PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Coughlin announce pairs partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

rfisher
05-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Now, now, rfisher. Denney/Coughlin are bound to be as equally graceful and quiet over the ice as Kawaguchi/Smirnov or the Zhangs. :EVILLE:

:lol: You forget all the other Russian pairs-in-waiting. ;)

My secket wish is that Kawaguchi might decide that she needs to retire before doing permanent damage to her shoulder and that Smirnov is available. If I were in charge in Russia, I'd pair him with Bazarova (yes, I know she and Larionov are a couple but so are Morozov and Volo) because they'd be incredibly hot. Or even better he'd decide to come to America and I could put him with CY

peibeck
05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
:lol: You forget all the other Russian pairs-in-waiting. ;)

I didn't forget them; I think it is just a bit funny all the :drama: over people crying how clunky and ungraceful D/C will be and how that can never possible achieve success. Meanwhile, I think of those couples and am always amazed at their success. (Although I do give K/S props for their improved style this past season).

No, I don't really expect them on the podium at Worlds or the Olympics... but I guess one should never say never, either. Who would have predicted Gachinski as a World medalist this year? ;)

rfisher
05-20-2011, 07:24 PM
I didn't forget them; I think it is just a bit funny all the :drama: over people crying how clunky and ungraceful D/C will be and how that can never possible achieve success. Meanwhile, I think of those couples and am always amazed at their success. (Although I do give K/S props for their improved style this past season).

No, I don't really expect them on the podium at Worlds or the Olympics... but I guess one should never say never, either. Who would have predicted Gachinski as a World medalist this year? ;)

The Zhangs technique wasn't bad 3-4 years ago although they've not been the same for a while. While K/S aren't my favorite of the Russian teams, they also are light years ahead of what D/C will become or even Y/C for that matter. I had no expectation that they would be contenders for a Worlds or Olympic podium, but did think they might make a GPF. Not necessarily medal, but make the finals which is better than any US pair has done in a long time. :( But, that's not to be. If Caitlin finds a partner, I'll pay attention again. If not, that's OK because there are so many fantastic international pairs this quad that I'm happy.

madm
05-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Technically September 1, I believe. That's the qualifying competition entry deadline in the US.

I remember when Rockne teamed up with Mariel Miller in July 2003 in Novice Pairs - both had split with their previous partners shortly before that. They got two programs together in time to compete at a local Denver competition in late August and then register for Sectionals by Sept. 1. That's the fastest I've ever seen a team come together! And they skated very well together. They got 1st at 2004 Mids and 2nd at 2004 Nationals. So it is certainly do-able for Caitlin to do well if she partners with an experienced pair skater. Time is getting short to be able to compete at Indy, but she could certainly register for the U.S. qualifying competitions by Sept. 1. Of course all the new teams would like to compete at Indy because USFS will be monitoring teams there and could give them a Fall international assignment.

madm
05-20-2011, 09:01 PM
[
I remember when Rockne teamed up with Mariel Miller in July 2003 in Novice Pairs - both had split with their previous partners shortly before that. They got two programs together in time to compete at a local Denver competition in late August and then register for Sectionals by Sept. 1. That's the fastest I've ever seen a team come together! And they skated very well together. They got 1st at 2004 Mids and 2nd at 2004 Nationals.

Correction, I remember that they had to skate Regionals first in those days. Now pairs start at Sectionals. We had a lot more pairs back then - there were 10 teams in Novice Pairs at 2004 Sectionals in Dallas!

stjeaskategym
05-21-2011, 12:51 AM

The Zhangs have their issues, but they also have strengths that are easily some of the best in the world (and at times, the best in the world). I wouldn't really call their skating clunky either. If they could ever figure out how to present themselves, I might actually find them somewhat appealing. And they did seem to benefit from a somewhat weaker field at times... Once the field became deeper, they couldn't land on a World/Oly podium even with clean skates and top-notch difficulty. I definitely agree that you can never say never because the field can get very thin sometimes, but the judges do not seem to do any favors for pairs who aren't so great in terms of program components.

Iceman
05-21-2011, 12:54 AM
I wonder if they will be able to stay together until the Olympics. In any case, I hope they can youthify his look so she won't look like she is skating with her uncle.

stjeaskategym
05-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I wonder if they will be able to stay together until the Olympics. In any case, I hope they can youthify his look so she won't look like she is skating with her uncle.

I think Caydee looks rather mature for her age. Unless you mean that you think John looks a lot older.

Iceman
05-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I think John looks old mannish in the same way John( Of Rena and; sorry john i can't recall your last name lol) always did.

GoldenMichelle
05-21-2011, 03:17 AM
The USFS press release on the new pairing states:

http://usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46171&type=media

I don't they they were implying that John was the one who broke it off just that that he was in a partnership that ended, as the same article says Caydee moved to CO after ending her partnership with Jeremy. (and I'm pretty sure this was mutual or if anything more Jeremy than Caydee).

aftershocks
05-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I think John looks old mannish in the same way John( Of Rena and; sorry john i can't recall your last name lol) always did.

It's John Baldwin and Rena Inoue. John was a singles skater in the senior men's event at Nationals for many years before he paired up with Rena. John comes from a family of skaters.

Re D/C, would be quite interesting if the real story could be told by an investigative ice journalist -- not for tawdry gossip purposes, but just for a wider understanding of what's going on in U.S. pairs these days, and to maybe shed some light on the inner workings/ back story of this sport, which is too often shuttered. When Jenni Meno and Todd Sand split with their partners many years ago, there was a lot more openness about what happened and why. If an attempt had been made to be more open and honest in the current case, there would still have been disappointment, but perhaps not quite as many upset feelings and speculation by fans.

sk8rfan
05-22-2011, 04:54 AM
thought you might be interested....

New US Pairs team Caydee Denney & John Coughlin will make their FIRST Appearance at Skate for Hope! Be the first to see this New team!

Sylvia
05-22-2011, 04:58 AM
"Skate for Hope" is June 18 in Columbus, Ohio: http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Headliners

skfan
05-22-2011, 06:13 AM
It's John Baldwin and Rena Inoue. John was a singles skater in the senior men's event at Nationals for many years before he paired up with Rena. John comes from a family of skaters.

Re D/C, would be quite interesting if the real story could be told by an investigative ice journalist -- not for tawdry gossip purposes, but just for a wider understanding of what's going on in U.S. pairs these days, and to maybe shed some light on the inner workings/ back story of this sport, which is too often shuttered. When Jenni Meno and Todd Sand split with their partners many years ago, there was a lot more openness about what happened and why. If an attempt had been made to be more open and honest in the current case, there would still have been disappointment, but perhaps not quite as many upset feelings and speculation by fans.

yeah, but the 'we fell in love' reason makes everybody (well, some american fans) go goo-goo eyes dreaming we've got the next gordeeva-grinkov on our hands. i think meno and sand had that in their favor. i think if it were a reason like that denney/coughlin would have told the whole world already. well, now that everybody's spent years wishing baldwin and inoue would retire, maybe it doesn't have the same 'oomph' as before ;)

i'll keep an open mind to see what the new teams will accomplish. yankowkas is way too awesome a partner to not be half of a new team come the next nationals *fingers crossed*

kittyjake5
05-22-2011, 12:53 PM
"Skate for Hope" is June 18 in Columbus, Ohio: http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Headliners

Great cast and cause. I did not know that Marcy Hinzman was skating pairs with her husband Lee.