PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

reroemer
07-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Caydee would be fourth or more partner with whom John has had a relationship. When the relationship ends that partnership also ends. Perhaps he should be more professional and less needy.

Why do people keep implying that John and Caydee are in a romantic relationship? Is there any real evidence stating such, or are we just perpetuating a rumor?

I am glad the skaters seem to enjoy skating together and had a terrific debut.

numbers123
07-17-2011, 04:17 AM
ITA. It all just seems really weird.

I'd have no problem with D&C (well, I still wouldn't like their skating, but their partnership wouldn't bug me at least) if the scenario had been something like, John and Caitlin broke up because they'd felt they'd gone as far as they could together. At least that'd make some sense.

Some of the quotes in the article just make me feel for Caitlin all over again.

The quote that stood out the most for me in the article was paraphrasing here: I reached all that I felt I could and it was time to retire. Then Delihah suggested I should give it one more week?

I know that is not the exact quote, but damn that was cruel. (((Caitlin)))

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-17-2011, 04:22 AM
OTOH the Chinese pairs skaters have reaped great success while being romantically involved. Maybe the problem is not enough love in U.S. pairs skating, not too much. :P

Are (or were) Zhang/Zhang romantically involved as well?

I've always wondered about that. I guess just because P&T and S&Z are, it always made me curious if Z&Z went there too.

olifaunt
07-17-2011, 04:22 AM
Caydee would be fourth or more partner with whom John has had a relationship. When the relationship ends that partnership also ends. Perhaps he should be more professional and less needy.

They're romantically involved? Isn't Caydee seventeen? :yikes:

Mayra
07-17-2011, 04:27 AM
ITA. It all just seems really weird.

IMO The only reason it seems weird is because of the way they are trying to sell the timeline and the story of this partnership. Post Worlds John was done with skating, but with help of Dalilah and his mother watching out for him, he found Caydee less than a week after the split and suddenly his love of the sport came back and they lived happily ever after. That was quick! :P Nice.

Jenna
07-17-2011, 04:32 AM

Calm down, she's 18 now - a legal adult! ;)

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-17-2011, 04:44 AM
IMO The only reason it seems weird is because of the way they are trying to sell the timeline and the story of this partnership. Post Worlds John was done with skating, but with help of Dalilah and his mother watching out for him, he found Caydee less than a week after the split and suddenly his love of the sport came back and they lived happily ever after. That was quick! :P Nice.

The timing is a big issue, because almost immediately after the press release of Y&C's split came out, it was posted that D&C had been seen skating together.

Not only that, but remember that post in the Worlds (or was it 4CC?) forum implying that Caydee would have a new partner announced within a month after worlds was over?

Not to mention the rumors (whether true or not) that D&C had been skating together even before his breakup with Yankowskas...

FSWer
07-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Any photos of them in competion yet?

Zemgirl
07-17-2011, 05:34 AM
Just rewatched Y/C's FS at National's and World's. Anyone else notices that they barely looked at each other? They were "performing" to the audience, but they didn't skate with much chemistry or heart (especially John), despite its' being a very poignant and emotional piece. Maybe skating with Yankowskas just stopped being fun or joyful to Coughlin. It looked like he was just going through the motions, just another day at work.
If that's the case, I wish he'd just come out and say that instead of telling reporters that he was going to retire until Caydee miraculously showed up. As others have noted, the timeline they keep selling people doesn't make any sense. Just tell the truth - it wouldn't be the first time a skater left a partnership that wasn't working, or done so to skate with a romantic partner (assuming that's true).

Proustable
07-17-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm fine with whatever he wants to say, but the "mom was looking out for me" angle made me gag a little.

reese
07-17-2011, 06:47 AM
So we're supposed to believe that John had decided long before Worlds that he wanted to retire from the sport at the end of the season, his absolute breakthrough season? He breaks it off with Caitlin almost literally on the plane home from Moscow (the split was announced less than 48 hours after their return) and then goes to Dalilah who has just coached her most successful and critically-acclaimed pair ever and tells her that he wants to coach full-time now. She says, but wait! Don't quit! Certainly don't rethink your decision to dump Caitlin, but poor little Caydee Denney is here in Colorado, just skating around, totally partnerless. Give it one more week! Caydee and John team up, it's a total miracle of timing and good luck, and all of a sudden all eyes on Sochi!

Sorry, but it doesn't pass the laugh test. The Denney family juggernaut (Caydee, mom and Haven) has always been led around the country by Caydee's skating, not Haven's. The official line on this would have us believe that immediately after splitting with Jeremy, Caydee selflessly moves with her mom and Haven to Colorado so Haven can skate with a new partner. Caydee takes no tryouts the first 2 months she is in Colorado.

From what I hear, John and Caydee are romantically involved. It is a bit gross because she just turned 18 a few weeks ago, definitely after they became an item, but more than that I don't think it's a good sign for the long-term success of their skating partnership, after the romantic relationship most likely, eventually fails. I've said before that Caydee and her mom strike me as people who don't settle for mediocre results. John isn't her first partner, and with the 8-9 year age difference, he won't be her last.

RumbleFish
07-17-2011, 09:55 AM
It will be interesting to follow how this story develops over next season. :watch:

Ziggy
07-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure there is any choreography, maybe they will add it later

:rofl:

:EVILLE: but oh so true. :hat1:

The throw 3z looked like she flutzed, though

I thought the edge was ok but she was totally off-axis in the air.

So...he told Caitlyn he wanted to retire, then a couple of weeks later paired up with someone else. If he didn't want to retire, why not continue with her, they had a lot of success. And what is so great about Caydee Denney? Did Delilah think he had a crush on her and exploit the situation so as to not lose the opportunity to coach her?

There is just no way this can make sense or sit well with me.

They are a couple off-ice so obviously he lied to Caitlin and surely wanted to team up with his new gf all along. :/

The throw 3Lz and throw 3F have the same value, so edge takeoff hasn't really mattered. Edge calls haven't been made on throws.

A flutz is not a flip and a lip is not a lutz though. So edge calls should be made.

She isn't but even if she was, so what?

People under 18 aren't allowed to be involved in romantic partnerships?

Honestly... :rolleyes:

CantALoop
07-17-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty sure most states have 16 as their age of consent...not that it would make any rumors of any relationship more savoury. :shuffle:

my little pony
07-17-2011, 01:16 PM
People under 18 aren't allowed to be involved in romantic partnerships?

they are but spending $$$$ on a business relationship created around the 17 yr old's romantic entanglement may not be sound economics