PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

acraven
06-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Maybe my reading comprehension sucks, but I read the article twice and didn't see anything that suggested that at all. It only says that they were not happy with each other and John planned to retire after this season. Am I missing something?

No, I don't think you're missing anything, if it's supposed to be in that article.

Sylvia
06-16-2011, 06:04 AM
The part in the article about the end of the Y/C partnership is worded as follows:

He and his partner of four years, Caitlin Yankowskas, decided to end their partnership after the 2011 World Figure Skating Championships in May. The two were no longer happy together.
Note the comma between "Yankowskas" and "decided." I think that's what might be causing some confusion.

I love the Jeff Beck piece they're talking about, and I can see it working for them somewhat. At least much more than any traditional version of Nessun Dorma.
I will reserve judgement until I see the program and hear the edits. :P I think the Vanessa Mae version of "Nessun Dorma" is overused by skaters, but am interested to see how it's combined with the "edgier" Jeff Beck version.

Allen
06-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Their new programs:
SP-- East of Eden
LP-- Nessun Dorma

I'm sorry, but East of Eden?!? Really? I'm going to withhold my judgement on the Nessun Dorma selection since I'm not familiar with that particular version.

Even though I can't say I'm a fan of this pairing, I was at least hoping they would choose music that would highlight her in the right way. I don't think EoE will at all. I'm not a fan of the blockbuster action soundtracks, but something like that would be be a better choice for them, IMO.

Bev Johnston
06-16-2011, 03:58 PM
I will reserve judgement until I see the program and hear the edits. :P I think the Vanessa Mae version of "Nessun Dorma" is overused by skaters, but am interested to see how it's combined with the "edgier" Jeff Beck version.

I personally find this so called "edgier" version to be sparse and dreadful. But then I'm a fan of the classics. :D

kwanette
06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
While she is almost legal, I have to say that I am a little perplexed at how her mother can let this guy's hands all over her. Sorry, but the two just pair up and now they are "an item"? She at 17 and he, what going on 25? Just a little bit of a difference. Where are the parents and what are they watching?!

Who says that they are an item?

AJ Skatefan
06-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Who says that they are an item?

Nobody official, kwanette. Only people who want to spread malicious rumors.

julieann
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
E/L just skated to Nessun Dorma last season, you would think they would want to be more original in their selection.

rfisher
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
sweet fancy moses! why not wear signs that say, "focus on our flaws"

It would make it easier for the judges. :saint:

Cal Girl
06-16-2011, 07:12 PM
I wonder if Dalilah will plaster the "O" face on Caydee to make her womanly.
:rofl:

kwanette
06-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Nobody official, kwanette. Only people who want to spread malicious rumors.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Jenna
06-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm sorry, but East of Eden?!? Really? I'm going to withhold my judgement on the Nessun Dorma selection since I'm not familiar with that particular version.

Even though I can't say I'm a fan of this pairing, I was at least hoping they would choose music that would highlight her in the right way. I don't think EoE will at all. I'm not a fan of the blockbuster action soundtracks, but something like that would be be a better choice for them, IMO.

Well you never know. We all thought Flatt's EOE was going to be a disaster. It turned out to be a huge step up in most people's opinions.

olympic
06-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Well you never know. We all thought Flatt's EOE was going to be a disaster. It turned out to be a huge step up in most people's opinions.

Yeah. But I kinda wish Dalilah would do something a little more original...

hlp728
06-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Here's a live version of Jeff Beck's Nessun Dorma. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUdtpjv0ZI

I'm not too excited about their choices. If they want edgy and different try the Battlestar Galatica soundtracks. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_IsptRrIak) If I was a new team, I would want something new/interesting that hasn't been done, especially if my technique is so-so.

Curious also to see the kinds of costumes they pick.

Fan777
06-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Interesting comment posted on www.TeamUSA.org

http://www.teamusa.org/news/2011/06/15/powerful-denney-coughlin-taking-risks/42864

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...

I find the position that Coughlin, Denney and Dalilah funny. This group does a great job of making it appear that this break up of Yankowskas/Coughlin was a mutual decision and that the decision wasn't made months before(by Dalilah, Coughlin and Denney) the Y/C season was over at Worlds. This article does a great job of making Coughlin, Denney and Dalilah all seem innocent in all of this. I didn't realize that it was appropriate or ethical for a coach to plan to split a team and not only plan it while the Y/C season is still going on, but to go behind the back of Yankowskas and whomever else involved and to secretly train at different rinks and secretly practice lifts in a supporter of the D/C team's home. This all seems like a peculiar thing to do for someone who was planning on retiring after the Y/C season ended. Maybe fans would be more likely to follow and respect US Skating and specifically D/C if they weren't feeding their followers artificial stories to cover their mistakes(maybe not a mistake in their eyes as they seem to be a manipulative and deceiving group). This was a planned partnership and maybe since Yankowskas has remained silent during all of this (maybe taking the high road?) D/C feel that they can not only get away with this, but they can recreate their own edition of the truth.I am ashamed to be involved in a sport and a federation that lacks respect for it's athletes and insults it followers intelligence. Maybe they should rethink their decision to produce stories like these in hopes to gain fans for this new team, and consider ethical treatment for it's athletes in the future.

OrioleBeagle
06-18-2011, 12:12 AM