PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Rafter
07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I watched D&C and cannot believe how much they're cloning her to look like Yankowskas!! It is weird IMO and I'd be a bit embarrassed if I were Denney.

Coughlin is still really rough around the edges. He actually makes Denney's skating look refined. :shuffle:

Libertango
07-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Hey, watched the youtube vid of their SP again. Where are the SBS spins? :confused:

Last year the pair spin was not an element in the SP. I suppose there was a new rule last year to alternate SBS and Pair spins each year like they did with Spirals and FW Sequences.

newbatgirl
07-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Haven't seen this (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110715&content_id=21810594&vkey=ice_news) posted here yet.

Athena
07-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Good debut for D/C. Love them both, wish them good luck in the new season.

olympic
07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Haven't seen this (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110715&content_id=21810594&vkey=ice_news) posted here yet.

Wow. So they got Lv 4 in FW and the Pairs Spin? It sounds like they are really going for it this season. Good for them!

The throw 3z looked like she flutzed, though

PDilemma
07-16-2011, 05:44 PM
So...he told Caitlyn he wanted to retire, then a couple of weeks later paired up with someone else. If he didn't want to retire, why not continue with her, they had a lot of success. And what is so great about Caydee Denney? Did Delilah think he had a crush on her and exploit the situation so as to not lose the opportunity to coach her?

There is just no way this can make sense or sit well with me.

kwanfan1818
07-16-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm surprised at how improved Caydee looks after such a short period of time. Better stroking, extension, toe point, posture, and hands -- everything is 10x better.
I agree. I think they are far more suited to each other than he was with Yankowskas. (And I love, love Yankowskas.)

Good buddy and parent of another pairs skater competing at Liberty messaged me on Facebook that they met John and described him as one of the nicest people she's ever met. Very solid debut, these two have a lot or promise. Much more elegant look for Caydee.

Edited to add: Just spoke to her, John apparently went out of his way to speak to the younger male pairs partners, wishing them luck, etc. Not just "have a great skate," but taking the time to speak with each one, "friend me on Facebook." She described him as a terrific ambassador for USFS.
I met him at Skate America in Everett, and I thought the same. I observed him with other people, too, and he treated everyone with the same attention, unlike a certain Mr. Baldwin. He's got the knack for making people feel listened to.

She looks quite a bit more refined skating-wise, and the costuming, hair, and makeup also helps. It didn't look like they were carrying a lot of speed, but it is certainly early days.

The music is ssssslllllooooowwwww. If they were going for less perk for her, then they accomplished that.
I think the slowness of it gave her the opportunity to get that extra refinement. Not all skaters would have taken the opportunity -- some skaters skate through music, no matter what the tempo and character is -- which is what impressed me.

They've doen a LOT of work on her style and posture which is paying off but I still think the whole cloning of Yankowskas is a mistake. I mean not skating-wise obviously - they're just too different and,well, Caitlin just has the lines that Caydee will never have no matter how much ballet she does - but on appearance and packaging, Caydee is another set of highlights and 2 spray tans away from becoming Caitlin's twin :lol:
Sometimes this is just packaging, but I was impressed that she was trying for style and details as well. Trying to look like Yankowskas' style-wise is not the worst thing that could happen in pairs skating.

ETA: Oh and the music cuts are just the pits obviously! :scream:
Yes, ugh.

Mayra
07-16-2011, 07:07 PM
East of Eden seems to be the music dujour for the artistically challenged. It's been blessed by Kwan no doubt. :P I actually found John to be the weaker link in this partnership. As Rafter posted above, very rough around the edges.

Just by tech content alone, I'd expect them to shoot straight to the top at US Nationals. What a great debut for them!

skatemommy
07-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Wow. So they got Lv 4 in FW and the Pairs Spin? It sounds like they are really going for it this season. Good for them!

I'm not usually a "propped up" conspiracy theorist but the footwork and the spin were really weak (especially the spin...level 4 - really?) :eek:

Jenna
07-16-2011, 07:11 PM
The technical panel wasn't the most strict one in the world. 3 of the 4 teams got level four footwork. Two got level fours on the pairs spin, and one team got a level three. D/C's death spiral was a level one.

stjeaskategym
07-16-2011, 08:43 PM

I hope John is not continually asked to talk about his "retirement, immediate unretirement". However he wants to word it, it's clear one partner was dumped for another, and it's an awkward enough issue that I hope does not get repeated over and over, just for Caitlin's sake.

"We've been sitting at home, waiting to live up to the hype," Coughlin, 25, said. "We really wanted to get out there."

:lol: I suppose hyping yourself in one article counts as hype.

The throw 3Lz and throw 3F have the same value, so edge takeoff hasn't really mattered. Edge calls haven't been made on throws.

Well, Caitlin's makeover from the '09-'10 season to '10-'11 was a smashing success for the team, so I'm assuming Delilah is trying to duplicate it with Caydee. Hell, they are probably hoping some of the international judges barely notice John has a new partner.

:lol: Caitlin has always looked like that... I find it comical to not only advise Caydee to style her hair like Caitlin's, but to wear a dress that looks almost identical to one that she wore months ago. At least when Rachael Flatt and Sarah Hughes were advised to change their hair (also silly, IMO), they were not trying to be anyone's clone. :lol:

East of Eden seems to be the music dujour for the artistically challenged.

This may be true.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-16-2011, 09:16 PM
So...he told Caitlyn he wanted to retire, then a couple of weeks later paired up with someone else. If he didn't want to retire, why not continue with her, they had a lot of success. And what is so great about Caydee Denney? Did Delilah think he had a crush on her and exploit the situation so as to not lose the opportunity to coach her?

There is just no way this can make sense or sit well with me.

ITA. It all just seems really weird.

I'd have no problem with D&C (well, I still wouldn't like their skating, but their partnership wouldn't bug me at least) if the scenario had been something like, John and Caitlin broke up because they'd felt they'd gone as far as they could together. At least that'd make some sense.

ETA: another article about D&C: http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/?e=68354&d=07/15/2011&s=Caydee%20Denney%20and%20John%20Coughlin%20-%20A%20Tale%20of%202%20Champions

Some of the quotes in the article just make me feel for Caitlin all over again.

feraina
07-17-2011, 02:22 AM
Just rewatched Y/C's FS at National's and World's. Anyone else notices that they barely looked at each other? They were "performing" to the audience, but they didn't skate with much chemistry or heart (especially John), despite its' being a very poignant and emotional piece. Maybe skating with Yankowskas just stopped being fun or joyful to Coughlin. It looked like he was just going through the motions, just another day at work.

OTOH, skating with Denney, even though they have been together for much less time and getting basic things down like technical elements and synchrony should require a lot more attention/effort, they look much more at ease with each other, have much more chemistry, and are much happier. They just can't seem to help smiling both during the performance and at the interview.

Skaters don't just skate to please their fans or get good results, they have to be happy doing it, too. I think it's wonderful that they seem to be so happy skating together, and seem to have such good technical basis, too.

Look how far Pang/Tong got with solid techniques and good chemistry (even with obvious shortcomings in skating skills and style). D/C could potentially go really far!

oliver
07-17-2011, 03:24 AM
Caydee would be fourth or more partner with whom John has had a relationship. When the relationship ends that partnership also ends. Perhaps he should be more professional and less needy.

feraina
07-17-2011, 03:42 AM
Caydee would be fourth or more partner with whom John has had a relationship. When the relationship ends that partnership also ends. Perhaps he should be more professional and less needy.

OTOH the Chinese pairs skaters have reaped great success while being romantically involved. Maybe the problem is not enough love in U.S. pairs skating, not too much. :P