PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

JJH
07-15-2011, 05:56 AM
They looked lovely. Thanks Jenna (and Lara)!

Jenna
07-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Not bad at all, for a debut. There were still some minor unison problems, especially in the footwork, and the slight miscue on the pairs spin. But I am so impressed with the progress they've made in the short amount of time they've had together. They'll improve as the season progresses, without a doubt. Denney, for sure, looks more elegant. I think they've got Skate America locked up. Their tricks are fantastic (huge twist :eek:), and Caydee was cat-like, as always, on that throw. Really looking forward to seeing them in the fall. They're definitely going to make a run for the National title this year, or at least a medal.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-15-2011, 06:00 AM
They do suit each other and they skated well. I'll give them that.

That said, they're not to my taste. As of now, they look like kinda Zhang/Zhang-ish, but in an American way (if that makes any sense whatsoever, :lol: ) Hate the program, might be mostly the music. Kinda grates on me.

She finally got a decent costume, thankfully.

I won't be able to warm up to this team until Caitlin Yankowskas is National champ with a new partner.

I'm starting to get a little frightened that Caitlin is gonna end up one of those wasted potential types. A brilliant skater that ends up quitting because she just can't find a partner. I wanna be optimistic, but there's pretty much no news on her. The only speculation we got was a rumor about her trying out with Reiss and that was ages ago.

chipso1
07-15-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm surprised at how improved Caydee looks after such a short period of time. Better stroking, extension, toe point, posture, and hands -- everything is 10x better.

julieann
07-15-2011, 06:43 AM
They do suit each other and they skated well. I'll give them that.

That said, they're not to my taste. As of now, they look like kinda Zhang/Zhang-ish, but in an American way (if that makes any sense whatsoever, :lol: ) Hate the program, might be mostly the music. Kinda grates on me.

I'm afraid I agree with you. I know exactly what you mean about the Zhangs. Their height difference to me is very distracting. Great twist but very boring.

mikemba
07-15-2011, 06:46 AM
They got a partial standing O. More people might have stood except for a small mistake they made toward the end of the program.

I didn't stand but it wasn't because of the small mistake. It's because I'm lazy.:D

MoreIce
07-15-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm afraid I agree with you. I know exactly what you mean about the Zhangs. Their height difference to me is very distracting. Great twist but very boring.

The height difference was distracting to me as well.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
07-15-2011, 06:52 AM

I really noticed a height difference as well. I was surprised that he is so much taller than her.

Maybe it's because I got too used to seeing her with Barrett. They were much closer in height and I always thought she looked rather tallish for a pairs lady because of it.

stjeaskategym
07-15-2011, 08:53 AM
:lol: Could they try any harder to make Caydee look like Caitlin in terms of physical appearance? Same hairstyle, and very similar dress to what Caitlin has recently worn. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I felt even sadder for Caitlin after watching this attempt to create a Caitlin 2.0.

Caydee looked beautiful -- fitter than I remember

I feel like Caydee looks the same (she's always been relatively fit, and she's mature, not a prepubescent little kid). Anyone will look different when they skate with someone half a foot taller than their previous partner. Coughlin is a huge guy.

I don't mind the program (I don't get much out of most pairs SPs anyway- they tend to be somewhat empty). The program is slower, softer, etc, than anything Caydee has ever done before, so maybe that has helped her look a bit. A somewhat blurry video filmed from the stands also helps... I'll feel differently about them once I watch them close up on a high quality picture. They match fine...Their strengths and weaknesses are obviously very similar. The technical elements looked as I figured they would, except for the twist, which is better and more impressive than I imagined. The exit isn't great, but very few people's are. I like the woman on the video who said, "There's something not optimum about that" after the death spiral. :lol: At least they don't have to do a BiDS this yr. Overall, they look how I figured they would, and as we pretty much already assumed, that SA slot is theirs barring injury.

reese
07-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Overall, they look how I figured they would, and as we pretty much already assumed, that SA slot is theirs barring injury.

They should be denied the Skate America spot as a result of that horrid music edit alone! :yikes:

paskatefan
07-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I just returned from Liberty where Denney and Coughlin skated a wonderful short program to "East of Eden." I was amazed at their unison and the ease with with they executed their elements. They looked as though they had been together for years. Caydee still has the spark she always has had, but now it is more reined in and mature. She looked peaceful as she skated and I thought that overall they had a wonderful look. Very, very promising.

Some highlights: an enormous split triple twist with a really cool delay -- she shot straight up and then twisted -- and a throw triple lutz landed right on the crescendo in the music. Fantastic!

We were there last night. They were spectacular!

mgobluegirl
07-15-2011, 11:11 AM
They should be denied the Skate America spot as a result of that horrid music edit alone! :yikes:

YES! I kept thinking so much about how bad the music cuts sounded that I was having trouble focusing on the skating.

orbitz
07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
D/C looked good, but I didn't see any huge improvement over their previous pairings though. Looked the same to me.

I'm getting kind of tired of EOE music.

just tuned in
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by MoreIce

D/C heights looked good to me.

OT: The couple with the distracting height difference is Castelli and Shnapir. :slinkaway

olympic
07-15-2011, 01:08 PM
OK, I'm somewhat impressed [but it could be just because I love the music]

Caydee - looked like she was making a big effort to be elegant and focusing on extension. Even her position in the lift was slightly improved. The bun may generally be a little passe, but she looks much better than she did with the short, choppy hairdo. She was always more secure in her landings than Caitlin.

John - He looks better, like he understands his need to focus on his extension as well [but can't tell if he only looks better because he's no longer in Caitlin's gorgeous shadow]

It looks like they will go for higher levels with the more difficult throw jump and Death spiral than Y/C, probably get a higher GOE on the 3twist, too than Y/C