PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

blue_idealist
06-18-2011, 12:16 AM
It would be nice to hear Caitlin's side of the story on why she and John didn't want to skate together anymore..

I wonder if she's being bribed somehow to keep quiet, or if she's not completely innocent in the situation.

maggylyn
06-18-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...

Except for the Hubbells' split (a good one, IMO), all the splits from these top-level teams have a sense of something stinky going on behind the scenes (Dube/Davison, Yankowskas/Coughlin, Crone/Poirier, Chock/Zuerlein, ...)

No matter how they spin it in the official statements, I'm not buying it.
I'd like to - I really want to believe everyone loves each other and wishes the best for each other and is making all sorts of wise decisions. Somehow it's just not believable.

The D/C team is trying too hard to make everything sound wonderful. It's so OTT it's making things worse.

overedge
06-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Interesting comment posted on www.TeamUSA.org

Since you apparently only signed up to FSU to post two comments on the same issue, I'm guessing you're not exactly a neutral party in this whole affair.

Fan777
06-18-2011, 12:38 AM
I never said I was which is why I said I was glad I wasn't the only one that felt this way.

Also, this has been the "hottest news" in US pairs, so forgive me for following the discipline I am most interested in.

Proustable
06-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Again, if they were to be honest, what could they say that would make you happy? This is what I don't get.

Though I didn't sense anything off about the C/Z split at all. I'm also really naive.

reese
06-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Again, if they were to be honest, what could they say that would make you happy? This is what I don't get.

I think some honesty would have really helped the situation. Even if the original press release had said, "Coughlin has decided to end his partnership with Yankowskas and form a new team with Caydee Denney," I think that would have been better than the way it has actually transpired, honestly. Re-reading this article now (thank you Sylvia for correcting my earlier misreading) it is pretty infuriating that they try to play off their new partnership as a happy accident, totally an afterthought and unrelated to the Yankowskas/Coughlin split.

Sylvia
06-18-2011, 01:46 AM
At the bottom of the TeamUSA.org article there is now a second comment posted by a "Sylvia" (below the first comment by "Anonymous"), and I just wanted to say that it's not me.

Proustable
06-18-2011, 01:47 AM
That statement would've gotten just as many people upset as the original one (the "decided to pair with Denney" part), imo.

As long as all those involved (and I include Caitlin here as someone involved) were up front with each other (and we don't really have any proof to the contrary, as long as Yankowskas doesn't say anything, though I'd love to hear her side of the story. Or to follow that old adage "Living well is the best revenge" and find a skater at her level and kick ass) I guess I find this whole PR thing shallow but largely inoffensive.

Cal Girl
06-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Interesting comment posted on www.TeamUSA.org

http://www.teamusa.org/news/2011/06/15/powerful-denney-coughlin-taking-risks/42864

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...

Agreed 100%!! with the quote - don't know who wrote it but I support it!

chachacha
06-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Agreed 100%!! with the quote - don't know who wrote it but I support it!

I'm sure you do Cal Girl ;)

blue_idealist
06-18-2011, 02:46 AM

Though I didn't sense anything off about the C/Z split at all. I'm also really naive.

No, I agree that the Chock/Zuerlein split is what they said it was although the Dube/Davison and Crone/Poirier ones seemed fishy like the Yankowskas/Coughlin one. I really think Greg Zuerlein is not going to continue with skating.

5Ali3
06-18-2011, 07:05 AM
No, I agree that the Chock/Zuerlein split is what they said it was although the Dube/Davison and Crone/Poirier ones seemed fishy like the Yankowskas/Coughlin one. I really think Greg Zuerlein is not going to continue with skating.

I don't see anything fishy about D/D. To summarize concerns that have been well-discussed on this board: many years ago, they dated and had a very bad breakup, and Bryce's injury is sufficiently severe that it's likely he won't be able to continue skating competitively at an Olympic level. When you include the fact that they've competed at two Olympics, including one in their home country, and won a World medal that they were unlikely to repeat, I would have been more surprised if they continued to skate together.

blue_idealist
06-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't see anything fishy about D/D. To summarize concerns that have been well-discussed on this board: many years ago, they dated and had a very bad breakup, and Bryce's injury is sufficiently severe that it's likely he won't be able to continue skating competitively at an Olympic level. When you include the fact that they've competed at two Olympics, including one in their home country, and won a World medal that they were unlikely to repeat, I would have been more surprised if they continued to skate together.

What was fishy was that Jessica announced she would compete in singles and then came up with a new partner a few weeks later, or maybe it was even more like a couple of weeks.

5Ali3
06-18-2011, 09:29 AM
What was fishy was that Jessica announced she would compete in singles and then came up with a new partner a few weeks later, or maybe it was even more like a couple of weeks.

Ah, I see what you mean. I think the breakup of D/D was inevitable; FWIW, I believe Jess' decision to end the partnership predated her new partnership, but I suspect there was also a significant delay between the decision to breakup and the announcement.

stjeaskategym
06-18-2011, 10:59 AM
That D/C article has been edited slightly. The couple of sentences that referred to USFS having been involved in encouraging John to try out with Caydee have been removed/changed. (Now it says that only Dalilah asked John to try out with Caydee.) Maybe it was edited because USFS doesn't want to be associated with a skater's/coach's alleged decision to try to form a new team while their current team was preparing for Worlds. And maybe they don't want to be associated with a kind of phony baloney story about how they helped persuade John in record time to come out of retirement to try out with Caydee. :lol::rolleyes:

:lol: I think it's a little funny/ridiculous that John, Dalilah, etc. are trying to create this picture perfect story about how this pair came to be. The story hasn't even been kept very consistent... John claims he was set on retirement, yet in the initial press release he said he was "evaluating options". I think it would have helped to mention that he was hoping to skate with a new partner, just as Caitlin did. It would have seemed less disingenuous.

John has every right to split with Caitlin (they are the only two people who know exactly what it was like to work with each other) and immediately pair with Caydee or any random skater off the street. But it doesn't make much sense why they felt the need to really start getting the ball rolling on the D/C partnership before Worlds. If they had just been patient and held off, we wouldn't have to hear about things like them secretly practicing lifts in someone's house. :rolleyes::lol: