW, they were holding hands in the parking lot walking out of Liberty.

OK, now there we go.

Sparks
07-17-2011, 04:29 PM

This. :respec:

kwanfan1818
07-17-2011, 06:05 PM
So we're supposed to believe that John had decided long before Worlds that he wanted to retire from the sport at the end of the season, his absolute breakthrough season?
This, true or not, is perfectly understandable: he's in his mid-20's, has been doing this for a long time, had the blow of his mother's death and skated without her support for the first time, might have wanted to go out on top, may have had a goal of top 10 at Worlds and not have expected to be top six, etc.

Skaters make plans for the rest of their lives, like Matt Savoie, who, in his last season, medalled in a major championships (4C's) and got recognition in Torino. He didn't give up his plans for law school because he had the equivalent of a break-out year.