PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Iceman
05-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Have John and Rena officially retired?

aftershocks
05-23-2011, 02:59 AM
yeah, but the 'we fell in love' reason makes everybody (well, some american fans) go goo-goo eyes dreaming we've got the next gordeeva-grinkov on our hands. i think meno and sand had that in their favor. i think if it were a reason like that denney/coughlin would have told the whole world already. well, now that everybody's spent years wishing baldwin and inoue would retire, maybe it doesn't have the same 'oomph' as before ;)

i'll keep an open mind to see what the new teams will accomplish. yankowkas is way too awesome a partner to not be half of a new team come the next nationals *fingers crossed*

Yes, but I was in no way suggesting "we fell in love" has anything to do with the D/C pairing, nor was "we fell in love" strictly the reason Meno and Sand paired-up. M/S could still have fell in love and remained skating with other partners. The main reason Meno and Sand paired is because they felt a connection as skaters with the same goals and aesthetic for what they felt a partnership could be. BTW, Gordeeva and Grinkov fell in love well after they were paired together by Russian fed (as they grew up together on the ice).

The thing about D/C is I think it wasn't just the two of them making a decision -- others were involved in the decisionmaking, for whatever reason. And the story behind that is what I'm suggesting an investigative journalist might discover.

Also, I certainly am not one of those who "spent years wishing baldwin and inoue would retire," as I enjoy their skating very much.

judgejudy27
05-23-2011, 03:09 AM
The Zhangs have their issues, but they also have strengths that are easily some of the best in the world (and at times, the best in the world). I wouldn't really call their skating clunky either. If they could ever figure out how to present themselves, I might actually find them somewhat appealing. And they did seem to benefit from a somewhat weaker field at times... Once the field became deeper, they couldn't land on a World/Oly podium even with clean skates and top-notch difficulty. I definitely agree that you can never say never because the field can get very thin sometimes, but the judges do not seem to do any favors for pairs who aren't so great in terms of program components.

Agreed. The Zhangs had the best twists, side by side jumps, and possibly throws in the World at one point. They also benefited from the slump of Pang & Tong, the weak era of Russian pairs, the break of Shen & Zhou, and the inconsistency of all the other top pairs of that era, even teams that almost always beat them like the Germans. And they had some strong points to their presentation, just unfortunately not speed, basic skating, or any sort of expression by her. They were also often overmarked, Chinese politiking has become quite strong since their emergence as a pairs force, too bad it wasnt around to help Lu Chen more in her career.

I dont see any of the U.S pairs that can be as good as the Zhangs right now, and the Zhangs never won a major title, and dont seem able to even make a major podium any longer with an improved field.

Jammers
05-23-2011, 04:11 PM
That would be really creepy and illegal if John "fell" in love with Caydee. Isn't she still underage? John on the other hand is 25. ewwwwwww

casken
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Seriously? at some of the stuff being said here.

Even Ina didn't get it this bad.

kwanette
05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
That would be really creepy and illegal if John "fell" in love with Caydee. Isn't she still underage? John on the other hand is 25. ewwwwwww

Yes, it would be. And it's creepy to me that some folks are even talking about it. I'll believe it when it's fact.

kwanfan1818
05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
nor was "we fell in love" strictly the reason Meno and Sand paired-up. M/S could still have fell in love and remained skating with other partners.
Like Evora and Barrett.

The main reason Meno and Sand paired is because they felt a connection as skaters with the same goals and aesthetic for what they felt a partnership could be.
I remember an interview with Natasha Kuchiki, I think from the year they got Worlds bronze. He was significantly older than she was, and she talked about having to get over the "ick" factor to skate with him, and, frankly, in the interview, I wasn't sure she had gotten over it. I wasn't surprised when they split, because who wants to skate with a partner whose age they have a problem with?

MacMadame
05-23-2011, 10:30 PM
And they had some strong points to their presentation, just unfortunately not speed,
The Zhangs were one of the fastest teams out there. This is one reason they were often "overmarked" because speed counts for quite a bit in the scoring but fans don't seem to count it as highly.

the Zhangs never won a major title
They won Jr. Worlds twice. I consider that a major title. But maybe you meant a senior major title. In which case they won 4 CCs twice too. Unless by "major" you meant "Worlds and/or Olympics" in which case many, many teams have never won a major title. It's kind of a limited criteria.

She'll turn 18 in a month. So she hasn't been jail bait for a while. 7 years isn't a big difference in the grand scheme of things IMO. I think it just seems like more because John has male patterned baldness going on so he looks older than 25 in some ways. OTOH, I don't think Caydee looks that young. She could pass for someone in her 20s when she's in full stage makeup IMO.

I don't think this team will have a "he looks like he's skating with his daughter" issue on the ice.

Yes, it would be. And it's creepy to me that some folks are even talking about it. I'll believe it when it's fact.
No one suggested they fell in love. A few people said that *if* they had announced they were skating together because they fell in love that this would have given them a pass and they'd have gotten less criticism.

I'm not a big fan of the "if this happened, you'd all say that" argument, but I do think that when teams break up successful partnerships because they want to skate with some they've fallen in love with, that people do tend to give them a pass at least sometimes. But not always and I suspect that was nothing that would make this pairing okay to some people.

kwanette
05-23-2011, 10:36 PM
The Zhangs were one of the fastest teams out there. This is one reason they were often "overmarked" because speed counts for quite a bit in the scoring but fans don't seem to count it as highly.

They won Jr. Worlds twice. I consider that a major title. But maybe you meant a senior major title. In which case they won 4 CCs twice too. Unless by "major" you meant "Worlds and/or Olympics" in which case many, many teams have never won a major title. It's kind of a limited criteria.

She'll turn 18 in a month. So she hasn't been jail bait for a while. 7 years isn't a big difference in the grand scheme of things IMO. I think it just seems like more because John has male patterned baldness going on so he looks older than 25 in some ways. OTOH, I don't think Caydee looks that young. She could pass for someone in her 20s when she's in full stage makeup IMO.

I don't think this team will have a "he looks like he's skating with his daughter" issue on the ice.

No one suggested they fell in love. A few people said that *if* they had announced they were skating together because they fell in love that this would have given them a pass and they'd have gotten less criticism.

I'm not a big fan of the "if this happened, you'd all say that" argument, but I do think that when teams break up successful partnerships because they want to skate with some they've fallen in love with, that people do tend to give them a pass at least sometimes. But not always and I suspect that was nothing that would make this pairing okay to some people.

I was answering Jammers and what he/she perceives as "creepy".

FSWer
05-23-2011, 10:39 PM
I second that. Denny and Coughlin who?

I think I'm getting it...Caydee has Caitlins old Partner. Did they compete yet?

Sylvia
05-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Did they compete yet?
No, not yet. It looks like Denney/Coughlin's first public skating appearance will be at the "Skate For Hope" benefit show in Columbus, Ohio on June 18, as posted on the previous page of this thread.

This photo was tweeted by US Figure Skating last week -- I think it's a nice shot of both John, wearing a sombrero :lol:, and Caydee): http://twitpic.com/4ywncl

RD
05-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I thought Denney was 18?

kwanette
05-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I thought Denney was 18?

She'll be 18 in June.

RFOS
05-24-2011, 12:55 AM
She'll be 18 in June.

At which point it will instantly become uncreepy. :P

Sparks
05-24-2011, 01:11 AM
:rolleyes:
Skaters who are paired together for competition reasons are not creepy. Posters who think creepy things about said skaters are...imo